Ulster Rugby

Started by The GAA, April 23, 2009, 12:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Didn't see an ulster rugby thread to post this in, so here goes....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/8012861.stm

Ulster have signed hooker Andy Kyriacou from English Premiership side Saracens in a two-year deal.

The 26-year-old Irish qualified player, who spent five seasons at Saracens, will move to Ravenhill this summer.

Kyriacou enjoyed an impressive loan spell with Heineken Cup holders Munster during the 2006-07 season.

"Matt Williams has got a good young squad at Ulster that's looking to go places and it will be exciting to be a part of that," said Kyriacou.

He added: "I thoroughly enjoyed the short period I had in the Magners League with Munster.

"It's very competitive with rugby that's fast and tough and there are no weak teams in there.

Kyriacou will compete with Ireland hooker Rory Best for a place in the Ulster XV, as well as the experienced Nigel Brady.

Indeed, he has played against Ulster captain Best at U21 national level.

"Obviously, I'll have to work hard for a starting place in the squad with stiff competition from Rory and Nigel but I'm really looking forward to a fresh challenge and intend to compete for a place."

Kyriacou, who started his career with Sale and Leeds, was part of England's Grand Slam winning squad in the 2004 U21 Six Nations Championship.

He will not be the only arrival at Ravenhill this summer - Ulster signed blind-side flanker Tamaiti Horua from Super 14 side Western Force last month.

Does this point to rory best moving on? possibly to leinster?

Gnevin

Ulster should be trying to get Bowe too come back.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

Good signing, good player helps that he's Irish qualified too, yer man Brady doesn't seem up to the mark.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 23, 2009, 12:29:14 PM
Good signing, good player helps that he's Irish qualified too, yer man Brady doesn't seem up to the mark.
Even if he's played U21 for England?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The GAA

What is the IRFU funding numbers forsaleries etc in all 4 provinces? obviously the west gets less but do the other 3 get the same?

Gnevin

Quote from: The GAA on April 23, 2009, 01:05:31 PM

What is the IRFU funding numbers forsaleries etc in all 4 provinces? obviously the west gets less but do the other 3 get the same?

They get the same from the IFRU. However Leinster and Munster are making money and so get to keep a percentage of the funds they generate too .

Dinny Breen

QuoteEven if he's played U21 for England?

Underage doesn't count only senior appearances.
#newbridgeornowhere