Gallagher left out by Fermanagh - The Saga Continues...

Started by GrandMasterFlash, November 27, 2008, 04:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Just read this on tinternet: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7752206.stm Jaysus the media must love this lad.. Surely Fermanagh's lack of free taking ability should have warranted his inclusion or is MOR a man of principles and won't have him near the place based on his record. Nex thing we'll see is a discrimination case in Enniskillen courhouse...

::)

nrico2006

Don't forget he scored 3-9 in an Ulster Championship game before....!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cavanmaniac

On the basis of what he showed with Cavan - or perhaps not - then Gallagher is more or less finished as an effective intercounty footballer. He had alot of talent when he came on the scene first but his Cavan perfromances were mostly characterised by staying out of the physical exchanges and passing the buck when in good shooting situations, afraid to take on the responsibility of having a go. His free-taking was literally hit and miss as well. His confidence looked shot to bits to me.

Maguire01

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 27, 2008, 04:50:58 PM
His free-taking was literally hit and miss as well.

Yes, but in 2008, Fermanagh's free taking was 'miss and miss', so even the odd 'hit' would be a vast improvement.

FermPundit

I think alot of Fermanagh fans were clinging onto the hope that Rory might have had one last kick in him at intercounty level. In all honesty we knew back in 2005 that he was a shadow of the player he once was. I will have to admit I did argue for the merits of his inclusion in the squad based soley on his free taking ability (I'm still having nightmares of the Ulster final). Nevertheless, I trust MOR enough to feel that he has made the right call. Ciaran O'Reilly will hopefully be back fit in the spring time and Daniel Kille is a new addition to the squad as well. Both players are capable free takers so I would like to think we'll see a big improvement from last year.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

GrandMasterFlash

Ah well, there's always a bit of BBC punditry which will afford him the presence at a few games..

lynchbhoy

having seen him play at close quarters over the past few years, it seems like older age is catching up to be honest. Still game , but not what he once was as a player. Great at frees and good to have for that reason alone. Prob not up to intercounty now.
a year makes a big diff.
Did actually quite well as a pundit !

orangeman

Gallagher was a good one - but time catches up with us all.

It's no shame that he's not as fast as he once was.

Great player though.

heffo

Given that he all but publically declared his availability for Dublin and Lyons backed away at the last minute - I wouldn't want him back if I were from Fermanagh..

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on November 28, 2008, 12:51:52 PM
Given that he all but publically declared his availability for Dublin and Lyons backed away at the last minute - I wouldn't want him back if I were from Fermanagh..
as a matter of interest where did you stand regarding Vinny Murphy when he 'came back' from Kerry and was available to Dublin again (not sure if he was called up in the end or not - cant rem).

It wouldnt have bothered me Heff, if fellas are living miles away from home, while I'd prefer people to stay playing with their original county, these guys arent the first intercounty hoppers,and prob wont be the last..

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 28, 2008, 02:56:15 PM
as a matter of interest where did you stand regarding Vinny Murphy when he 'came back' from Kerry and was available to Dublin again (not sure if he was called up in the end or not - cant rem).

It wouldnt have bothered me Heff, if fellas are living miles away from home, while I'd prefer people to stay playing with their original county, these guys arent the first intercounty hoppers,and prob wont be the last..

I'd no problem with that (maybe I'm being hypocritical) - he would've accepted a Kerry call up and at the time according to Kerry sources he was one of the most consistent forwards in club Kerry football.

I just thought the way he initially made himself unavailable to Fermanagh and then went about his business in Dublin left a bad taste for me - but I could very well be hypocritical as I said..

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on November 28, 2008, 03:29:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 28, 2008, 02:56:15 PM

I'd no problem with that (maybe I'm being hypocritical) - he would've accepted a Kerry call up and at the time according to Kerry sources he was one of the most consistent forwards in club Kerry football.

I just thought the way he initially made himself unavailable to Fermanagh and then went about his business in Dublin left a bad taste for me - but I could very well be hypocritical as I said..
think there was more to it really, I am trying to rem, but yes it might have been a bit of glory hunting by Rory, though if memory serves me - it was the media touting him  , not him or dublin CB asking each other.
A new mgt change in Fermanagh didnt like Rory and that was it. Apparantly the players wanted him back the other year but mgt didnt want him.

Its so diff a sace from vinny really...just it seems rory was villified a little (yeah  I know....and Vinny never was !  :D)