Internet petition by Father

Started by Zulu, February 23, 2009, 07:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

He's doing his sons no favours by this petition muppet. 

No one has prevented the kids from playing, they can play for their local club, like every other child in the country.
I see the argument that there's no point hanging on to players who don't want to play for you but then why should they consent to the transfer? They are well within their rights to object (and I completely understand) so how are they bringing the gaa into disrepute?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thebandit

If Aghaloo relent now because of the publicity, then the floodgates will open to any attention seeker looking to leave a club.

tyrone86

Quote from: Zulu on February 23, 2009, 07:06:28 PM

It should be noted that between 2004 and 2008, Tyrone County Board acceded to 150 transfer requests between clubs, so movement by players in the county is not unusual.

Whilst the above is a true statement there have been plenty of unsanctioned transfers in the county as well, it's not like the McKillion boys are the only lads to ever have a transfer refused. There have certainly been a number of contentious 'non-transfers' where residency could not be established, some of which were resolved amicably, some non-amicably when the lads turned 18, some of which have led to exile from the GAA and some of which have saw the lads return to their 'home' clubs. 

muppet

Quote from: thebandit on February 23, 2009, 10:07:54 PM
If Aghaloo relent now because of the publicity, then the floodgates will open to any attention seeker looking to leave a club.

Is this supposed to be a sport or a sentence?

Imagine wanting to leave somewhere, the insolence.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

We can all appreciate the difficulties that some rural clubs have in fielding teams, so losing players to transfers is something we have to be careful of but the reality here is that these young players have hardly any connect to Aghaloo. What good is preventing two young lads playing football with the club of their choice doing anyone? After 5 years this smacks of extreme small mindedness and bitterness on behalf of Aghaloo. At the end of the day it is only a sport and since they aren't going to play for Aghaloo what benefit is there to anyone by prventing from playing football with someone else?

pintsofguinness

Quotebut the reality here is that these young players have hardly any connect to Aghaloo.
Apart from the fact that they played for the club?

If you want a situation where players can transfer anywhere they want then fine but it would be the death of an awful lot of clubs not to mention of the basic principles of the GAA.

tyrone86

Quote from: Zulu on February 23, 2009, 11:06:19 PM
We can all appreciate the difficulties that some rural clubs have in fielding teams, so losing players to transfers is something we have to be careful of but the reality here is that these young players have hardly any connect to Aghaloo. What good is preventing two young lads playing football with the club of their choice doing anyone? After 5 years this smacks of extreme small mindedness and bitterness on behalf of Aghaloo. At the end of the day it is only a sport and since they aren't going to play for Aghaloo what benefit is there to anyone by prventing from playing football with someone else?

Maybe so, but the question I would ask - if the father was such a committed Clarke's man, why wouldn't he have had them at Dungannon from the day they were able to kick a ball rather than having them fielding for Aghaloo?

RedandGreenSniper

I'd side towards the club (aghaloo) to be honest. You play where you live. Simple as. There have been a load of cases in Mayo of objections to lads playing for clubs they shouldn't be with because they live in another parish. Some have been petty and that could be the case here, without knowing the very intimate details of the case. But petty or not, these lads are not being denied football. They're simply being asked to play with their local club and how can you say they have no connection to Aghaloo? They live there ffs
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Zulu

Maybe he didn't fancy driving them to training 3 or 4 times a week, maybe he worked evenings and didn't have the time, maybe when kids got older they themselves wanted to play with Dungannon and he just wants to facilitate his kids. When a decision a father makes about which football team his young kids line out for can be used as justification to prevent them from playing for any other club then we've lost sight of what football is all about. I don't want to see a soccer type scenario developing in GAA but two young kids not playing football for 5 years because a club for whom they barely lined out with are preventing them from leaving is truly patethic.

QuoteThey're simply being asked to play with their local club and how can you say they have no connection to Aghaloo? They live there ffs

No their not their being prevented from playing with anyone else, I'm not from Limerick but I live there but I have no connection to the Limerick GAA teams, is that strange to you? Some people get into the whole parish for life type thing and some in the GAA don't, who are you to decide that someone who doesn't think as you do can't play football?

pintsofguinness

QuoteI don't want to see a soccer type scenario developing in GAA
That's what you're advocating here.

thebandit

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2009, 10:56:32 PM
Quote from: thebandit on February 23, 2009, 10:07:54 PM

Is this supposed to be a sport or a sentence?

Imagine wanting to leave somewhere, the insolence.

The GAA was founded on the premise of representing your parish/place.

I can almost sympathise with the lads here because I would support my father's (and whole family's) club and county, which is only a few miles away. I do wonder sometimes would I have been better off as a member of that club, purely because of the family connection. But when it comes down to it, the small club wihich I am a member of has lost good young players all too easily to neighbouring clubs, and I know how hard that is to stomach. There is a GAA facility available to them, the county board clearly supports the club, so I hope Aghaloo don't relent.

armaghniac

It is easy to say that these lads should be allowed to do what they like, but this sets a precedent and the whole GAA concept can be undermined, just as it would if it was agreed to pay them. There are plenty of empty houses in Dungannon where these people can move to if they wish to play there.

That said, you could have a time limitation though, e.g. if you haven't played for 5 years then you could be free to move.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BallyhaiseMan

He can shove his petition up his arse.
For me you play with your home club unless

a.You move away to another county to work and live and the distance is too far.
b.You move to the other end of the county and wish to play with your local club.
This situation falls under neither

i hope Aghaloo dont concede any ground.
These two are no loss to the GAA,they can stick to their soccer.

muppet

Why are we such victims?

People always talk of losing players to soccer, rugby, neighbouring clubs etc. (BTW which is the lesser evil on that list?)

You never hear anyone say how we gained a player from soccer or rugby or anything else. Why are we always so negative?
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2009, 11:36:18 PM
Why are we such victims?

People always talk of losing players to soccer, rugby, neighbouring clubs etc. (BTW which is the lesser evil on that list?)

You never hear anyone say how we gained a player from soccer or rugby or anything else. Why are we always so negative?

Id rather lose a player to soccer or rugby than to have them moving about clubs and undermining and threatening a basic principle of the gaa.