Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildanach

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2009, 04:25:28 PM

If McGarrity fit to start[ and I believe now there is a chance he will be]

is that from a good source? it would be great if he was

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ross4life

i've been to the last couple of Galway v Mayo Games & will be their sunday again (rossies minors playing) here's hoping it's another good game like last year, which was one of the best games of the year.

but rarely have i seen a good game in salthill it's a pity tuam is no more  :-\ i expect a close low scoring game here with Galway to win by 2pts
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2009, 04:25:28 PM
Totally agree. As a county we never seem to learn from the lessons of the past. Where this confidence is coming from I cant see.

Our display v Roscommon said as much about them on the day as it did us. Galway did what they had to do against Sligo. Not brilliant but I was impressed with a lot of their game. Dont think either of those games give any real indication of what will happen the next day.

If McGarrity fit to start[ and I believe now there is a chance he will be] then I give us a 50/50 call but with a large dose of heart in there. If Ronan is absent I would nt be that hopeful. Hard to quantify one players influence but if he s not able to play I would call it the region of a 3-5 point swing to Galway.

Mayos midfield is probably our strong point if McGarity does play...
If not Parsons will get the nod although he has gone of the boil since the U21 campaign.

Either way,
what will happen if when Galway crowd the middle (which I fully expect) and leave Sean Armstrong and Meehan inside with acres of space ?
:-\

Sean Armstrong and Meehan Vs (2 of...)

Cafferkey - Untested
O Malley - Lacks Game Time
Higgins - Did Ok against Ross, our most experienced in full back line (at what age?)
Vaughan - Struggled a little with pace of the corner. Didnt look comfortable with people running at him.

Quote from: ross4life on July 13, 2009, 04:40:37 PM
... i expect a close low scoring game here with Galway to win by 2pts

On the contrary I think it will be a high scoring game. Both full forward lines will do damage and I expect both nets to be rattled.

myball22

It all depends on the midfield really. If Galway can break anyways close to 50-50 at midfield then they have a great chance. In last year's Connacht Final we were wiped out at midefield for around the last 15 mins of the half half and first 20 mins of the second half. Only we rattled in two goals before the game settled down, we would have been in big trouble, as it was it was level with ten minutes to go after been 6 points up at one stage.
We ended up with four or five midfielder on at one stage against Sligo and again we go into a Connacht final with questions over midfield.
I think our backs get unfair criticism at times (and there is some lazy journalistic minds about Glaway forwards being brilliant and backs being shite) but they won't cope if Mayo break anymore than 60-40 at midfield.

moysider

Quote from: myball22 on July 13, 2009, 05:08:42 PM
It all depends on the midfield really. If Galway can break anyways close to 50-50 at midfield then they have a great chance. In last year's Connacht Final we were wiped out at midefield for around the last 15 mins of the half half and first 20 mins of the second half. Only we rattled in two goals before the game settled down, we would have been in big trouble, as it was it was level with ten minutes to go after been 6 points up at one stage.
We ended up with four or five midfielder on at one stage against Sligo and again we go into a Connacht final with questions over midfield.
I think our backs get unfair criticism at times (and there is some lazy journalistic minds about Glaway forwards being brilliant and backs being shite) but they won't cope if Mayo break anymore than 60-40 at midfield.

That says a lot really. Not many teams think they have a chance of winning with 40% of possession. Anytime we only get 40% there s a cricket score against us.

Farrandeelin

I have to agree with the Mayo posters here. It never is easy to get a victory in Galway. I wonder would O'Mahony risk putting McLoughlin on in the cornerback position. I doubt it though. If it descends into a dogfight and is wet, I can't see Kevin Mc been much good. IF McGarrity's back it will be a boost to us in centrefield. Heaney will have to prove that he hadn't a one off against Ros the last day there. In all fairness, Ros were terrible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2009, 11:20:37 PM
I have to agree with the Mayo posters here. It never is easy to get a victory in Galway. I wonder would O'Mahony risk putting McLoughlin on in the cornerback position. I doubt it though. If it descends into a dogfight and is wet, I can't see Kevin Mc been much good. IF McGarrity's back it will be a boost to us in centrefield. Heaney will have to prove that he hadn't a one off against Ros the last day there. In all fairness, Ros were terrible.

indeed we were terrible just like the last time i saw Mayo in salthill & i'm sure you won't want a repeat of that  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Well, I wasn't there that day as I had an exam in Dublin the following morning at 9am. So they won't be as bad this time!! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2009, 11:20:37 PM

It depends what people want from Heaney. I d be delighted with a grafting, sweeping supporting game with the odd drive forward but being Mayo most fans will be looking for high catching and if he does nt do that there ll be grumbling. Enda McGinley probably the most effective midfielder at the minute, but he hardly ever outfields anybody. Some people like the Nicolas Murphy s but give me McGinley every time. As far as I m concerned Heaney is the perfect foil for McGarrity. We ll have to wait and see if Parsons and Heaney work as well. But I dont think Heaney has anything to prove to anybody. If we had 10 Heaneys last 13 years we d be sitting pretty. We ve other things to consider before we start looking at Heaney imo.

I dont think he ll start McLoughlin. I think he ll go with O Malley with Vaughan as back-up. Personally I think McL a better marker than Vaughan for what its worth.

RedandGreenSniper

Heaney is exactly what we need at midfield. He was quietly effective against Roscommon and I've little doubt he'll be the same on Sunday. Anyone know when the team is being announced?? Hand on heart Moysider can you see McGarrity starting?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 13, 2009, 11:40:36 PM
Heaney is exactly what we need at midfield. He was quietly effective against Roscommon and I've little doubt he'll be the same on Sunday. Anyone know when the team is being announced?? Hand on heart Moysider can you see McGarrity starting?

I m hopeful he can yet. He s training and he took part in a squad game at the weekend. Still a long shot but there s a chance. The fracture was described as a non displaced fracture. That means though while there are cracks, thankfully nothing out of place. Ye can still sup tea out of a cracked cup.

GBXII

Ye boys dont seem to have much faith in Tom Parsons? I'd be of the opinion that he's a quality player (as talented as McGarity but lacking the experience) and that this idea that he was in poor form recently is a bit overblown...

The flame still burns

Maigheo Abu

Loools very like Ronan will be at least on the bench. If so Johhno can't grumble too much. It's going to be as tight as tuppence.
Why don't they do a park & ride from Ballybrit, at least 75% of the traffic will be coming from that direction.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

moysider

Quote from: GBXII on July 14, 2009, 12:03:27 AM
Ye boys dont seem to have much faith in Tom Parsons? I'd be of the opinion that he's a quality player (as talented as McGarity but lacking the experience) and that this idea that he was in poor form recently is a bit overblown...

I m a bit bemused myself with some posts about Parsons, to be honest. Was nt aware that his form had bottomed out or anything.

Parsons is a top player. But it s not as simple as 'McGar is out, so what? Tom Parsons will do as good a job or better'

My views on TP well posted at this stage. I would have him on starting 15 even if Ronan were fit and well while keeping the McGar/Heaney partnership in midfield.

McGar missing would weaken our hand considersably. If Parsons starts there s steadiness on the bench but hardly gamewinners. I mean if the Galway fullback line copes with Moran/O Shea axis and Burke beats up Kilcoyne, its hard to see Conoreen come on and slap Burke around?