Would you save a stranger?

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 02, 2009, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoghan Mag

Been there, done that. Instinct kicks in. If something dangerous is happening I tend to dive straight in as much as my current state of health allows. It can be really funny afterwards realising what danger I put myself in, but sure that's just life. I suppose when you get used to working in dangerous situations lots of other things outside that sphere come across as a cakewalk. Having a really loud voice is one of my greatest 'stun weapons'. It tends to throw people for six and has often given me time to act. Never underestimate either the power of the smile and a crazy sense of humour. Its like Flash the smile afterwards - 'I thought you were someone else!'

pintsofguinness

So it happened me this evening - was on my way home minding my own business when this boy came running out of a pub and across a very busy road with a thug in pursuit. Thug caught up with the other fellow and floored him, got two or three kicks at his head before myself and  2 or 3 others got intervening. One of them being a man of about 60 who ran up the street past a crowd of people at a bus stop to help. Thug ran off. Other fella out cold, police and ambulance arrives, witness statements etc. Mad.

Anyway, shame on anyone who'd just walk on.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lady GAA GAA

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2010, 09:01:37 PM
You might have just saved a weirdo from a good kicking.
I know you shouldn't judge but I did get the impression he was just as big a thug as the boy who done it.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 21, 2010, 09:03:29 PM
I know you shouldn't judge but I did get the impression he was just as big a thug as the boy who done it.

More fool you for helping a sc**bag then IMHO...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 21, 2010, 09:15:09 PM

I didn't think he was a sc**bag until later, my first thought was there's a human being getting his head repeatedly kicked and stamped on....

Dougal

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 21, 2010, 09:18:39 PM

I didn't think he was a sc**bag until later, my first thought was there's a human being getting his head repeatedly kicked and stamped on....

so if you did think he was a sc**bag aswell,would you still of jumped in?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dougal on April 21, 2010, 09:43:34 PM

Yes.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2010, 09:53:05 PM
"Jumped in" is a bit strong. He may have have just stood there and said "Knock that on the head".
:D there was no time for karate kid style moves - the sight of a couple of people heading towards him and he fucked off. I could have taken him though! grrrr

why don't you believe me LL?

mylestheslasher

A few years ago I was in my local. There is this sc**bag I know, he comes into the pub and starts giving this quiet sort of lad a load of abuse.Slags him, his mother his wife the whole lot. The quiet lads invites him outside and the sc**bag is only too happy to go. The quiet lad beat seven shades of shite out of him. Now if I were a stranger passing on the street I see 1 man hammer another, should I intervene? Maybe the line should be drawn when one man is down and out and the other is still beating him. Its not a simple issue anyway.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 21, 2010, 10:37:21 PM
A few years ago I was in my local. There is this sc**bag I know, he comes into the pub and starts giving this quiet sort of lad a load of abuse.Slags him, his mother his wife the whole lot. The quiet lads invites him outside and the sc**bag is only too happy to go. The quiet lad beat seven shades of shite out of him. Now if I were a stranger passing on the street I see 1 man hammer another, should I intervene? Maybe the line should be drawn when one man is down and out and the other is still beating him. Its not a simple issue anyway.
When one man is lying defenceless on the ground getting his head kicked? Yes, I think the line should be drawn before then.

boojangles

Anybody got a Blue Peter badge for Pints?? I have none left.

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 21, 2010, 10:37:21 PM

I won't wade in there beating the crap out of someone, but I would certainly like to think I'd try and break the fight up.

I couldn't live with my conscience if I walked on and then it ended with serious head injuries or death.
Testing Accessibility

ludermor

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 21, 2010, 09:49:34 PM
Quote from: Dougal on April 21, 2010, 09:43:34 PM

Yes.
Paul Quinn or one of his ilk?