NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

The GAA need to act to stop this manager constantly badgering Linesmen syndrome.
Having seen Gallagher get away with it last week and now Kutejack and no doubt others...it doesn't tally with that Respect logo stuff.
A yellow card the first time, then banishment second time with a suspension for any repeats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Were Donegal missing many yesterday? Assume Bonner under huge pressure this year to deliver.

I was frustrated watching them yesterday, the reluctance to kick the ball when the pass was on drove me crazy.

J70

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 21, 2022, 10:38:52 AM
Were Donegal missing many yesterday? Assume Bonner under huge pressure this year to deliver.

I was frustrated watching them yesterday, the reluctance to kick the ball when the pass was on drove me crazy.

I honestly don't how Bonner survived after the past couple of seasons. I guess the county board felt he was unlucky against Tyrone last year and there probably weren't many queuing up to succeed him anyway.

We were missing a few likely starters yesterday: Ciaran Thompson, Michael Langan, Caolan McGonigle, Niall O'Donnell and, possibly, Oisin Gallen. All midfield up, although probably only Langan who's really made his mark at the top level. Its not like waiting for Murphy or McBrearty to come back, but it has meant we've been relying on some very inexperienced players in recent games. But we're obviously not the only team in that boat.

Jamie Brennan didn't look fit at all to me (did he touch the ball?), and we need him up and running like he was a few years ago.

And yeah, they were frustrating yesterday. A couple of times they did ping the ball in, they got a few scores from it, including Murphy's goal. However, they were a damn sight better than last week's horror show against Monaghan, when it was just slow over and back across the pitch with zero penetration.

Bonner has nothing to lose this season. He might as well go for it and tell Murphy to stay up the field for long stretches to give the team an option. Especially with Hugh McFadden now being eased back in, they don't need him wasted tracking back. Split his time between the square and the 40, where he can do some damage either as a target man or playmaker, along with his scoring ability.

APM

Entertaining game yesterday in the Athletic Grounds - intensity was high even if quality was poor at time.

It had a bit of everything:

The Good:

Clifford a class act and great to watch.  Also the speed Kerry moved the ball into the full forward line was fantastic.  However, it was most apparent when Armagh were pressing up the Kerry kickout and it did give them scope to move it long and fast into space. 

Campbell done well when he came on - scoring a great point and breaking tackles.  Also, Armagh's intensity at the end, turning over Kerry a number of times and winning the midfield battle, was very impressive.  Other teams will take note.

Foley done a great marking job on O'Neill, but in fairness, anytime he had possession, he was double marked.  Clifford on the other hand was playing in acres of space (on a number of occasions) at the other end of the pitch.  It wasn't just the second half - I was kind of surprised that Armagh ended the first half without conceding a goal, even though there were no clear cut chances - if you know what I mean. 

The bad
A lot of bad wides from both teams and some of them uncharacteristic.  Grugan hit three bad ones for Armagh.  Kerry hit a succession in the first half and could have been out of sight.  However, I would prefer to seem teams kicking a ball wide, than taking an extra pass and giving away a turnover, which in Armagh's case, meant that they were exposed up front.  Burns played well and scored an excellent point, but starting to find myself getting annoyed with him always taking an extra bounce or a solo when it needs moved quickly - or not taking the shot, when the shot is on. 

A good goal chance which should have been burried by Duffy. Rafferty's decision making for the Kerry goal was all over the place, but chances are it would have been scored anyway. Felt for him, but he didn't let it ruin him.  He performed well after that, particularly under the high ball. 

The Ugly
Kerry quite cynical and both Armagh and the officials seemed to give them too much respect.  Fouled Armagh a lot between the two 50s and Kerry guilty of a lot of pulling and dragging off the ball.  I think Armagh will learn a lot from the game - at least they should.  Armagh were rattled by their tactics and their intensity in the first 10 minutes - they were too nice. Forker was remonstrating with the ref - he actually followed him across the pitch, arms outstretched, while Kerry still had the ball in play inside the Armagh half.  It just proved that Armagh could be got at. 

Referee was bad for both teams, but it definitely seemed that Armagh found it harder to get frees.  He seemed to indicate that he blew Grugan for diving when Armagh needed a goal at the end - seemed crazy to me.

Finally, was it just me or did Armagh seem to be slipping a lot yesterday on the surface.  Rafferty for the goal was the obvious one, but on at least 5 or 6 occasions players seemed to slip - costing them possession.

Gael85

Quote from: naka on March 21, 2022, 08:36:11 AM
Thoughts on the armagh Kerry game
Kerry were comfortable all day and kept armagh at a safe distance .
Clifford is a class act and undoubted the best talent in Gaelic football at present
Kerry have definitely become more cynical and calculated in their fouling which is probably a good thing if the want to win Sam but let's call them out like Tyrone  and Dublin are
Ref was poor for both teams and definitely seemed overawed by the occasion
Armagh are well behind Kerry
Game itself was flat simply because Kerry were that composed and comfortable on possession.

With kerry pundits on every game or highlights show nothing will be said about their cynical fouling.  All be mentioned is laying down a marker nonsense.  When kerry are winning spillane has a load in his trousers saying how great they are with their kick passing and front foot football.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Gael85 on March 21, 2022, 12:36:09 PM
Quote from: naka on March 21, 2022, 08:36:11 AM
Thoughts on the armagh Kerry game
Kerry were comfortable all day and kept armagh at a safe distance .
Clifford is a class act and undoubted the best talent in Gaelic football at present
Kerry have definitely become more cynical and calculated in their fouling which is probably a good thing if the want to win Sam but let's call them out like Tyrone  and Dublin are
Ref was poor for both teams and definitely seemed overawed by the occasion
Armagh are well behind Kerry
Game itself was flat simply because Kerry were that composed and comfortable on possession.

With kerry pundits on every game or highlights show nothing will be said about their cynical fouling.  All be mentioned is laying down a marker nonsense.  When kerry are winning spillane has a load in his trousers saying how great they are with their kick passing and front foot football.

It was ever thus, Kerry wrote the book on cynicism, years where they haven't been ruthless are very much the exception not the norm.

balladmaker

Quote from: Throw ball on March 20, 2022, 10:53:29 PM
Is there any point watching RTE GAA coverage.

I watched highlights of Armagh v Kerry. It sounded as if Kerry were playing themselves. All that was said about Armagh was that they were disappointing.

A number of weeks ago social media footage was shown to highlight the melee between Armagh and Tyrone. A few weeks later when social media coverage proved a penalty was over the line it wasn't shown as it was 'inconclusive '.

Tyrone won the All Ireland last year. Armagh are improving. The TV pundits must be getting worried.

League Sunday is ridiculous at this stage ... jumping from a lower division to another lower division, eventually making it to division 1 .. and then to be PC, a couple of ladies games are used to break up the division 1 review.  As for the analysts, best to switch off at that stage.  PC gone mad, stick to the script, never call out a ref, eulogise Kerry or Dublin at every opportunity ... and where possible, don't focus too much on any team from the northern part of the country.

yellowcard

The final round of fixtures will be interesting and the relegation battle could well go down to the wire. One of either Dublin or Monaghan will get relegated with the other coming from Kildare, Tyrone or Donegal. Of these Tyrone have the most difficult fixture and I don't see them getting anything down in Killarney. Donegal will beat Armagh as I don't see geezer playing a strong lineup since this is a dress rehearsal for the Ulster championship match in a few weeks time.

I think Dublin will beat Monaghan which leaves Monaghan relegated and I think I am right in saying that if both Tyrone and Kildare get beaten then Kildare will be relegated on head to head results. The Mayo v Kildare match is probably the most difficult to predict however since I don't think Mayo will be overly bothered about getting to a League final.

Feckitt

On RTE last night, they talked about Kerry for 5 or 6 minutes without ever even mentioning Armagh, then in the final 20 seconds, Colm Boyle said Armagh were flat, Joanne agreed that they were a bit flat, then Colm Boyle repeated that Armagh looked flat.  That was it!!

Then for The All Ireland Champions v Mayo, Joanne said, "A good win there for Tyrone, Colm lets talk about Mayo"

Average Score

Quote from: Feckitt on March 21, 2022, 01:37:21 PM
On RTE last night, they talked about Kerry for 5 or 6 minutes without ever even mentioning Armagh, then in the final 20 seconds, Colm Boyle said Armagh were flat, Joanne agreed that they were a bit flat, then Colm Boyle repeated that Armagh looked flat.  That was it!!

Then for The All Ireland Champions v Mayo, Joanne said, "A good win there for Tyrone, Colm lets talk about Mayo"

She is completely useless but you need a women to talk about men's sport otherwise there would be outrage.  ::)

balladmaker

Quote from: yellowcard on March 21, 2022, 01:32:10 PM
The final round of fixtures will be interesting and the relegation battle could well go down to the wire. One of either Dublin or Monaghan will get relegated with the other coming from Kildare, Tyrone or Donegal. Of these Tyrone have the most difficult fixture and I don't see them getting anything down in Killarney. Donegal will beat Armagh as I don't see geezer playing a strong lineup since this is a dress rehearsal for the Ulster championship match in a few weeks time.

I think Dublin will beat Monaghan which leaves Monaghan relegated and I think I am right in saying that if both Tyrone and Kildare get beaten then Kildare will be relegated on head to head results. The Mayo v Kildare match is probably the most difficult to predict however since I don't think Mayo will be overly bothered about getting to a League final.

The weird scenario whereby both Armagh and Mayo are beaten, means there are more than 2 teams on 7 points.  In this situation, scoring difference takes precedence over head to head ... Armagh currently have the best score difference of the runners in that equation, and could reach a league final despite losing their last two games, unless Kildare do a similar job on Mayo as they did on Monaghan ... strange indeed.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0321/1287492-nfl-permutations-all-to-play-for-across-four-divisions/

APM

It was a bit of a joke alright. All you could do was laugh at it.  Kerry won by three points and they had to work for it.  They did keep Armagh at arms length for most of the game, but they were under serious pressure with their kickouts in the last 15-20 mins and there wasn't a word about it - it was basically a Kerry love in. If they were only going to analyse Kerry - at least analyse the good and the bad. 

Joanne seems to be challenging the pundits a bit, particularly O'Rourke and Spillane, particularly if she thinks they are being inconsistent.  It definitely needs done and she's right to do it.  I'm not sure I like the way she goes about it - bit too pleased with herself or something - would be surprised if it isn't pissing the two old codgers off.

full moon

Quote from: APM on March 21, 2022, 02:03:59 PM

It was a bit of a joke alright. All you could do was laugh at it.  Kerry won by three points and they had to work for it.  They did keep Armagh at arms length for most of the game, but they were under serious pressure with their kickouts in the last 15-20 mins and there wasn't a word about it - it was basically a Kerry love in. If they were only going to analyse Kerry - at least analyse the good and the bad. 

Joanne seems to be challenging the pundits a bit, particularly O'Rourke and Spillane, particularly if she thinks they are being inconsistent.  It definitely needs done and she's right to do it.  I'm not sure I like the way she goes about it - bit too pleased with herself or something - would be surprised if it isn't pissing the two old codgers off.

League Sunday is pointless, there just isn't enough time or coverage. And the stuff they do is poor. To top it off they have added camoige and ladies football into it. While it's mostly under the GAA banner, that's 4 different sports loads of leagues nevermind teams involved.

There really isn't the time to show Hurling and Football in the same show and do it justice. I mean even when they have weekends it's all football it's still constrained by time and not worth sticking on.

GAA need to get their finger out and actual put out highlights or even full games on YouTube now. The games are recorded, what use keeping them hidden away.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: APM on March 21, 2022, 12:03:58 PM
Armagh and the officials seemed to give them too much respect.

Good post, APM, and this is the line that resonated with me the most. I thought our lads were in awe at the site of the Kerry jersey for much of the game and made a litany of mistakes in terms of shot and pass selection, committing to a tackle when standing off would have been better and vice versa. They seemed to throw caution to the wind in the last ten minutes and just went toe to toe with Kerry and at that stage were able to put it up to them.

As disappointing as it was, these are the matches that Armagh need to be playing regularly to bring them on. There were a number of valuable lessons to be learned yesterday, and I really hope they are taken on board.   

armaghniac

You aren't going to beat the top team in the country unless you get stuck in, there is no scope for standing back and admiring them. Armagh made many mistakes and the occurrence of those needs to be halved and if that lesson is learned then some good may come out of it.
Cracking crowd in the Athletic grounds though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B