Ireland squad for Poland game - Andy Reid Dropped

Started by thebandit, November 10, 2008, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

It was just announced that Andy Reid has been left out of the Ireland squad.

Il Trap names Ireland squad
Monday, 10 November 2008 14:21
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni today named his 23-man squad for the friendly against Poland at Croke Park on 19 November.

The only major surprise is the omission of Sunderland midfielder Andy Reid, who has had a somewhat strained relationship with the manager.

Reid was named in the Ireland squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia, Montenegro and Cyprus earlier this year but was an unused substitute in all three games.

It was widely speculated that Reid's fallout with the manager was related to incidents off the pitch following Ireland's 2-1 win over Georgia.

Republic of Ireland squad v Poland, Wednesday, 19 November, Croke Park, 8.00pm:

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United).

Defenders: Paul McShane (Hull City), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town), Damien Delaney (QPR), Kevin Foley (Wolves).

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic), Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Damien Duff (Newcastle United)
Stephen Hunt (Reading), Liam Miller (Sunderland), Andy Keogh (Wolves).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Anthony Stokes (Sheffield United), Caleb Folan (Hull City), Shane Long (Reading).

dublinfella

Good. The fat bástard might get himself in shape so.

thebandit

He played well in patches for Sunderland at the weekend. The hoor has talent.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2008, 06:13:33 PM
Good. The fat bástard might get himself in shape so.

Ironic that you're the only person here whose first sport is soccer yet you still seem to know nothing about it.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rav67

Still no place for Delap and Lawrence, 2 men getting regular first team football in the EPL and the media never even mention them.  If they were from Dublin too there'd probably be a bit more hype I suppose.

dublinfella

Quote from: thebandit on November 10, 2008, 06:16:04 PM
He played well in patches for Sunderland at the weekend. The hoor has talent.

The same Sunderland who are in the relegation zone?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rav67 on November 10, 2008, 06:44:25 PM
Still no place for Delap and Lawrence, 2 men getting regular first team football in the EPL and the media never even mention them.  If they were from Dublin too there'd probably be a bit more hype I suppose.

Where are the two boys from?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

dublinfella

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2008, 06:19:30 PM

Ironic that you're the only person here whose first sport is soccer yet you still seem to know nothing about it.

1: No its not.

2: I'm happy to trust the judgement of Europes most decorated manager over a player than a rookie who has spent a fortune to end up in the relegation zone.

Reid needs to sort himself out before he is to be considered an international soccer player. Trap has banished far better players than him for less than being a stone overweight.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 10, 2008, 07:07:12 PM

Both were born in England

Rav67

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 10, 2008, 07:07:12 PM

Both English-born.  Delap hasn't featured in about 4 years now and Lawrence has been in the squad before but hasn't been capped, they're better than Miller and Andrews surely.

SLIGONIAN

Come on lads, Keith Andrews in Andy reid out, that isnt a football decision. Miles apart in football terms..a joke looks like traps got something personal against reid to me.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

anglocelt39

Heard Dunphy on the Radio tonight trying to beat this story up for all it's worth..........Trap owes the public an explanation, bullying of a decent young fella etc. Why he's not getting a campaign going to have his former best mate Keane explain Andy's less than regular inclusion in the Relegation zone Sunderland's first team is not clear.

What appears clear is:

1. Reid is probably worth his place in the panel;

2. Trap ain't impressed with him, for either personal or professional reasons; and

3. This is  a far cry from the Charlton era treatment of O'Leary and, to a lesser extent Brady, two genuinely class operators although part of a setup that was much stronger, in my opinion.

The Reid thing seems to reflect the fact that we ain't real strong in certain positions and a certain desperation for stories among certain media types.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

ExiledGael

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 10, 2008, 08:02:41 PM
Come on lads, Keith Andrews in Andy reid out, that isnt a football decision. Miles apart in football terms..a joke looks like traps got something personal against reid to me.

Keith Andrews is much more of a Trapattoni type player. Looks like a football decision to me. Can't believe we're now discussing this with references to examples like Liam Brady.
I'm absolutely baffled by this whole clamour over Andy Reid. Totally media driven bull. The man has had numerous chances in the Premier League with various decent clubs and not once did he even get into proper shape for the top level. You'd have to question his determination and hunger (for the game).
Trapattoni obviously prefers ball winners in midfield who can also dominate games in the air and leave the real attacking to the two men on the flanks and the front pair.
Looks simple enough, and who the hell has Dunphy or any of these clowns managed to say any different compared to Trapattoni. When you work with limited resources it's all about the plan and the system to achieve results. Reid fits neither.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 10, 2008, 09:33:11 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 10, 2008, 08:02:41 PM

Keith Andrews is much more of a Trapattoni type player. Looks like a football decision to me. Can't believe we're now discussing this with references to examples like Liam Brady.
I'm absolutely baffled by this whole clamour over Andy Reid. Totally media driven bull. The man has had numerous chances in the Premier League with various decent clubs and not once did he even get into proper shape for the top level. You'd have to question his determination and hunger (for the game).
Trapattoni obviously prefers ball winners in midfield who can also dominate games in the air and leave the real attacking to the two men on the flanks and the front pair.
Looks simple enough, and who the hell has Dunphy or any of these clowns managed to say any different compared to Trapattoni. When you work with limited resources it's all about the plan and the system to achieve results. Reid fits neither.

So youve seen Andrews alot have you?

I was at the cyprus game and that game was crying out for reid. Its a joke IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Yes I Would

Has to be personal.  Brady always praised Reids ability on the ball in his role as pundit.
Now he is part of the set up which deems Reid unfit to be part of the squad.
Somethings not right here.