Started by Uladh, January 20, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2009, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on February 03, 2009, 10:44:52 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2009, 09:31:43 AM
Quote from: corn02 on February 02, 2009, 06:04:12 PM
Yeah, let's see if they continue there from. MORjnr will be chomping at the bit now as well and obviusly TK is to come back as well. Anyone else? Is Forker on the panel. The forward situation certainly looks a lot better. In reality be the end of the league we could have about six forwards fighting for two positions with McDonnell, Clarke and O'Rourke the only certain starters at present.
I honestly think Clarke is the only untouchable we have in the forward line at present.  It'll be interesting to see Stevie's attitude when he returns.

I think we're getting carried away with one performance against what seems to have been a terrible wexford. our forward line will be very similar to last year but hopefully one of the new faces can break in and maybe another add to our options.

I'm not getting carried away at all, you've taken what I have written and went of on a tangent of your own.  If McDonnell is serious about changing our style, I think he has to be ruthless and drop boys who would maybe consider themselves guaranteed starters and see their attitude.  There's players there to experiment with.  I heard an awful lot of stories last year about senior members of the squad trying to run the show - MCDonnell has to stamp that sh1te out if he wants to develop the team for the future. 

I know where you are coming from Benny and I don;t see anyone proclaiming Toal, Henderson et al as the finished articles. People have to be realistic, but at the same time, people have to give credit where it is due and our forwards deserve credit for Sunday.

That said, there is no way I can agree that McDonnell is not a certain starter. You can argue that Clarke is perhaps more vital now, but the difference is minimal and the two are still a class above.

O'Rourke will start and for me he is a guaranteed started all the time. You can go more offensive, but you can easily tip the balance the wrong way too.

Uladh

Seems that the lads we were all hoping to come through have put their hand up this week, which is great. obviously there are tougher tasks ahead but we can only judge them on performance.

obviously there are doubts about some of these guys from before but we are not kerry and have to get the best out of what we have.

McDonnell isn't the type of man to take to much player input benny

bennydorano

Quote from: Uladh on February 03, 2009, 01:00:28 PM

McDonnell isn't the type of man to take to much player input benny
I hope you are right. Stories that your hear do have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I did hear different stories about a few different senior players trying to 'call the shots' which cannot be a stabilising influence on any panel.

Uladh

Doubt that very much. The harps men involved wouldn't stand for that, never mind McDonnell!

corn02

Still for the match tomorrow Benny?

Armamike

Exactly. Anyone who can rack up a score like 4-3 in the one game at intercounty level deserves a bit of credit without any reservation or buts throw in for good measure.   I can't recall anyone in my lifetime, for Armagh anyway, scoring that amount in any type of game.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

ccosgrave

Looks like it's going to be a lonely league campaign on here for me if no-one wants to talk about Wexford!  :D

armaghniac

QuoteI can't recall anyone in my lifetime, for Armagh anyway, scoring that amount in any type of game 

The 1977-1978 game against Westmeath where we bagged 8 gaols is a candidate, we need Rufus to say how many Sean Devlin got that day.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: armaghniac on February 03, 2009, 07:44:26 PM
QuoteI can't recall anyone in my lifetime, for Armagh anyway, scoring that amount in any type of game 

The 1977-1978 game against Westmeath where we bagged 8 gaols is a candidate, we need Rufus to say how many Sean Devlin got that day.

I seem to recall Johny Corvan getting 2 or 3 goals against Kerry in the League late 70's early 80's in Davitt Park in one of the pre Christmas games they used to play?
Or has time dimmed my memory.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Armamike on February 03, 2009, 06:17:02 PM
Exactly. Anyone who can rack up a score like 4-3 in the one game at intercounty level deserves a bit of credit without any reservation or buts throw in for good measure.   I can't recall anyone in my lifetime, for Armagh anyway, scoring that amount in any type of game.   

You're right Mike, and if it had been S O'Neill who had scored the 4-3 there would be posters on here raving about him  -  FFS if you scored 4-3 at a training session you'd deserve a pat on the back.
"Stercus accidit"

under the bar

4-3 is some scoring with whatever size ball you choose!  When's your next home game till I get down to take a few notes on him for Mickey.....

HalfFitHalfBack

Quote from: ccosgrave on February 03, 2009, 07:38:33 PM
Looks like it's going to be a lonely league campaign on here for me if no-one wants to talk about Wexford!  :D

I was going to offer a few thoughts on Wexford's performance, but decided against it as it is difficult not to sound condescending when the margin of Armagh's victory was as big as it was.

Obviously Wexford were missing a fair number of regulars, particular in defence and of course Mattie's absence was a big blow.

Armagh hit the ground running where as Wexford look a long time to get up to the speed of the game - perhaps that was due to Armagh's extended run in the McKenna Cup?

With the wind being such a big factor, Wexford would really have needed an 8 point cushion at half time. Bannville's shot off the crossbar - which I believe did actually cross the line - might have changed the complexion of the second half. It was certainly a big let off for Armagh.

Wexford also seemed to start going for goals very early - in fairness there were 2 or 3 attempts (not including Bannville's) that could have ended up in the back of the net.

Obviously Wexford are a much better team that their performance on Sunday would suggest, which I suppose is why most Armagh people are being cautious about reading too much into the result.

I thought Colfer was one of wexford's better players - he seemed to be involved a lot and took his goal well - especially since he had taken a bad thump to the head.

Hmm, none of that is  particularly insightful I know!

Armamike

Quote from: under the bar on February 03, 2009, 09:39:08 PM
4-3 is some scoring with whatever size ball you choose!  When's your next home game till I get down to take a few notes on him for Mickey.....

Sat. night. You've probably jinxed the lad now and he'll have a stinker against Laois!
That's just, like your opinion man.