American Football

Started by John79, November 18, 2011, 11:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John79

I heard today that the All Ireland Finals (both Hurling and Football) are going to be put back a week because of an American Football College game being played at the Aviva. Is this true?

DrinkingHarp

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092110aac.html

The GAA can confirm that the later scheduling of next year's All-Ireland football and hurling finals and those for 2013 is down to the fact that the month of September has five Sundays as opposed to four.

The Association's Official Guide states that the football final will be played on the penultimate Sunday of September and the hurling final two weeks earlier.

Next year's finals will be played on September 9 and 23 respectively. No other factors other than rule were considered in the scheduling of these fixtures.

The fixtures' masterplan for 2012 will be released in the coming days.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 19, 2011, 05:03:40 AM
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092110aac.html

The GAA can confirm that the later scheduling of next year's All-Ireland football and hurling finals and those for 2013 is down to the fact that the month of September has five Sundays as opposed to four.

The Association's Official Guide states that the football final will be played on the penultimate Sunday of September and the hurling final two weeks earlier.

Next year's finals will be played on September 9 and 23 respectively. No other factors other than rule were considered in the scheduling of these fixtures.

The fixtures' masterplan for 2012 will be released in the coming days.

Yeah. Another silly rumour that got started that would just end up being an excuse to bash the GAA for something or the other. I don't think any sporting would effect the timing of the All-Ireland at this point, it's entrenched and a marketing tool for the GAA.

They'd probably want to get the regulations altered to give themselves more lee-way in the future, though.

emmetryan

I'm about as big a Notre Dame fan as they come on this island and even I thought the idea was nonsense when I read it. There's no question the All Irelands moved for the GAA's own reasons.

On the upside for Dublin hoteliers/B&B it does give them 3 big weekends instead of 2 in September. There'll be a big travelling contingent for Notre Dame vs Navy, they brought a few thousand to the city in 1996 and I'd expect the same again in September.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

thejuice

aye, I'll more than likely be going to the Notre Dame game and who knows I could be going to the All-Ireland's too please God.  So I'm glad its happening as I want to watch all 3 games. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on November 19, 2011, 12:09:08 PM
aye, I'll more than likely be going to the Notre Dame game and who knows I could be going to the All-Ireland's too please God.  So I'm glad its happening as I want to watch all 3 games.

Well, since college football is a Saturday sport it'd have been better for punters for them to overlap weekends.

The Trap

Why dont they bring the finals forward instead of putting them back?? Is that not what everybody wants......give more time for clubs to fit their games in........oh well as long as the county teams are ok and they dont lose out on any money!!!!

BennyHarp

I hope with all this confusion that nobody books their hotel room for the wrong weekend for the All Ireland!
That was never a square ball!!

mannix

Play for 5 seconds and the take a rest for 2 minutes. It's a game for lads that cannot play real sports, designed solely as mike francesca would say " for tv and advertising".  Worse than the compromise rules claptrap.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mannix on November 21, 2011, 02:49:55 AM
Play for 5 seconds and the take a rest for 2 minutes. It's a game for lads that cannot play real sports, designed solely as mike francesca would say " for tv and advertising".  Worse than the compromise rules claptrap.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

mortified

you obviously dont watch the game, I for one will be there should be great
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

blanketattack

September 2007 had 5 Sundays and the All-Irelands weren't changed from the 1s and 3rd Sundays then.

OverThePostsAWide

Were the finals not moved before? 2006? Ryder Cup or something?

mannix

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2011, 11:40:20 AM

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
Sorry, I try hard to be a fan but jays us it just bores me to tears, stop, start,stop start,hug and jump around,analyse it to death and 20 camera views to make it exciting. 
If they could speed it up a bit it would help.

Eamonnca1

It has its own appeal. I'm damned if I know how anybody watches it live at the game though, it's impossible to tell exactly what happened until you've watched at least one replay. I used to find it bewildering until someone actually explained the rules to me.  It has the same appeal as watching a game of chess unfold, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way because I'm a chess fan myself.