Exprimental Football Rules

Started by The GAA, April 03, 2009, 12:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this year's experimental rules be retained for the championship and eventually club football?

Yes
35 (33.7%)
No
66 (63.5%)
Abstain
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

The GAA

How would you vote if you were carrying your county's voting mandate?

corn02

Most counties will vote no, they will be passed anyway.

The GAA

What are you basing that on corn?

orangeman

Quote from: corn02 on April 03, 2009, 12:28:00 PM
Most counties will vote no, they will be passed anyway.

GAA democracy is alive and well then !

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on April 03, 2009, 12:29:01 PM

What are you basing that on corn?

The fact that the powers that be were disappointed that the sin-bin experiment and those rules a few years ago were dismissed so quicly. There is a real drive to get these passed.

I except a little bit of tweaking and then they will be passed.

The aims originally were to get higher scores, less fouls and punish those serial foulers. Doesn't matter how they got there and how disruptive they have been, the GAA will see these aims as being achieved and will pass them in my opinion anyway.

under the bar

They ill only make an impact if every referees apply them equally, which will never happen.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: under the bar on April 03, 2009, 12:54:37 PM
They ill only make an impact if every referees apply them equally, which will never happen.

Were any of the referees on the panel who drew up these new rules?
Or has any referee made any comment about them?

I think it makes the life more difficult for them.
The games that have been refeered well this year the refeere has ignored or not fully followed the new rules.

Tempoman

Anybody know what way their counties are going to be voting. Fermanagh are saying no to the rule change

The GAA

How do you knw how you're county are voting? I asked my club and they say they haven't heard anything.

making changes to the playing rules before a vote to get themthrough would be ludicrus. the whole point of an experimentation period is see how they work in practice. any last minute "tweaks" would therefore not be trialled.

thejuice

The thing is, for me there is some good in these new rules, but I guess they dont out weigh the bad aspects of it. so I guess its 'No' for me.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on April 03, 2009, 02:08:32 PM

How do you knw how you're county are voting? I asked my club and they say they haven't heard anything.

making changes to the playing rules before a vote to get themthrough would be ludicrus. the whole point of an experimentation period is see how they work in practice. any last minute "tweaks" would therefore not be trialled.

I think one of the officials said that the tackling rule was going to be tweaked?

What do you think GAA, will they go through?

The GAA

Haven't a notion corn. All i know is that everyone i know involved in football, to a man, want rid of them.

Zulu

I'd like to see them stay, there is no reason they can't go through a championship or two to see how things pan out in the white heat of summer. If they don't work then they can be abandoned but I don't see how they have negatively impacted on football or hurling so far, yes there were some harsh decisions and refs didn't implement them to theletter of the law but we need some deterrent to fouling and the old rules simply didn't provide that. I didn't see one game this year that was rubbish because of the new rules.

screenexile

I want to see rid of them as I mentioned before if you make an honest tackle for the ball and miss it you can be gone for the rest of the game and that system in just not fair. THey should have trialled the sin bin again for those type of fouls and it would have made more sense. The fact you could substitute a player because they were yellow carded was to stop games ending up 11v11 and so on but once people got used to the sin bin it would have been fine. For that reason I think these rule changes should be scrapped.

Also one rule I would like to see introduced above all others is a Mark for a catch from a kickout. I think that would be a great one to have!

Zulu

I agree that the sin bin is the way to go but by keeping these rules the sin bin might be more easily introduced, anyway if a ref is good he can tell what was a legitimate attempt at a tackle and what is a blatant foul. I'd doubt too many lads can name games where the rules have actual made the game poorer, there will always be bad calls by refs but in this system you won't be too heavily punished for it. One thing for sure is the old rules didn't seem a deterrent to serious fouling.