Recommend a Band

Started by mylestheslasher, February 28, 2009, 08:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Thought I'd start a thread where people can recommend a band/singer. I'm really looking for bands that are not on mainstream radio and that for one reason or another the masses might not have heard of. I can honestly say I don't listen to anything mainstream and I like my rock/alternative music.

There is no restriction on age, genre etc so fire up the bands with a wee bit of info..

Here are a few of my favorite bands for starters...

New Model Army. A fantastic UK band going since the 1980's. I suppose you would clasify them as folk rock, with a militant political side. A tad louder than say U2 but lyrically they say more in one song than Bono does in all his albums. Highly recommended.

Fugazi. Washingtons finest. A band that shune the limelight, refuse to sign to major labels (indeed are on their own label). One of the most creative and under-appreciated bands on the planet. Hard to clasify there sound. Maybe punk, maybe rock. I don't know!

Pearl Jam. I used to think that everyone has heard of pearl jam after they hit the big time with there first album during the grunge years but some of the younger lads at home had never heard them. After the 1st album that they consciiously commited commercial suicide by refusing to release the ballads the big record companies wanted and refusing to record videos for songs. They are still going strong releasing fantastic albums and there live show is incredible.

I'll probably think of some more

glens73

The Gaslight Anthem - American band, quite similar to early Springsteen, 2 albums thus far, most recent one very very good imo.

The Wrens - again an American band, only one album as far as I am aware from a few years back, which I personally regard as one of my favourite ever albums. I suppose you would classify them as alternative rock. I'm sure I first came across them due to a recommendation on here.

Tony Baloney

G's Man should be along presently :)

tyrone exile

The Gs Man

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 28, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
G's Man should be along presently :)

Feck off you ballix.  Im sure he's heard us anyway.  Who hasn't?

I recommend:

- The Felice Brothers
- Old Crow Medicine Show
Keep 'er lit

Eoghan Mag

Stonelakes
The Guggehheim grotto
The Popsuckers  ;)
The Kaynu tree
Pier Nineteen
Padraig Stevens
Emmet Scanlan and What the good thought
Noelie McDonnell

Maguire01

I'd recommend Fleet Foxes and Empire of the Sun, although they may be a bit indie for your tastes.

If you're into Pearl Jam myles, check out the following site - free to download bootlegs of just about all of their shows (most of them excellent quality too):
http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules/jinzora2/
Also, have you heard about the Ten re-release?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Pearl-Jam-Collectors-Box/dp/B001N18HO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235864027&sr=8-2
;D

In other good news, Faith No More are reforming and set to tour Europe in 2009.

hitzelsperger

I recommend The Airborne Toxic Event...if ya like your arcade fire, the national etc you'll love them! quality band!

PadraicHenryPearse

someone said beirut last time there was a thread like this, think if was Nifan. Love their stuff.

The Airborne Toxic Event. Just starting listening to their stuff and like it so far. Thanks hitzelsperger

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 28, 2009, 11:36:46 PM
I'd recommend Fleet Foxes and Empire of the Sun, although they may be a bit indie for your tastes.

If you're into Pearl Jam myles, check out the following site - free to download bootlegs of just about all of their shows (most of them excellent quality too):
http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules/jinzora2/
Also, have you heard about the Ten re-release?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Pearl-Jam-Collectors-Box/dp/B001N18HO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235864027&sr=8-2
;D

In other good news, Faith No More are reforming and set to tour Europe in 2009.

Faith no more are reforming. Thats brilliant. I love the Angel Dust album. Are there plans for Ireland on that tour?

under the bar

The Blow Monkeys were brilliant.  I wonder what ever happened to Dr Robert?

mhacadoir

gas can ruckus -

new band from Middletown in Armagh - really good

www.myspace.com/gascanruckus

Mayo4Sam

Fight like apes are very good

But white lies will be the big band of 2009, excellent first album
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me