Rewriting statistics the Down way

Started by thewobbler, August 30, 2010, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Almost sure that Keaveny of the 1974 Dublin team had a LSFC medal from 1965 I think.

ross4life

Quote from: bcarrier on August 30, 2010, 07:29:10 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 30, 2010, 06:08:51 PM
how many of these Down players have Provincial runners up medals?  2003 v Tyrone was the last final can't be many of those players left?

Dan Gordon, Benny Coulter, Ronan Murtagh

Just the 3? a very young team with much to look forward to so
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

thewobbler

John Clarke would have around that team, and Ronan Sexton too.

We aren't that young ross4life. Nobody is under 21, and half of them are 28+. There should be a few years left in all of them though.

Canalman, my point on Dublin 74 is that the whole lot of them would have won an LSFC 2 months prior. It's only since 2002 that Down's statistical anomaly could have happened.


saffron sam2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 30, 2010, 12:49:46 PM
Was chatting about Down's arrival from nowhere on the way home yesterday, and I'd think Down are the first team to play in an All Ireland final in which:

1.   No member of their panel has won a Provincial Championship medal.
2.   No member of their panel has been nominated for an All Star Award.
3.   No member of their panel has won an All Star Award.

Can anyone verify or repute the above? I'd definitely say numbers one and two are first timers, not so sure on the third.

Probably has to go down as the most meteoric rise in the history of the game.

Surely 2 implies 3.

It's good to be back at school.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

thewobbler

It does aye SS2, but whereas I was very confident of nominations I'm sure they couldn't be the first AI finalists who take pitch without an All Star in their ranks, could they?

Plain of the Herbs

I was going to argue with you, but I said I'd check it first and, yes, the programme for the 1977 Leinster Final does indeed credit Keaveney with a Leinster medal in 1965.  He's the only one of the panel who holds 4 Leinster medals at that time, in that Paddy Cullen, Gay O'Driscoll, Sean Doherty & Tony Hanahoe (who are a similar age) do not.
Quote from: Canalman on August 30, 2010, 07:33:28 PM
Almost sure that Keaveny of the 1974 Dublin team had a LSFC medal from 1965 I think.

trileacman

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 30, 2010, 06:51:44 PM
Quote from: red hander on August 30, 2010, 06:18:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 30, 2010, 12:49:46 PM
Was chatting about Down's arrival from nowhere on the way home yesterday, and I'd think Down are the first team to play in an All Ireland final in which:

1.   No member of their panel has won a Provincial Championship medal.
2.   No member of their panel has been nominated for an All Star Award.
3.   No member of their panel has won an All Star Award.

Can anyone verify or repute the above? I'd definitely say numbers one and two are first timers, not so sure on the third.

Probably has to go down as the most meteoric rise in the history of the game.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but meteors don't rise, they fall

Do pedantic hoors rise or fall??

Depends. Cliff or Cannon.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014