Superquinn to lay off 400 workers

Started by thebandit, January 21, 2009, 06:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Superquinn has confirmed it is to shed 400 jobs and close its Dundalk Store.

67 jobs will be lost in Dundalk with the remaining jobs lost across the rest of the chain from senior management down.

Superquinn has 24 stores in all.

Today's redundancy announcement is the equivalent of 12% of the staff.

In addition to the job losses, Superquinn said it is looking for remaining staff to agree to more flexible working terms and conditions to protect the remaining jobs and secure the future of the chain.

CEO Simon Burke says that most of the job losses will be amongst full-time staff.

The Mandate Trade Union, which represents the majority of Superquinn workers, said it was shocked and disappointed by the announcement.

However the union's Assistant General Secretary, Gerry Light, said it would be wrong to say they were entirely surprised given the current economic circumstances and the the impact of the cross border shopping.

He said the fact that it is Dundalk that is the store to close is not without significance.

Mr Light said that for workers in Dundalk the reality of cross-border shopping has come home to roost today.

He said he was now calling on the public and the Government to stop talking about the potential consequences of cross-border shopping and to start looking at the realities and to act accordingly.

Scary news....

Tankie

This was always going to happen with so many people shopping accross the boarder. Dubdalk should expect news from Tesco and Dunnes next.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Double Cross

Its the most expensive supermarket in Dundalk by a long way. With a lot of euros heading north this was inevitable and more shops may face closure if the government doesnt do something to stop the flow of money to the north.
Most of the staff in Superquinn heard of the closure on the news.

Gnevin

Superquinn has really lost it's way. It's too expensive ,even before the last few months.  All the shops in Dublin I've been in look like they are falling apart. Service isn't great any more , so what's the point in paying for extra for a worse shopping experience?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

I only shop in Superquinn, it aint what it used to be but its better than having to deal with what shops in Dunnes and Tesco!
Grand Slam Saturday!

armaghniac

This is the second time that Superquinn have left Dundalk. I think Dundalk was the oringinal store of the chain, in Clanbrassil Street was founded in 1960 as 'Quinns Supermarkets'. This later closed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on January 21, 2009, 06:55:22 PM
I only shop in Superquinn, it aint what it used to be but its better than having to deal with what shops in Dunnes and Tesco!
What's wrong with people who shop in Dunnes and Tesco?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

armaghniac

Tesco treat their customers with contempt.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 21, 2009, 07:24:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on January 21, 2009, 06:55:22 PM
What's wrong with people who shop in Dunnes and Tesco?

Not all people just that small percentage that seem to forget that they live in a civilized society. Not to say you dont get them in superquinn but the superquinn i go to is full of granny's over 80 years old  ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

I find all supermarkets are full of knobs.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

Cant move up here for southern shoppers, most of the parking spaces occupied by southern reg Cars. Fair play to them seeking best value for money, but i wonder is the demand they are creating producing artificially high prices here

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tankie on January 21, 2009, 06:16:35 PM
This was always going to happen with so many people shopping accross the boarder. Dubdalk should expect news from Tesco and Dunnes next.

Jesus lads ye louth lads would want to watch yer backs it looks like tankie wants to invade yer town, like they don't have big enough a pick allready  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on January 21, 2009, 07:36:38 PM
They're by far the worst I've come across, I still shop there, but, if I had a viable alternative I'd use it.
Superquinn are easily the best in the south as regards quality and variety, but they are more expensive.  Unfortunately for them Sainsburys are at least equal in quality, much, much cheaper and only a few miles away - they just can't compete.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 22, 2009, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 21, 2009, 07:36:38 PM
They're by far the worst I've come across, I still shop there, but, if I had a viable alternative I'd use it.
Superquinn are easily the best in the south as regards quality and variety, but they are more expensive.  Unfortunately for them Sainsburys are at least equal in quality, much, much cheaper and only a few miles away - they just can't compete.
They quality is gone to the dog now . The local butcher does better meat which only leaves their bakery which is nice .  There fruit and veg crap and seems to go off before you've gotten out the door of the shop.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

QuoteThey quality is gone to the dog now
Agreed. Since Feargal took the 400 odd million from that canny investor/developer Mr Quinlan it hasn't been the same