Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2022, 01:17:27 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2022, 12:10:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2022, 11:52:12 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2022, 10:44:47 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2022, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2022, 10:29:50 AM
I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of it but the irony of a McGee complaining about physical aggression!

Fair enough, but it was the headlocks, specifically, from what I read.

If there isn't a specific rule that states that a headlock is a red card then the GAA should introduce it into the rulebook, I have no problem with that. It is arguably more dangerous than a lot of current red card offences.

After that, if anybody choked an opponent in a headlock, then if the existing rules allow it issue them with a suspension. As long as the rules are applied evenly to both sides rather than this implication that it is a pre conceived tactic employed specifically by Armagh. Referencing an incident from 2014 bears little relevance to a League match 8 years later.

Dangerous play is a red card as is contributing to a melee and also a red card is striking, either with fist, arm, elbow, knee, foot or head. It was all uncalled for and subs should be in the stand, away ta feck from the sidlines were they are getting worked up along with the management

By not making it a specific offence it is then left down to the interpretation of the referee as to what is deemed dangerous. Is a headlock deemed dangerous? We have seen before how different instances of the same offence are dealt with differently by different referees.

I think there is a degree of dangerous play in those headlocks and I certainly would not like to be on the end of them, Ive ref'd long enough and this for me isn't something I've seen at club level as much, pulling lads apart or lads entering from outside is common but I hope we don't see it this season, once its properly up and running.

It will never have the uniform approach from even the best referees in the country, who you think is the best referee others will have a far less opinion on, his approach will suit your style of how it should be ref'd and others will view it differently, Gaelic games are not ref'd like other sports to be fair, soccer seems to be an easier sport to ref but there are still huge debates during and after the games and these ref's at the top table are professional ref's.

the melee is more in the public eye now due to social media smart phones and better coverage from the national TV stations

I was listening to Aaron Kernan on Sideline Eye podcast ( a much more measured approach than Eamon McGee elsewhere ) and he suggested that Croke Park could be influenced on suspensions by media and social media comment. Does anyone else think this is likely?
As an Armagh man I obviously don't want anyone suspended but if they are genuinely guilty and everyone else is treated equally then they only have themselves to blame. I would hate to think that biased social media comment could influence who gets a ban - especially if anyone has the misfortune to read the Hoganstand Forum !

J70

They should punish the teams when these things happen.

If it happens in the league, dock points. Championship, forfeit the next game or something. Extreme perhaps, but it would put a stop to all this nonsense.

Its ridiculous trying to weed out the offenders in this all-in shite, especially when the film footage isn't great as was the case with Sunday's games. Let the referee sort out the original pair. Once the third man comes into it, punish the team. If both teams jump in, punish both.

Solo_run

Quote from: Throw ball on March 29, 2022, 02:20:41 PM
I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of it but the irony of a McGee complaining about physical aggression!

If there isn't a specific rule that states that a headlock is a red card then the GAA should introduce it into the rulebook, I have no problem with that. It is arguably more dangerous than a lot of current red card offences.

After that, if anybody choked an opponent in a headlock, then if the existing rules allow it issue them with a suspension. As long as the rules are applied evenly to both sides rather than this implication that it is a pre conceived tactic employed specifically by Armagh. Referencing an incident from 2014 bears little relevance to a League match 8 years later.

Dangerous play is a red card as is contributing to a melee and also a red card is striking, either with fist, arm, elbow, knee, foot or head. It was all uncalled for and subs should be in the stand, away ta feck from the sidlines were they are getting worked up along with the management

By not making it a specific offence it is then left down to the interpretation of the referee as to what is deemed dangerous. Is a headlock deemed dangerous? We have seen before how different instances of the same offence are dealt with differently by different referees.

I think there is a degree of dangerous play in those headlocks and I certainly would not like to be on the end of them, Ive ref'd long enough and this for me isn't something I've seen at club level as much, pulling lads apart or lads entering from outside is common but I hope we don't see it this season, once its properly up and running.

It will never have the uniform approach from even the best referees in the country, who you think is the best referee others will have a far less opinion on, his approach will suit your style of how it should be ref'd and others will view it differently, Gaelic games are not ref'd like other sports to be fair, soccer seems to be an easier sport to ref but there are still huge debates during and after the games and these ref's at the top table are professional ref's.

the melee is more in the public eye now due to social media smart phones and better coverage from the national TV stations

I was listening to Aaron Kernan on Sideline Eye podcast ( a much more measured approach than Eamon McGee elsewhere ) and he suggested that Croke Park could be influenced on suspensions by media and social media comment. Does anyone else think this is likely?
As an Armagh man I obviously don't want anyone suspended but if they are genuinely guilty and everyone else is treated equally then they only have themselves to blame. I would hate to think that biased social media comment could influence who gets a ban - especially if anyone has the misfortune to read the Hoganstand Forum !

Players, managers and officials will all look at social media. However, they are not going to be able to go on anything other than the officials report or on video evidence. Tyrone fans are right in their call for consistency in handing out punishments but there have been some obvious differences between what happened in the Tyrone match and the Donegal match with the former punishments were dished out by the referee and were upheld. In the Donegal game we are looking at retrospective suspensions that I think are going to come for both teams.

From an Armagh perspective it does not look good. There will be at least three players suspended for Armagh and there are three for Donegal from what I can make out on the very limited video evidence. There was an instance before the camera panned in to the substitutes where the linesman on the near side of the pitch ran a good 30 meters to intervene where three Donegal players and one of their officials were gathered around Grugan.

If teams get involved with melees there should be team punishments rather than go through this whole farce. It isn't clear what started it - people have their ideas about what initiated it, but there is bias in it. You would get a better analysis on the Sunday game than what you would on Hoganstand. I genuinely would not be surprised if the admins of that website were making multiples accounts and making it look like they have more traffic than they actually have .

Wildweasel74

In relation to this all in, would this not be managers telling them all in back each other up. And make it harder for men to get censored. Surely if manager instructed no one in, this wouldn't occur. Pat Gilroy took over Dublin and cut out  their in your face attitude to the opposition every time they scored. Overnight.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2022, 02:32:27 PM

If it happens in the league, dock points. Championship, forfeit the next game or something. Extreme perhaps, but it would put a stop to all this nonsense.

Its ridiculous trying to weed out the offenders in this all-in shite, especially when the film footage isn't great as was the case with Sunday's games. Let the referee sort out the original pair. Once the third man comes into it, punish the team. If both teams jump in, punish both.

The fair thing would be to deduct two league points from each team and then relegate Donegal instead of Kildare on Score difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2022, 02:41:27 PM

The fair thing would be to deduct two league points from each team and then relegate Donegal instead of Kildare on Score difference.

And what about the other two points for you boys from the Tyrone game? ;D

Solo_run

Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2022, 02:46:51 PM

Don't forget Dublin and Kerry

armaghniac

Quote from: Solo_run on March 29, 2022, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2022, 02:46:51 PM

Don't forget Dublin and Kerry

Sure you couldn't be having that type of retribution unless an Ulster team was involved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 29, 2022, 02:37:43 PM
In relation to this all in, would this not be managers telling them all in back each other up. And make it harder for men to get censored. Surely if manager instructed no one in, this wouldn't occur. Pat Gilroy took over Dublin and cut out  their in your face attitude to the opposition every time they scored. Overnight.

No doubt.

Not new either.

Colm Coyle and Liam McHale. Who suffered the bigger handicap when the ref singled out two men in the mass brawl of '96?

tyrone08

I would agree with most of this however tyrone have suffered trial by media many times before. There were a right few armagh supporters pushing for tyrone suspensions after the game.

Armagh should have learnt that they got off very lightly at that game and should have the wit to keep their noses clean.

Solo_run

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 29, 2022, 03:14:17 PM

I would agree with most of this however tyrone have suffered trial by media many times before. There were a right few armagh supporters pushing for tyrone suspensions after the game.

Armagh should have learnt that they got off very lightly at that game and should have the wit to keep their noses clean.

Everyone wants consistency and yes Tyrone have unfairly suffered at the hands of the media but they are not the only team to have experienced it. Armagh fans calling for Tyrone players to be suspended is completely different as Tyrone fans were making accusations that Armagh started it when this wasn't the case. Tyrone fans are now trying to lay the boot into Armagh for what happened and whilst Armagh are guilty of incidents there is no evidence to show they started it.

I could quite easily make an argument for both Armagh and Donegal wanting a reason to start it - FIVE Donegal players approached O'Neill in that melee and one of them forced their head into his face and O'Neill certainly was no angel btw neither was Hall. Something did happen with Grugan and four Donegal lads because you can see the Linesman approaching them. Likewise Armagh could be blamed for it. Wouldn't it be great to have Murphy and or McBreaty suspended?  The obvious point here is that Armagh had a history of being in a melee that is fresh in the minds of the GAA and rightly or wrongly Armagh are bearing the brunt of the blame for this even though there is nothing to suggest they started it - there is evidence to suggest suspensions are coming though for both teams in the aftermath.

Stupid judgements were made by players from both sides in the aftermath of that game and the crappy video evidence will not do the situation any justice. It is potentially a pointless exercise (in terms of getting it complete right) and  they perhaps should look at severe penalties for counties involved in them rather than having to deal with the mess.

Armagh Girl

its pretty rich Eamonn McGee making comment about any type of rough play, given the antics of both him and his brother over the years! How long did Neil McGee last on the pitch after being yellow carded ??   They would both know all about it.  Having viewed the pictures that he has put onto social media, its just a pity he didn't go and put the pictures up of what actually started it ie Messrs Murphy, McFaddan -Ferry, McBrearty along with most of the Donegal Back room Team and a few what looked like Stewards ? (yellow bibs) throwing their weight around. Then to start talking about the Donegal Doctor's warnings( the Doctor who spends most time on the pitch will all these invisible head injuries Donegal seem to have, when the game needs slowed down - Yet no-one ever goes off)!! Actually pretty sad from Eamonn McGee that he has to go back to a time when Karl Lacey was playing to write a story.. Armagh were no angels, but the blatant picking and choosing by some in the southern media is a joke.  Whatever punishment that is handed out needs to be taken on the chin and move on, So Long as the punishment is fair and not just directed at Armagh.  As an Armagh Fan i certainly did not shout for any Tyrone Players to be suspended in that game but Peter Harte's actions (who i like as a player) were much more rough and dangerous that anything that happened on Sunday ! 

Solo_run

Quote from: Armagh Girl on March 29, 2022, 04:01:06 PM
its pretty rich Eamonn McGee making comment about any type of rough play, given the antics of both him and his brother over the years! How long did Neil McGee last on the pitch after being yellow carded ??   They would both know all about it.  Having viewed the pictures that he has put onto social media, its just a pity he didn't go and put the pictures up of what actually started it ie Messrs Murphy, McFaddan -Ferry, McBrearty along with most of the Donegal Back room Team and a few what looked like Stewards ? (yellow bibs) throwing their weight around. Then to start talking about the Donegal Doctor's warnings( the Doctor who spends most time on the pitch will all these invisible head injuries Donegal seem to have, when the game needs slowed down - Yet no-one ever goes off)!! Actually pretty sad from Eamonn McGee that he has to go back to a time when Karl Lacey was playing to write a story.. Armagh were no angels, but the blatant picking and choosing by some in the southern media is a joke.  Whatever punishment that is handed out needs to be taken on the chin and move on, So Long as the punishment is fair and not just directed at Armagh.  As an Armagh Fan i certainly did not shout for any Tyrone Players to be suspended in that game but Peter Harte's actions (who i like as a player) were much more rough and dangerous that anything that happened on Sunday !

It is difficult to not be bias, even when you think you aren't being biased there is always going to be a slight element of it. Unless I see it with my own two eyes, I cannot say who started it. We can speculate who started it but that is not evidence in itself. I don't like it when people form an opinion without any evidence such as "Oh Armagh must have started it, they were involved with something similar against Tyrone".  They make themselves look like clowns when they do shite like that, because it is downright lazy. I am being careful not to blame anyone because its difficult to do so amongst all that therefore you are left with the aftermath - and it doesn't look good for either team whilst the initial instigators get to have an easy ride. However, in relation to what McGee is saying - he is 100% biased so why would anyone within the GAA listen to that?

I agree with everyone else with regards to there having to be punishments for this and that it is unsightly etc. However, we make too much of a big deal out of it (myself included).  It is a competitive contact sport where teams work hard and want to win and that sometimes spills over. There is a lot that goes on on the field the cameras cannot capture. 

The McGee move seems rather suspicious

LCohen

tyrone have suffered trial by media many times before.

Ok list the instances then. Note media coverage of guilt is not trial of media. Presumably you will reply with a list of innocent players who were portrayed as guilty in the media and then punished? Let's hear it.

Armagh should have learnt that they got off very lightly at that game

Name the guilty players then?

I am an armagh supporter and firmly believe that guilty players should be punished irrespective of where they are from. I am deeply suspicious that some want players punished because of where they are from

tyrone08

Quote from: LCohen on March 29, 2022, 04:40:46 PM
tyrone have suffered trial by media many times before.

Ok list the instances then. Note media coverage of guilt is not trial of media. Presumably you will reply with a list of innocent players who were portrayed as guilty in the media and then punished? Let's hear it.

Armagh should have learnt that they got off very lightly at that game

Name the guilty players then?

I am an armagh supporter and firmly believe that guilty players should be punished irrespective of where they are from. I am deeply suspicious that some want players punished because of where they are from

OK let's do this. First of all trial by media doesn't mean someone is innocent. It means the media have blown it out of proportion before the pushment has been given.

Saying as you are so interested but too lazy to find the Armagh players at fault I have done it for you

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1508193364159733767?t=po_dYBWAiqBrjpYoUbgUjA&s=19

21 seconds in. Armagh number 15 punched dongel number 10 in side on head.

32 seconds armagh number 25 grabbed Donegal number 10 from behind and pulled him to the ground. Then an armagh sub in black top comes in and takes a swing when the Donegal player gets up.

40 seconds in Armagh number 17 drags a Donegal player down from behind by the neck.

Is that enough? Also any punch to the head is significantly more dangerous than a headlock. Count lads have died from one punch to the head.