Setanta lose footballl rights?

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 02, 2009, 03:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Anyone hear if this is definatly true? I heard last week that sky bought all the football back from next season on.

Rossie11

5/6 packages gone to sky as far as I know.

Minder

Setanta will still keep either the Monday/Saturday evening EPL games, cant remember which ones.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nifan

Think setanta get the saturday evening ones.

Hound

Disaster for Setanta - and purely the fault of greedy shareholders who went against management recommendations and bid too low.

Sky not overly happy at having the extra package, as the extra outlay won't get any significant new subscribers, but they had to make a competitive bid as they were determined to keep ESPN out. Sky were quite happy with the previous status quo of Setanta having 2 packages (SKy still had more league games than they ever had).

Setanta are trying to negotiate with Sky about sub-contracting out some of their games. But this may open a door for ESPN, which Sky are determined to keep shut, so its still up in the air.

Setanta will struggle badly to raise the funds to pay for just one package.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Do they still keep the SPL though??
Tbc....

under the bar

Good.  There presentation is crap as is ther customer service.

Aerlik

J.H.C. I nearly had a fit there....football, phew you mean soccer. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: under the bar on March 02, 2009, 08:18:51 PM
Good.  There presentation is crap as is ther customer service.

Hear, hear
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ONeill

Setanta has a month to save itself from ruin

• Setanta needs to renegotiate key contracts and find investment
• Company faces collapse within next month if it fails to do so

The long-term future of troubled sports broadcaster Setanta is likely to be decided within the next month, with the company facing collapse if it fails to renegotiate key contracts and bring in new investment.

A new senior management team, installed to try to secure a future for the broadcaster, has until shortly after this month's FA Cup final – which it will broadcast live under the first year of its £150m contract with the FA – to do so.

As revealed by the Guardian in February after Setanta lost half of the Premier League live matches it holds under its current deal, precipitating a crisis of confidence among its investors, the ambitious Irish pay-TV broadcaster has been battling on three interlinked fronts to survive.

The new chairman, Sir Robin Miller, the former Emap chief executive, has been parachuted in to bring renewed focus to ongoing attempts to raise up to £100m from investors, restructure its existing contracts with rights holders to save money and agree on a revised business plan that could offer a viable way forward.

Recent attention has focused on renegotiations with rights holders including the Premier League, FA, Scottish Premier League, golf's PGA Tour and Premier Rugby, which have assumed increased urgency as various key payments have loomed. Although its last £10m fee to the FA was late, it has been keen to stress that it has not defaulted on any payments.

This week, it will meet Scottish Premier League officials to continue negotiations over a reduction in its existing contract and a new £125m deal due to start in 2010.

Some of its rights holders, including the US PGA Tour, are believed to have been open to redrawing the terms of their contracts. But the Premier League and the FA, while happy to talk with Setanta, are insisting their deals are honoured in full.

The next £10m instalment to the FA is due next month, with a payment of around £35m due to the Premier League immediately following the end of the season.

Both governing bodies are convinced they could bring in replacement rights holders that would match the amount still owed by Setanta under their existing deals. The FA deal was structured so Setanta paid a significant sum up front, and ITV would be obliged to pick up England's friendlies at £2m apiece under the terms of the contract.

But for both, the demise of Setanta would significantly reduce competition in the market next time they come to sell their rights. For the FA in particular, which replaced the BBC and Sky with Setanta and ITV under the new deal, it would raise awkward questions. The impact on the finances of other sports could be more dramatic.Setanta's business plan, already considered ambitious by some analysts, was thrown into disarray by its failure to retain the rights to 23 of the 46 Premier League matches per season that it shows under its existing £392m contract.

An attempt to reduce the amount it pays by a fifth dramatically backfired as it narrowly missed out to BSkyB, which had already secured four of the six packages on offer from the start of the 2010-11 season.

That left shareholders including Doughty Hanson, Goldman Sachs and Balderton Capital, which have collectively poured hundreds of millions of pounds into the company as it attempted to challenge Sky, with doubts over whether they could continue to support the business and reasonably expect to see a return.

The company also looked for fresh external investors but, unsurprisingly given the current economic climate, is understood to have been left largely relying on its existing shareholders.

Setanta executives continue to hope that a radically redrawn business plan, with a more modest rights investment burden and a renewed focus on its position on the Freeview platform, will persuade them to keep faith with the business and agree a new funding round.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/04/setanta-sports-rights-broadcasting
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

slow corner back

As the first and only TV company to promote gaelic games oversea I would be sad to see the demise of Setanta however times are tough at present and in company in bad debt is in trouble. I read somewhere that the disney corporation was considering buying them out to get a toe in the door of the premier league football. ( Do disney own ESPN? )

Ari

Hope this is true. I despise setanta. Absolute rubbish channel.

stephenite

Quote from: slow corner back on May 04, 2009, 11:20:21 AM
As the first and only TV company to promote gaelic games oversea I would be sad to see the demise of Setanta

Gaelic Games is a hindrance for them now though - Setanta Australia showed delayed coverage of the NFL final at 4:30am on a Thursday morning

Abble

had setanta over 2 years back.....everytime i sat down with my tea on a saturday evening to watch the 5.30 game the picture was sh1te!!!.....wasnt much better for other games as well so cancelled after about 3 months in.....terrible was the only word

Puckoon

Ill be gutted if setanta goes under. As an exile, its the only real medium for me to watch the Gaelic on, and while the friends all use my broadband account for soccer, I couldnt give a fiddlers if they lost the soccer. The gaelic and rugby are well worth the annual fee.