Doíre -v- An Iarmhí, Baile na Scríne, 15.02.2009

Started by screenexile, February 09, 2009, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

I reckon 9/4 about Westmeath could be a small bit of value. Wasn't too impressed with Derry against Mayo in Ballina. Mayo were abject and Derry's win has to be factored against this. Westmeath were beating Galway (who I think will go very well this year) above in Mullingar until a defensive blunder cost them the vital goal and the final scoreline seemed to flatter Galway. Westmeath are fierce hard beat but scoring power could be the shortfall for them.
Out of curiosity how much of a 'Galatasary' type venue is 'Screen? I reckon the spread could be 3.5 or 4.5 and that'll be a bet I'd be very tempted by.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Bogball XV

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 10, 2009, 09:22:55 PM
I reckon 9/4 about Westmeath could be a small bit of value. Wasn't too impressed with Derry against Mayo in Ballina. Mayo were abject and Derry's win has to be factored against this. Westmeath were beating Galway (who I think will go very well this year) above in Mullingar until a defensive blunder cost them the vital goal and the final scoreline seemed to flatter Galway. Westmeath are fierce hard beat but scoring power could be the shortfall for them.
Out of curiosity how much of a 'Galatasary' type venue is 'Screen? I reckon the spread could be 3.5 or 4.5 and that'll be a bet I'd be very tempted by.
I would say pitch conditions will suit Westmeath tbh, Screen wouldn't be the most intimidating of venues for a league game - but then no derry venue is, due our gentlemanly fans who are only interested in seeing a good sporting contest ;) 

Oakleafer1993

Cassidy eager to experiment
10 February 2009

Derry manager Damian Cassidy will continue his experimentation policy in Sunday's National Football League game against Westmeath at Ballinascreen.

The 1993 All-Ireland winner says he is prepared to sacrifice league points in a bid to unearth new talent ahead of the championship.

"I could play safe and go out and pick as many of our established players as possible to try and squeeze a win. We could do that," he said.

"But what would we learn that we don't already know? We will have learned nothing at all.

"We saw last year what happened when we picked up a number of injuries in our full back line. We had very little cover. We also didn't have the competition up front to really pressurise the players who were established.

"This year, it's very important that our emerging players be given a chance to develop their experience. They must be given the chance to show that they can put pressure on the established players.

"We need to know that we have players who are capable of coming in and performing for us. If you look at Mickey Harte, he used 25 or 26 players in the championship last year. That tells its own story."

carribbear

Out of curiosity how much of a 'Galatasary' type venue is 'Screen?

Since this is a family website let's not talk about what they do to the chickens in that parish.

cornerback

I think it was sean boylan that descibed ballinascreen as a fortress for derry...

However, that era in derry football has passed with league games now played at various grounds around the county

Will Hunting

I wouldn't say it was too intimidating for opposing teams, although some people might describe the area as 'hell'!

Spirit of 94

It's certainly a very intimidating place for the sheep that graze on the pitch during winter.  ;)

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: cornerback on February 12, 2009, 10:00:34 AM
I think it was sean boylan that descibed ballinascreen as a fortress for derry...

However, that era in derry football has passed with league games now played at various grounds around the county

I dont recall Derry losing to many games in Celtic Park, they did loose 2 yrs ago to Westmeath in Celtic Park, but other then that we haven't lost many games up in Derry City.

Oakleafer1993

O Flatharta expects tough test from Derry
Westmeath football manager Tomas O Flatharta
11 February 2009

Tomas O Flatharta believes Westmeath will have their work cut out if they are to claim full points from their National Football League trip to Derry on Sunday.

The Lake County scored a surprise win in Celtic Park two years ago, but their manager feels it will be difficult for them to replicate that result in Ballinascreen this weekend.

"I suppose it's very, very different. It's a long trip up to Derry for us, I know that we won the last time we were up there. I think Derry are one of the teams who everyone will have to keep an eye on for this year. They had a great league campaign last year, the championship maybe not, but if they reflect on that, they will realise that they have some very good players. They've good forwards, a good midfield and some very experienced backs as well," he said.

"We're going to be up against it, but we just have to keep improving ourselves. We only started four or five weeks ago and Galway showed a few weaknesses in us the last day and we're trying to work on those."

O Flatharta, who guided the Westmeath under 21s to an emphatic victory over Offaly last weekend, confirmed that half forward Fergal Wilson will miss most, if not all, of the National League campaign as he continues to recover from knee surgery.

"Fergal is going to be out for at least another five or six weeks," said O Flatharta, who added that midfielder David Duffy is expected to be fit to start against the reigning league champions.

screenexile

Wow! Big performance from us today. We have a real system of play now where different players can fill different positions without disrupting the game.

Some great football played at times but Westmeath were poor with only their big midfielder being able to take credit for his performance.

For Derry McGoldrick was awesome at CHB. Definitely worth keeping there. Brown and Bradley good up front and Lynn good too. Defence very solid with Diver and Kielt having off days. Hopefully safe now we can go full steam ahead for cship now... Can't wait!!

Overthebar!

Good to see a good victory, never got to the game myself!
Mc Goldrick awesome at CHB? which one was this? surely he wont be there come the business end of the season?

hopes are high for the summer indeed!

peterquaife

Quote from: Overthebar! on February 15, 2009, 06:53:30 PM
Mc Goldrick awesome at CHB? which one was this? surely he wont be there come the business end of the season?

Barry

sounds like a convincing victory. very early days but you've got to feel a whole lot more positive this season with Cassidy @ the helm

go on Derry ye boy ye!!!!!

Paddy1804

Good to hear people agree that McGoldrick had a good game at CHB - a great result even though the opposition poor (although you can only beat what's put in front of you)

Maximus Marillius

Couldn't resist going to the 'screen' for the game today, the weather made in impossible not to go. What a pleasent surprise I got. Derry scored 1gl and 18 pts. Now it has to be said Westmeath were poor in the second half as Derry won alot of break ball, but very simply we had to many good footballers from them. Barry Mc goldrick was just a completely different footballer at CHB, strong composed, good tackles and reading of the game with super distribution. Didn't expect that! Fair play to cass for having the imagination to make that call. A very interesting but nonetheless vital stat from the game was the amount of scorers we had all over the pitch. it wasn't about getting the ball into Eoin, who had a good game any way (5 pts). Carton scored again, Gerard O'Kane scored 2 pts (talk about a tatic back firing on a team, bringing out their corner forward). All the starting forwards all scored from play, we could have scored 23/24 pts if we of scored the chance created. Very noticable was when changes were made it did not effect what we were trying to do. But how poor were Westmeath? Kerry up next, that will tell a tale!

SidelineKick

Quote from: peterquaife on February 15, 2009, 08:10:09 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on February 15, 2009, 06:53:30 PM

Barry

sounds like a convincing victory. very early days but you've got to feel a whole lot more positive this season with Cassidy @ the helm

go on Derry ye boy ye!!!!!

:D been a while since I heard that!

Great win yesterday.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.