Match programmes

Started by Maguire01, February 15, 2009, 08:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

The match programme for today's game in Clones was €3. The programme for the match with Fermanagh in Enniskillen 2 weeks ago was £2 or €2. The programmes are almost identical. They're both crap. Half of them is advertisements, there's a page of ground regulations and a page outlining the new rules - both of these will be in every programme - these programmes must cost next to nothing to produce and print (and the advertisements mean they're probably paid for before they're sold at all).

Now i'll always buy a programme at a match, just for the teamsheets, but i think €3 is a bit much when there's nothing worth reading in them.

I was wondering what price they are around the rest of the country for the league and if any of them are any better.

BallyhaiseMan

gerry

Sold out today in omagh at 2pm. I normally listen to the radio during matches for all the details
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Azzurri

I think the local GAA clubs produce and sell programmes for these games??

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The championship ones come from Croke Park

clarshack

programmes in omagh were £2/€2 had 24 pages and only about 4 or 5 of these pages were for ads. they should have produced more programmes for todays match as i heard quite a few complaning that they were sold out early on.

gerry

I believe an omagh company laird design publish the tyrone one
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

T Fearon

£2 in Armagh on Saturday night and the programme was surprisingly good (which means it was a lot better than normal though hardly worth £2 at the same time). Basically gave a good account of the ongoing development work at the Athletic Grounds, an interesting feature on the late Alf Murray (a former GAA President) and details of the Armagh club championship draws as well as the teams.

Double Cross

Are people on here really that tight that they have to complain about a few pounds for a programme or £10 or £12 admission. FFS lads its great value for money compared to other sports and the money from programmes usually goes to the supporters club. Its their way of earning much needed funds from home games. I know there is a world wide recession at the minute, but admission prices for the national league isn't going to break anyone.
You could all ask Santa to get you a season ticket for next year.

clarshack

i thought the tyrone programme was a good publication and well worth £2. mickey harte said a few words, there were features on the centenary year in 1984, a hardworking trillick clubman got a bit of recognition, newcomers to the tyrone squad, scor, ladies football etc...

ccosgrave

To be fair, it's not as though we're angry about paying money for the programmes; €3 is a grand price. However, what bothers me as there's absolutely nothing in them except for the teamsheets. Even two or three articles that you could recycle every year wouldn't be too bad. I was at the match in Clones too, and it was a very bad programme, with absolutely nothing of any interest but for the centre pages.

RedandGreenSniper

Programme at Mayo v Derry in Ballina was crap. Very little in it. Cost 3euro

Programme at Galway v Dublin was good. Small bit of effort. Jim Carney from Tuam Herald (and RTE) did a piece about a guy who played for both counties. Q & A with Bryan Cullen. Not much effort required but it shows a bit of respect for those paying 3euro for it.

Consider any Sunday paper costs only 2euro and then you realise that programmes are too pricey, even if three quid won't break the bank
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

T O Hare

the Down programme is excellent value for £2
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: gerry on February 15, 2009, 09:54:38 PM
I believe an omagh company laird design publish the tyrone one

From my experience the ones you get up in Healy Park are some of the best you will get for a league game.

puc me

Red hand view great value, plenty of articles to keep you entertained at half time
all ireland champions and lovin' it

Maguire01

Quote from: Double Cross on February 16, 2009, 09:15:34 AM
Are people on here really that tight that they have to complain about a few pounds for a programme or £10 or £12 admission. FFS lads its great value for money compared to other sports and the money from programmes usually goes to the supporters club. Its their way of earning much needed funds from home games. I know there is a world wide recession at the minute, but admission prices for the national league isn't going to break anyone.
You could all ask Santa to get you a season ticket for next year.
First things first - admission prices and programmes are two entirely different things.
Personally i don't have an issue with admission prices - i find them relatively good value for money (and i have a season ticket).

But the programme on Sunday was rubbish. What makes it worse is that a similar programme two weeks earlier was €1 cheaper, and there does seem to be a big variance in quality of programmes across the country.

Of course you expect plenty of advertisements in the programmes - that's where the money is made. But it would be nice to have something to read other than the line-outs. I have no problem with the home county using the programme to generate a few quid, but it wouldn't take too much effort to improve the quality of them a bit. What about a page or two of GAA history in each, given the 125th anniversary? All they would have to do is reproduce an old newspaper report or something from an old programme.