Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

My calls this weekend:

SFC:

Quarters:
Tourlestrane will thump Drumcliffe by 10+.
Curry to take Johns by between 3 and 5 points.
Harps will take Tubber by about 6.
I have a sneaking feeling for Calry in the last game. Maybe they'll sneak it by a point.

Relegation:
Ballymote to beat Castleconnor, Mary's to beat Geevagh and maybe, just maybe, we'll get our act together and take Shamrock Gaels.

IFC:

Quarters:
Wins for Pats, Michaels and Farnans expected. Mullinabreena v. Molaise will be close, possibly a draw.

Relegation:
Enniscrone should take Curry and Cloonacool will be lucky to have a team to play against. If 15 red and blacks do turn out they will be hammered by a lot more than their seniors.

Teeling Gael

Agree with all off Seanies predictions and even winning margin predictions with a couple of exceptions . I expect Easkey to beat Calry in senior , Marys actually to beat Michaels in intermediate and in the close one in the intermediates , Mholaises to beat Coolaney in a now or never match for the Grange lads ( Coolaney seem to be ruling out Kivlehan for this match and indeed rest of championship).

I had thought I was unique in expecting Harps to beat Tubber relatively handy but Seanie obviously thinks so too. Personally think Tubbers strengths and weaknesses suit the setup of Harps perfectly

Owenmoresider

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship

Quarter finals

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt      0-4           Tourlestrane                        1-15

Easkey                       0-11          Calry/St Josephs                   0-9

Eastern Harps               0-13          Tubbercurry                         1-5

St Johns                     0-10          Curry                                 0-10

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship

Quarter finals

Eastern Harps               0-11          St Farnans                           1-12

St Michaels                  0-15          St Marys                             1-8

St Molaise Gaels            0-11          Coolaney/Mullinabreena          1-5

Tourlestrane                1-7           St Patricks                           1-10

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship Relegation

Group:  A

Curry                         0-6           Enniscrone                          0-4

Group:  B

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt V Cloonacool (walkover for Cloonacool)

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship Relegation

Group:  A

Castleconnor                0-11          Ballymote                            0-10

Coolera/Strandhill         3-9           Shamrock Gaels                    0-9

Group:  B

St Marys                     2-8           Geevagh                             1-11

The above sentiments on Tubber were correct. Could have caused problems for Harps but the shooting was awful. Harps were impressive in parts, but a better team would have punished them with those chances. Still they should handle Easkey in the semi-final. Calry came close, apparently hitting the post in injury time. Close was something that couldn't be said for Tourlestrane/Drumcliffe - Drumcliffe are poor at best and it showed. Curry and John's drew - and it appears that John's had the chances to win it. May be left behind now, but at least they appeared for Curry this time.

In the relegation playoffs, Coolera got it together to put serious pressure on Shams - failure to beat Castleconnor and they'll have to resort to the rulebook, otherwise they are down. Castleconnor pulled off another surprise win, this time over Ballymote. Geevagh and Mary's drew, leaving the Bunnies having to beat Geevagh to stay up. Who would have thought it?

In Intermediate, all went as expected. Molaise Gaels edged out Mullinabreena, and three penalties were missed - two for Grange and a last-minute one for Mullinabreena to win it. And both teams that emerged from the 'group of death' went out, as Michael's beat Mary's. By four points, not one as Ocean kept saying. Missing one point is forgiveable, but three points smacks of incompetence, or cynically trying to dress it up - either way Michael's are on course for the final. Pat's beat Tourlestrane, not much in it, and Farnan's showed that they might have something to back it up this year, beating Harps in the other QF. Farnan's-Michael's final in prospect IMO.

In the Intermediate relegation, Enniscrone lost to Curry, which was all we needed. A 5+ win required or else it's a return to Junior again. Drumcliffe will be going there anyway, as they didn't turn up, much as we expected. Disgraceful.

Teeling Gael

OMS , in regards to our situation , if we were to beat Curry in that relegation match , my understanding was that it would be another 3 way playoff as points difference is irrelevant for relegation ??

magpie seanie

Almost correct TG - you cannot get relegated on scoring difference. However, the team with the best scoring difference would be safe with the other two playing off (this is what happened to us last year if you remember). So if you win your last game you are at worst in a playoff.

A crazy sequence of events involving a surprise trip to Dublin and car trouble meant I missed our lads game against Shamrock Gaels. Apparently it followed the theme of our most recent meeting in the championship - we hammer them and Tuohy goes down whining like a bitch and gets Carew sent off. From what I hear Carew may actually have done something this time after severe provocation. Unfortunately, Shams are not gone yet as a ridiculous situation is being allowed to happen with their last game. I'm told it will now take place on the Friday to facilitate several of their players who are going to the Rugby World Cup. Generous folk that they are, Castleconnor have agreed to play without their 5 Dublin players. I would have thought that final group games should take place at the same time? If lads want to go to the RWC rather han try and save their clubs senior status then they deserve to go to intermediate. Its a complete joke and the CCC should not allow it.

Anyway, eventually got back to Sligo and attended the St. John's v. Curry game. John's were extremely unfortunate to not win and may rue the chances they missed. Conventional wisdom may dictate that they've lost their chance but as long as they don't believe that I think they could actually do it the next day. I've had my doubts about Curry for a while and even though they may get over the next hurdle I'd be surprised to see them win it. It's Harps for me. Did anyone hear about O'Hara's antics in the Tour v. Drumcliff game? I hear he got another double yellow - are there implications for him from this?

Intermediate went along expected lines with Molaise Gaels win being the only minor surprise to myself.

Teeling Gael

Seanie, regarding last years intermediate playoff , are you sure the 3 teams weren't involved the second time ? Remember Curry beating Michaels by a couple of points , then ye thrashing Curry and then losing to Michaels by a point. Ye definitely would have best point difference out of those 3 matches. In playoff , did Michaels not beat Curry and ye then lost to Curry in "final". Obviously you were involved so I'll bow to your superior knowledge if the above doesn't seem right to you.

Regardless of world cups and guys in Dublin , I'd fully expect Gaels to beat Castleconnor as simply they have way more to play for. Hence the losers of yourselves and Ballymote are in a losers take all relegation playoff. The above scenario encapulsates more of whats wrong with the relegation system than anything else we wrote.

EScroneman

I heard that the positions were to be decided by score difference this year and there were to be no play off's. This is a link I found to the PRO column on the Sligo GAA page - see end of 1st paragraph. If this is the case then we are safe due to our scoring difference no matter who wins between owenmore and curry. We were very poor in the forwards against Curry and are depressed at the moment - this season can't end quickly enough for me.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:9RgtgWMPSEkJ:www.sligogaa.ie/PROItem.aspx%3F%3D80+sligo+gaa+%2B+points+difference&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ie

magpie seanie

No TG - it went like this:

Round 1 - we hammered Calry by about 15 and Curry beat Michaels by 2 or 3;
Round 2 - Curry beat Calry by 4 or 5, Michaels beat us by 3 in "Battle of Ballintogher";
Round 3 - We beat Curry by 5; Michaels hammered already relegated Calry by a few points more than required to pass us out (20+)

So ourselves, Michaels and Curry all had 4 points, Calry had zero and were gone. Michaels had best points diff so were safe and we played off v. Curry and got a bit of a lesson.

Gaels have lost by 7 and 9 points to the two teams that have lost to Castleconnor yet we expect them to beat C/connor. Something is wrong.

To answer EScroneman's point - it was also confirmed on the website that you couldn't be relegated on scoring difference before the relegation process started.

Teeling Gael

Thanks Seanie. Had clean forgotten about Calry and couldn't understand how ye weren't top on scoring averages. We simply have to beat Curry to get a second game against them. (realistically we wouldn't beat them by the 15 points needed !!) Sadly with injuries mounting and apathy building( my overriding emotion when I heard Curry result was that a playoff would mean extra games and thats a sure sign that its time for a break) , I am not overconfident.Fair play EScroneman for posting today , at least you are not a sunshine poster !!

Owenmoresider

Had forgotten that the scoring difference didn't come into it, which makes it all the better - we only have to beat Curry twice. Great.

Curry-John's replay on tomorrow, I'm going for Curry to get through, by a few points but no hiding. Hopefully Geevagh keep at it and do us one of two big favours too.

magpie seanie

Curry will probably scrape by but if John's have real belief in themselves they can still do it. Being brutally honest the Curry team lacks pace and they cannot improve that in a week. John's tactics were right the last day and hard to counter. Curry are not great at carrying the ball from the HB line but will need to do so to win.

It's hard to see how Coolaney/Mullinabreena would beat Geevagh - especially as the latter still have to win those games to be sure of 1B next year.

Despite some jiggery pokery our game v. Ballymote is on the weekend after next (22nd/23rd). Loser likely to have another go at Shams.

Owenmoresider

I think Geevagh are up as it stands -  St. Molaise Gaels can't catch them IIRC. In any case a league final, and a do-or-die (or draw, in their case) playoff with the Bunnies should keep them going for another while. But these playoffs are dragging things out, not to mention the "best loser" final after it.

Edit - I see they can be caught, but Geevagh do have the game in hand.

Teeling Gael

OMS -- Think Geevagh have to win one of the 2 matches to be sure of promotion so fully expect them to win tomorrow. Its the return match when Coolaney have everything to play for and Geevagh nothing is the match I'd worry about. Seanie , did you think ye'll be in a position to field against us or the gap between games to greatto arouse any interest ??

magpie seanie

Unlikely we will be able to field. We told the CCC when we failed to field the last day that we would most likely not be able to muster up the troops for the final round. I'd love a game (I'd play 2 games a week if I got them - its training I have issues with!) and we'll try to get a team out but I'd be surprised if we got a team and stunned if we threatened taking the points.

SLIGONIAN

I was at the Curry johns replay on sat nite.. absolutely great stuff to watch.. great intensity and end to end football. Both clubs are a credit to Sligo football. Harris will star of the future, 6ft plus and great left foot and only 17. Harrison was very good and mcgarty too. Mcnamara was quiet until ET. Marren looked very sharp and did well as did davey. But teams had unknown players(to me anyway) play well. Johns might sneak replay but it being in tubber is advantage to curry. I think the manager stenson might cost St john , he started mcgarty corner forward and mcnamara wing forward both werent involved in the first half and johns got cleaned at midfield. If he starts them midfield I think theyll win.

I also was at Curry St molaise gaels u16 A semi and was very impressed. Jonny kelly for us is star of the future if he keeps developing. Great balance, left foot and vision. St Johns have a forward called Dylan Healy I think. He is without doubt best young forward I have ever seen. Great pace and unbelieavble strike at pace with his right boot. There must some talent in Sligo when I heard that Johns team were beat in the final on Sat. The have great team..

Sligo has great players at u16 level from what I can see. Its about getting the right manager in to nurture this talent.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"