Gaa Related books

Started by off the laces, November 11, 2008, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 03:34:51 PM
But Jaysus FoSB, it looks brilliant from the outset. Great idea. I'm no expert on the mother tongue but ffs to go to the bother of such a classy looking publication you'd get the correct translation . Mao! Have you checked the rest? Showed it to a teacher of Irish today and he was dumbfounded at the quantity of inaccuracies.

Actually liked many of the photos.

Definitely worth having Shane, I suppose it was more that I was disappointed with the end-product given the massive potential. Have a good mind to re-trace their footsteps and do a proper job on the photos  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 03:34:51 PM
Actually liked many of the photos.

Just dug it out again to have a look, and I was much too harsh earlier -- the vast majority of the photos are good. But there are a few howlers: PP 15 (should never have seen a publication), 75 (ditto, completely out of focus), 107 (out of focus, but could be forgiven since it's an aerial zoom shot, and helis aren't cheap to hire), 116 (very poor quality), 136 (out of focus, though another aerial shot), 137 (under exposed), 156 (woefully out of focus).

To have such a bad photo on page 15, so near the beginning of the publication, begs questions. Overall though, the photos are good, but the Gaeilge isn't.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Am I too harsh on the Gaeilge?

The different spelling of Clogher (Cloghar and Clochar), the absence of fadas, the lack of aspiration (Donaghmore I think), the lower case Geannain. I'd say if you sat down you could list 20 inaccurate placenames.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 08:57:30 PM
Am I too harsh on the Gaeilge?

No, the publication is about antiquity ('Old Tyrone'), and the least that should have been observed was the integrity of the language of old Tír Eoghain.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Probably wrong here, but is the title inaccurate here too - the land of Owen?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, fada missing on the i in Tír, they must want us to pronounce it like Pat Spillane!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Think I may be wrong about what I was intending to highlight. I remember seeing 'Land of Eoin' once but isn't that really John? Owen is probably ok.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 09:06:31 PM
Think I may be wrong about what I was intending to highlight. I remember seeing 'Land of Eoin' once but isn't that really John? Owen is probably ok.

AFAIK Shane, both Eoghan and Seán are transliterated as 'John' in the English language, and Eoghan can be that (Eoghan) or Owen, i.e. 'Eoghan' has worked its way into the English language as having a phonetic of 'Owen'.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Boy Wonder

http://www.laoistalk.com/?p=1656

A good Christmas present for Laois fans at any rate. Fair play to Pat.

Skiddybadoo

Armagh Harps - Celebrating 120 Years.

This would be an ideal Christmas present for Armagh gaels at home or abroad and those with an interest in GAA in any county.

If you are from Armagh then your club and possible family connections are likely to be mentioned, as Phil McGinn has spent more than 20 years assisduosly researching and recording the history and games of Armagh Harps GFC.  There are over 600 pages and many photos of the founding memers, players past and present and many of the Harps volunteers and supporters thoughrought the decades.

Get your copy by calling Armagh Harps Social Club on Tel: 02837 523281 or pm me.  The book costs £20 and a cheque can be sent to the club or PM me for your copy.



Happy Christmas


5 Sams

Is it my imagination or is there a severe dearth of good NEW GAA books on the market this Christmas....there is usually a half dozen or so on the market by now but the only ones I can see that are aimed at the festive market are Paddy Russell's and the Cork hurlers one....Blood Bollixes or something ;)
60,61,68,91,94
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

This one should be a good substitute, given the scarcity of good GAA books:

Mick Fitzgerald's autobiography

I'm looking forward to it anyway - I've hinted it onto the Christmas present list.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 21, 2008, 09:17:24 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2008, 09:06:31 PM
Think I may be wrong about what I was intending to highlight. I remember seeing 'Land of Eoin' once but isn't that really John? Owen is probably ok.

AFAIK Shane, both Eoghan and Seán are transliterated as 'John' in the English language, and Eoghan can be that (Eoghan) or Owen, i.e. 'Eoghan' has worked its way into the English language as having a phonetic of 'Owen'.

I would agree with Shane. Eoin would be John (Naomh Eoin in Belfast for instance). Have never seen John transliterated (excellent word by the way) as Eoghan.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Rois

Hey, for anyone interested in GAA history, a new book on George Sigerson is being launched next week, along with plaques being unveiled on houses in Strabane and Dublin.
Completely not-for-profit, the book has been written by Ken Gilloway and edited by Joe Martin and Rois's dear old dad. It's been supported by Croke Park, Tyrone County Board, the Higher Education Council and the Ulster Council to name but a few.
Launches in Strabane, Derry, Armagh and Dublin next week. More details are on the Tyrone GAA website and the Tyrone Association Dublin website
- www.tad.ie
All support, whether in person or by buying the book, very welcome!