Ireland Team v New Zealand

Started by GaillimhIarthair, November 11, 2008, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

The Ireland team to play New Zealand shows six changes
from the starting team that opened the GUINNESS Series
with a victory over Canada in Thomond Park last Saturday.
Girvan Dempsey comes into the side at fullback and
Tomas O'Leary is selected to start his first international at
scrumhalf, having previously come on as a replacement
against Argentina. Both Keith Earls and Eoin Reddan revert
to the replacements after starting last weekend.

The remaining four changes are all in the pack with Rory
Best and John Hayes starting at hooker and prop
respectively following their introduction as replacements
last week. The backrow combination also sees changes
with Alan Quinlan and David Wallace, who were both try
scoring replacements against Canada, starting on either
side of the scrum.

The team will be captained by Brian O'Driscoll for the 50th
time.

Ireland Team (to play New Zealand, GUINNESS Series
2008, Croke Park, Saturday November 15th 17:15)

15 – Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)

14 – Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13 – Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)

12 – Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)

11 – Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

10 – Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)

9 – Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 – Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)

2 – Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)

3 – John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)

4 – Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)

5 – Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)

6 – Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster)

7 – David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

8 – Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)

17 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)

18 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)

19 – Shane Jennings (St.Mary's College/Leinster)

20 - Eoin Reddan (Wasps)

21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

22 – Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)

MaroonAndWhite

Some surprises there....would have thought Kearney to full back with Horgan to the wing was more likely than the return of Dempsey. Horgan not on 22 at all now  :o
Not a bad move getting O'Leary in at scrum half IMO.....Reddan's delivery is too slow and is a bit Boss-esque in taking a step before passing almost all the time.

Front row changes are good and will improve things there. Ferris and Jennings will feel hard done by but hard to argue with Quinlan and Wallaces inclusion. Maybe Jenninsg would have been a more suitable match against McCaw???

Dinny Breen

Good team selection except for Quinlan who I don't rate and believe to be a liability at this level. Dempsey, not a fan either is excellent under the high ball and has good defence, his selection is definitely down to the ELVs. O'Leary I reckon is there to match up to the more physical Weepu but deserves his chance.

Only change I'd have is Ferris for Quinlan. Looking forward to this game Saturday now.
#newbridgeornowhere

gawa316

What's up with leamy and Horgan? They off form?

Would like to see Kearney playing fullback with horgan on the wing but don't no form players at the minute

ildanach

Quote from: gawa316 on November 11, 2008, 01:59:46 PM
leamys only coming back from injury

i think they have o leary in to protect o gara. he is a better tackler than reddan. nz will target to run at rog.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: ildanach on November 11, 2008, 02:02:47 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 11, 2008, 01:59:46 PM
leamys only coming back from injury

i think they have o leary in to protect o gara. he is a better tackler than reddan. nz will target to run at rog.

Some competition in that back row once Leamy is fit......with Jennings, Wallace, Heaslip, Ferris, Quinlan and maybe a few more that are unlucky to make the squad.

Id say with a good running backline like what we have there, the faster they get the ball the better. O'Leary will get it there quicker than Reddan...plus the added protection he will give ROG as you said.

billy the kid

I know what you mean about form lad and how it can be hard to judge accurately without seeing all recent games. I would however be of the opinion that Flannery is a much better option at hooker than Best, and again would like to see kearney at FB and Horgan on wing, very surprised Horgan isnt even on 22.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

passedit

Did I not read somewhere recently that Reddan and Kidney were not exactly busom buddies??
Don't Panic

Tankie

Big game, lets hope the boys can do us proud and finally do a job on NZ!
Grand Slam Saturday!

GalwayBayBoy

All-Black's not messing around. Pretty much putting out their top side.

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina, Joe Rokocoko, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Daniel Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerome Kaino, Ali Williams, Brad Thorn, Neemia Tialata, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Corey Flynn, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Kieran Read, Piri Weepu, Stephen Donald, Isaia Toeava.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Why did they play a weak side last week against the jocks and full strength this week?

Diet Coke

Basically Scotland are poor, and Ireland are strong (on paper) ::)
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Kerry Mike

Cant really argue too much with the selection, though I thought Ferris would have got in.

Delighted to see Tomas O'Leary making the cut and yes he is a better choice then Reddan or Stringer, It will be a proud moment for his father Seanie to see his son run out on Croke Park, Seanie who 30 years ago was on the winning Cork 3-in-a-row hurling team .

Rugby was always in the family as Seanie always had the gait of a prop forward about him  ;)

Thats a very strong looking All Blacks side but at least they wont all be in Thomond Park on Tuesday week to take on the Munster B team.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

thejuice

I see Vincent Hogan stirred up a nest of angry Kiwi's with a recent article. There was a fair amount of them writing in to the indo to complain. Its amazing that people would give a shit about some journo on the other side of the planet.

Funny reading though. They slagged off our cricket team, that was deeply cutting as you can imagine!  :D
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016