Previous topic - Next topic

Do you believe in cures?

Yes
44 (71%)
No
18 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 62

FermPundit

We were having a discussion in work this week about the merits of cures. Quite a number of people argued they believe in them and have received many cures over the years for a variety of things such as warts to toothaches to cures for the shingles.

The site below lists a number of Irish folk cures.

http://www.tryskelion.com/tryskelion/folklore.htm

I was wondering what would the general consensus be among the members of the board. Do you believe in cures?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

believe in some as they have being handed down for generations in the same family and then you have some crack pot who reckon they have the cure for everything
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Shamrock Shore

What about the special prayers that some folk inherit but cannot divulge to the great unwashed?

In 1974 or so when I was a gossun I had an abscesed tooth that a dentist hauled out. It bled and bled and bled after I left his evil graps. Bled all night. Didn't sleep. Mother doing her nut with worry.

Mother takes me to a neighbour at 9 am, now long since dead, and she whispers a prayer over me.

2 mins later it stopped.

So I am a believer.

Square Ball

if we had an option of, some of them, that might help.

the Potato curing warts one worked
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Of course I do. Seen them cure many things.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

I had the shingles as a child, I went to a faith healer and I didn't take any other treatment
She cleared them up within a few sessions of going to her,so yes I believe in them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

FermPundit

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 27, 2008, 08:30:01 PM
I had the shingles as a child, I went to a faith healer and I didn't take any other treatment
She cleared them up within a few sessions of going to her,so yes I believe in them

I had the shingles when I was about 15 and I got a cure which worked within a week. The first cure I think I had was for eczema when I was a young child.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: FermPundit on November 27, 2008, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 27, 2008, 08:30:01 PM

I had the shingles when I was about 15 and I got a cure which worked within a week. The first cure I think I had was for eczema when I was a young child.

Was your cure in the form of a concoction of ingredients or a faith healer?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tyrones own

Absolutely believe in Faith healers, my 3 siblings were cured of celiac as children,
poor old lad that cured them was beaten to death a few years later..broke in looking
for money as they thought he'd have a rake of it, people did come from all over to see him
alright but all he would take was a loaf of bread or 2 lb sugar or the like, God rest him.. :'(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

maggie

I had shingles this year and was given the name of a man that had the 'cure'.
I didnt even have to go and visit-just rang him and a few days later was much better.
I am a strong believer in them but some ppl just see it as b*llshit.
Each to their own but i think theres something in it.

stiffler

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 27, 2008, 08:54:10 PM
Absolutely believe in Faith healers, my 3 siblings were cured of celiac as children,
poor old lad that cured them was beaten to death a few years later..broke in looking
for money as they thought he'd have a rake of it, people did come from all over to see him
alright but all he would take was a loaf of bread or 2 lb sugar or the like, God rest him.. :'(

sad story, theres some scumbags about.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Hardy

I have no time for them after what one of them did to me. I had a boil under my oxter one time and I was advised to go to the seventh son of the seventh son of the man that ate the badger. He muttered a few words over me and I was dead in an hour.

pintsofguinness

Id shingles a few years ago too, I went to the dr. I remember he had a look at it and give me cream (i think), I dont know if it was the cream or his powers but they were gone in a few days. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 27, 2008, 09:41:37 PM
Id shingles a few years ago too, I went to the dr. I remember he had a look at it and give me cream (i think), I dont know if it was the cream or his powers but they were gone in a few days. 

They weren't shingles that was the clap you had  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.