Welsh Open Snooker

Started by FermPundit, February 21, 2009, 11:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

I thought I would start a new thread to mark Joe Swail's progession through to the final of the Welsh Open tonight. He made hard work of it but he eventually defeated Neil Robertson 5-3. He plays Ali Carter in the final tomorrow. After 18 years on the circuit, this is Joe's first apperance in the final of a ranking tournament. Although he has had a couple of good runs in the World Championships over the years, this is the opportunity he has waited so long for. Let's hope he can go and win the whole thing!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Tony Baloney

Read yesterday that before Selby broke off in his match a member of the public reached over and served him with a bankruptcy notice from his ex manager. Talk about being put off your stroke!

Longshanks

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 22, 2009, 10:13:03 AM
Read yesterday that before Selby broke off in his match a member of the public reached over and served him with a bankruptcy notice from his ex manager. Talk about being put off your stroke!

Are you serious? he should easily have enough money in the bank you would think..

FermPundit

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 22, 2009, 10:13:03 AM

Apparently the guy is his former manager.

You can watch what happened here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/7902931.stm

Longshanks

Just saw it, embarrassing or what!! :o

Orior

that was a low down dirty thing to do in front of cameras etc
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tonto

Wow, feel a bit sorry for Selby; that'd really take the wind from your sails.

PS C'mon Joe!! :)

FermPundit

Latest:

Joe Swail (NI) 5-3 Ali Carter (Eng)

81-9 0-90 (89) 44-45 103-10 (60) 83-16 63-49 66-18 0-78 (54)

* resumes at 1900 GMT

Joe is in a great position but I hope the nerves don't get the better of him tonight.

Caid

Quote from: FermPundit on February 22, 2009, 05:32:06 PM
Latest:

Joe Swail (NI) 5-3 Ali Carter (Eng)

81-9 0-90 (89) 44-45 103-10 (60) 83-16 63-49 66-18 0-78 (54)

* resumes at 1900 GMT

Joe is in a great position but I hope the nerves don't get the better of him tonight.

Looks like you called it right.  He's 8-5 down now and not looking good.  Carter has just broke off in prob the final frame
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Quote from: Caid on February 22, 2009, 09:14:16 PM

9-5 hard luck Joe

Disappointing result, but in truth when Ali Carter settled down this evening the difference in class between both players was very evident. However, when he looks back on this week, Swail should be very pleased with his performance. Hopefully this renewed confidence will help him climb back into the top 16.

Tony Baloney

What's this. Did Carter really win the session 6-0?!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.