The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

One of the first thing that got tackled post financial crash in the UK, public sector pension reform. Never mind the Banks, tax evasion etc... I remember Andrew Neil referring to it as the Government going after ' the low hanging fruit' option at the time, public opinion was easily swayed. Times of crisis (& recovery) are cover for a lot of unpalatable policy, there will be carnage after this!

Eamonnca1

Oh, and blue states have been subsidizing the red states for decades. You're welcome.

trailer

Any of you crazy Americans inject disinfectant over the weekend?

whitey

As a blue state Democrat, why are you okay with your tax dollars paying $100K pensions to politically connected people who retire @ age 49, then the following Monday start a new (political patronage)  job  making $200K +? (And possibly qualify for a second and third pension)

https://www.bettergov.org/news/cta-execs-ride-the-pension-express/

Gmac

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
Any of you crazy Americans inject disinfectant over the weekend?
no, more of a uv light man .

Gabriel_Hurl

Plenty of it down here this weekend GMac

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on April 26, 2020, 07:14:26 PM
As a blue state Democrat, why are you okay with your tax dollars paying $100K pensions to politically connected people who retire @ age 49, then the following Monday start a new (political patronage)  job  making $200K +? (And possibly qualify for a second and third pension)

Well I'm glad there's no waste, fraud or abuse in any of the taker red states. Said nobody ever.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 27, 2020, 02:04:40 AM
Quote from: whitey on April 26, 2020, 07:14:26 PM

Well I'm glad there's no waste, fraud or abuse in any of the taker red states. Said nobody ever.

So I take it that's a yes, then. Good for you.

Eamonnca1

Right on, Whitey. $200,000. What a scandal.

How big do you think a state budget is?

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 27, 2020, 03:03:52 AM

These pension obligations could actually sink states such as IL , CT and NJ, but believe what you want....it's a free country
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 27, 2020, 03:03:52 AM

dec

Milltown Row2

He must tweet all that stuff all day and chuckle to himself after he hits return! The guy is a WUM and loves attention, good or bad it doesn't matter, unfortunately hes in control of the States and able to get away with whatever he wants it seems!

The power surge he needs could light up a city!

Trump reminds me of that saying below:

Absolute monarchies are those in which all power is given to or, as is more often the case, taken by, the monarch. Examples of absolute power having a corrupting influence are Roman emperors (who declared themselves gods) and Napoleon Bonaparte (who declared himself an emperor).

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" arose as part of a quotation by the expansively named and impressively hirsute John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

"The guy is a WUM and loves attention"

Which is fine if you don't have something more important to be doing.

five points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2020, 04:08:09 PM
Trump reminds me of that saying below:

Absolute monarchies are those in which all power is given to or, as is more often the case, taken by, the monarch. Examples of absolute power having a corrupting influence are Roman emperors (who declared themselves gods) and Napoleon Bonaparte (who declared himself an emperor).

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" arose as part of a quotation by the expansively named and impressively hirsute John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Anyone who talks about absolute power in the context of the US is raving. The US entire Constitution is built on checks and balances.

pbat

It wouldn't surprise me if Trumps numbers were to nosedive in the polls over the next few months he wouldn't withdraw from running again rather that face losing.