09 Car Registrations.

Started by Canalman, January 14, 2009, 09:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Anyone seen one yet. Haven't seen one yet here in Dublin.

Off The Fence

Just talking about that this morning coming into work Canalman.

Not a sight nor sound of one!  Must be hitting the Car Industry big time!

Final Whistle

every1 from the south is buying northern cars!!

northerners can get an extra 1500 by selling to the southern muppets!! :D :D :D

mc_grens

Might be forced into an 09 registration myself. My car is in the garage and the prognosis isn't good.

mannix

i heard from a garage owners friend in mayo that he will sell you a car no bother, just don't look to trade anything in, he has dozens of good used cars that he cannot sell.

Lar Naparka

Have you noticed the number of second-hand cars with "For Sale" sign on them? It's certainly a sign of the times as car dealers are flooded with trade-ins they cannot sell on.
I too have been on the look out for 09 cars and I haven't seen one yet.
Here in Dublin we would be up to the 8 or 9 thousand mark by now in other years.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Onlooker

I have seen just 2 cars with 2009 regs. here in South Tipperary over the last week.  Both, incidentally were small cars.

Shamrock Shore

I heard that new car registations this time last year was 21,000 in the State

This year for a similar period is was 9,000!

Hound

Saw one 09 so far in North Dublin. A midsize MPV yokey, VW Touran.

I don't think that prices are being reduced though for new cars. And if you're trading in a car to buy a new one then its probably worse off you are.

Of course cash buyers looking for a 2nd hand car are in pole position and should get great bargains.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mc_grens on January 14, 2009, 10:59:15 AM
Might be forced into an 09 registration myself. My car is in the garage and the prognosis isn't good.

Would you buy a new car Mc Gren ? The minute you drive it out the garage its devalued a few grand.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mc_grens

might have no choice. But I'd look to see even an 08 or 07, if they'd give me something for my own. My engine is currently being stripped as the timing belt jumped the other day and they want to see what's wrong before even pricing a repair. 5 year old mazda 3. Very unusual. My ould man drove mazdas for 15 years and never had a bother. I'm depressed.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mc_grens on January 14, 2009, 03:24:01 PM
might have no choice. But I'd look to see even an 08 or 07, if they'd give me something for my own. My engine is currently being stripped as the timing belt jumped the other day and they want to see what's wrong before even pricing a repair. 5 year old mazda 3. Very unusual. My ould man drove mazdas for 15 years and never had a bother. I'm depressed.
where have you been !

you'd better start asking about home for a car or England, theres no way you can buy anything down here.

Some lad in your position a few years ago (car needed a few grands worth of repairs) said to me before that he drove the car out to neilstown, started a fire in it , fecked off and got a bus home then reported it as stolen.
Got the insurance money that was as good as he was going to get from trade in and bought a new car.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mc_grens on January 14, 2009, 03:24:01 PM

If the timing belt is gone then you would need a new engine probably cost more than the car is worth att his stage. But there are loads of great quality second hand cars out there and also pm Lynchboy  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

armaghniac

QuoteIf the timing belt is gone then you would need a new engine probably cost more than the car is worth att his stage. But there are loads of great quality second hand cars out there and also pm Lynchboy

There used to be a ready availability of low mileage used Japanese engines, as cars were scrapped young in Japan. I had a new engine put in a Nissan at one stage. As it is a Mazda I'd check if this particular option is still around. I'd also put a new timing belt in the replacement engine.

As for second hand cars the 26 county dealers have had to slash their prices and trade in values, but an import from the North might still be a good bet. Car sales were pretty high in 2007 and early 2008 and some of these could be had worth the money.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Our Nail Loney

Would now be a good time to buy a second hand car then??

I am going to start learning to drive shortly, within the next couple of weeks

Already started saving up for a car, how much would I need for a decent second hand one, just a run around?? Nothing too special...