Wireless Router Help

Started by North Longford, January 26, 2009, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

A very long way from being an expert on this so some help would be great.
Have wireless broadband in the house supplied by last mile and it works a treat.
Issue i my wife can only access her work email from her own laptop which is not connected to the broadband.
Her laptop is wireless enabled and the guy who installed the broadband reckoned all I would need to do was get a unit in Argos, plug it into the broadband unit connected to my computer and Bob would be my uncle!
Anyone with a bit morre specifics would be great particularly what this unit is specifically called?
Cheers

Billys Boots

Wireless router NL, I have one from Netgear (bought in PC World) and it's been grand for two years - comes with a USB receiver that you just plug into the PC that needs to go online.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerrykeegan

If you have (and would appear you have) a wireless router and your wife's laptop is wireless enabled then you have all of the components you need. You need connect to your wireless network at home. You go into network connections and find available ones. Your network should be there and you connect, you may need a network key / password.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

The Watcher Pat

The security code will be a 16 digit number on the back of the router...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

North Longford

What I have is a broadband receiver on the outside of the house which is receiving a signal from a mast on a far away hill and this has a wire running to a unit on the wall inside in my office. From this unit comes a cable that appears to be connected into the network card on the back of my PC so my PC in itself is not wireless.
What I was told was that I could get a wireless transmitter which I think would go inline on the unit at the back of the computer which would then send a signal which my wifes laptop would receive.
Is that similar to what you have Billy?

Billys Boots

What I have is a router that's plugged into my phoneline, so I guess it's similar to what you need.  What you now plug into your computer needs to plug into the router instead - then both you and Mrs NL can 'receive' the broadband signal independently, as long as you both can 'communicate' with the router.  Maybe one of the techies might be able to explain it better.  I know Boots the Elder (a mile down the road from you) has his broadband for the last month and is very happy with it, if you want to give him a shout.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

cavan4ever

This is what yo need http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757694/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm .

I dont know anything about setting them up though but i seen one in someones house.

North Longford

I think I have it now.
The item Cavan4ever(not a good week to be typing that) linked to is the type of thing I was edging towards but wasn't sure.
Thanks to all for the help

cavan4ever

Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2009, 01:05:05 PM
I think I have it now.
The item Cavan4ever(not a good week to be typing that) linked to is the type of thing I was edging towards but wasn't sure.
Thanks to all for the help

Regarading the game whereis the pitch in Logford i dont think i was ever there?

stpauls

NL,

most of the other guys have probably given all the info you need, but i will have a stab all the same.
does your broadband modem connect directly into your pc, or into a wireless router?
if it does into a wireless router, you don't need to buy anything else. you can go to the network settings on her laptop, and set up a new private network/LAN, and pick up the signal.
if it goes directly into the pc, you will need to either get a wireless router, or wireless USB hub, which you plug directly into the pc, and this will transmit the signal for you. a wireless router is probably the best way to go, as it will send out a stronger signal, and it means you can also network your printer and other peripherals you use like external hard drive etc.
if you need any more info, send me a pm.

St. P

North Longford

Thanks StPauls. Think I have it. Need to buy a wireless router.

Cava4ever, Pearse park is just off the byepass at the McDonalds roundabout. Unless your very early you'll see cars parking on the bye pass. Its only a minutes walk from the roundabout into town.
Which way are you coming from Cavan because you may come onto the byepass at a few different points

cavan4ever

stpauls

Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2009, 03:50:11 PM
Thanks StPauls. Think I have it. Need to buy a wireless router.

probably the best bet, as i said you can attach a lot of other peripherals to it, and would have a stronger signal than a Wi-Fi dongle!! (man i hate that word)

North Longford

QuoteComing in from edwardstown
You won't find that on a map but when you get to Edgeworthstown ;) next town is Longford on the Sligo road.
You'll come to a roundabout at the edge of Longford and you need to go right onto the Bypass(Second exit).
Go straight through the next roundabout and when you get to the third one Pearse park is the first exit off it to the left but as I said you might be as well to park there before the roundabout for a quick getaway. (Altho I'm afraid a lot of us may be gone before it's over!)

cavan4ever

Quote from: North Longford on January 26, 2009, 06:01:03 PM
QuoteComing in from edwardstown
You won't find that on a map but when you get to Edgeworthstown ;) next town is Longford on the Sligo road.
You'll come to a roundabout at the edge of Longford and you need to go right onto the Bypass(Second exit).
Go straight through the next roundabout and when you get to the third one Pearse park is the first exit off it to the left but as I said you might be as well to park there before the roundabout for a quick getaway. (Altho I'm afraid a lot of us may be gone before it's over!)

Excuse my spelling! 

Will it be ok to park there will the car be sitting on blocks when i get back?   :P