2012 USPGA Championship

Started by whitegoodman, August 07, 2012, 08:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Does nobody rate Gmac? I think he'll still be well in the top 15 in four years time!

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on August 14, 2012, 04:47:47 PM
Does nobody rate Gmac? I think he'll still be well in the top 15 in four years time!
Well he's 13th at the moment, so that's inside, but not comfortably inside the Top 15. A lot can and will change in the next 4 years.

I hadnt realised that outside the Top 15, it was limited to 2 per country. No wonder Podge wants them to be Brits!

All joking aside, its going to be a massive issue for both Rory and G Mac.

While many sports of the Olympics are individual events, its hugely important which country you are representing. Jingoism is a massive part of the Olympics. Whereas in normal day-to-day golf its doesnt matter what country you're from, and with the World Cup there is no option for them other than to represent Ireland.

I'd be pretty confident that both of them will select Ireland, regardless of whether they are in the Top 15 or not. Neither of them court controversy, but there'll be consternation among Paddy Irishman if they chose Team GB, whereas Paddy Englishman, Scotman or Welshmen wouldnt give a damn who they chose.

trileacman

Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2012, 05:06:06 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 14, 2012, 04:47:47 PM
Well he's 13th at the moment, so that's inside, but not comfortably inside the Top 15. A lot can and will change in the next 4 years.

I hadnt realised that outside the Top 15, it was limited to 2 per country. No wonder Podge wants them to be Brits!

All joking aside, its going to be a massive issue for both Rory and G Mac.

While many sports of the Olympics are individual events, its hugely important which country you are representing. Jingoism is a massive part of the Olympics. Whereas in normal day-to-day golf its doesnt matter what country you're from, and with the World Cup there is no option for them other than to represent Ireland.

I'd be pretty confident that both of them will select Ireland, regardless of whether they are in the Top 15 or not. Neither of them court controversy, but there'll be consternation among Paddy Irishman if they chose Team GB, whereas Paddy Englishman, Scotman or Welshmen wouldnt give a damn who they chose.

I pity them tbh, fucked if you do and fucked if you don't. It will be taken by one side to turn you in a Billy/taig or castle catholic.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

dec

But Billy Ulsterman might give a damn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: dec on August 15, 2012, 12:09:27 AM

But Billy Ulsterman might give a damn.

That would cause a serious outbreak of acute SUFTUM!!!

stew

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 14, 2012, 12:55:29 PM
Is it cos Rory is a catholic with what seems to be very protestant based idealisms and tendencies and the fact that he hasn't been drawn on the issue?  :-X

I think Rory is the first obvious generation of human being in the north who does not give a shite about what transpired prior to their birth and I applaud him for that.

I am old school, I would prefer he declared for us but if he declares for the brits I will still wish him well, at least he is capable of independent thought and he is a very likeable young man, fair fcuks to him.

G mac is another great young man, lets celebrate the feck out of these players, I love Darren Clarke, he is the consummate everyman and he is one of us, as is G Mac, Rory and Harrington, fcuk sake, this era will probably never happen again, put aside the tribal bullshite and be happy for your own, orange or green, at this stage......................who gives a fcuk!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2012, 02:04:29 AM
Is it cos Rory is a catholic with what seems to be very protestant based idealisms and tendencies and the fact that he hasn't been drawn on the issue?  :-X

I think Rory is the first obvious generation of human being in the north who does not give a shite about what transpired prior to their birth and I applaud him for that.

I am old school, I would prefer he declared for us but if he declares for the brits I will still wish him well, at least he is capable of independent thought and he is a very likeable young man, fair fcuks to him.

G mac is another great young man, lets celebrate the feck out of these players, I love Darren Clarke, he is the consummate everyman and he is one of us, as is G Mac, Rory and Harrington, fcuk sake, this era will probably never happen again, put aside the tribal bullshite and be happy for your own, orange or green, at this stage......................who gives a fcuk!

Nail    on     head.

deiseach

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2012, 02:04:29 AM

I must confess to giving a fcuk about these things . . . but I wouldn't go to war over it. As you say, I'd hope they'd choose to golf for Ireland but good luck to them whatever path they choose

Orior

I wonder why the press dont give much weight to the sporting pedigree on his Mother's side?

We hear a lot about how his Dad was once a scratch handicapper, but I was at school with his uncle Mickey McDonald. He was a brilliant gaelic footballer for St Colmans and Armagh and a decent soccer player for Glenavon and Cliftonville (I think). I also remember sports day in St Colmans and Mickey showed signs of being a great decathlon athlete.

PS. Why was Rory's uncle shot dead?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2012, 01:07:22 PM
I wonder why the press dont give much weight to the sporting pedigree on his Mother's side?

We hear a lot about how his Dad was once a scratch handicapper, but I was at school with his uncle Mickey McDonald. He was a brilliant gaelic footballer for St Colmans and Armagh and a decent soccer player for Glenavon and Cliftonville (I think). I also remember sports day in St Colmans and Mickey showed signs of being a great decathlon athlete.

PS. Why was Rory's uncle shot dead?

I knew Mickey quite well, he was an excellent footballer and always had a smile on his face, his mustache was cheesier than Tom Sellicks though!

As for why Rory's uncle was shot dead, consider the times he lived in and the thousands of others who died in similar fashion.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Was Mickey McDonald shot dead, or wasit another uncle?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 15, 2012, 07:18:28 PM
Was Mickey McDonald shot dead, or wasit another uncle?

Police in Northern Ireland are to re-open investigations into the sectarian murder of Rory McIlroy's great uncle at the height of the troubles.

Joseph McIlroy, brother of Rory's golfing grandfather Jimmy, was targeted by the UVF simply because he was a Catholic living in the Protestant area of Orangefield, near Holywood, where Rory's side of the McIlroy family still reside.

The father of four was gunned down in his own kitchen in 1972 after loyalist paramilitaries had camped out in his garden.

Jimmy McIlroy was fixing the washing machine when the gunmen opened fire through the back door of the family home as his four daughters slept upstairs.

His young wife Mary had just gone into the living room when the gunmen pounced, aiming at a target visible through the frosted back door but not identifiable as man, woman or child.

The inquest into the November 1972 killing heard that Jimmy staggered into the living room after five rounds of gunfire.

"I put my arms around him and then I noticed my hands were covered in blood. I ran screaming into the street," Mary McIlroy told the inquest.

Police at the time made it clear that Joseph McIlroy, known to his friends as Joe, was shot merely because he had moved his Catholic family into the Protestant Orangefield area of East Belfast.
No-one has ever been charged and convicted of the killing of Joseph McIlroy, one of hundreds of unsolved murders now being re-examined by the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

The story came to light at the weekend as internet chat-rooms debated Rory McIlroy's Irishness and the swift disappearance of an Irish tricolor thrown in his direction minutes after his US Open win at Congressional.

Some loyalist fans in the North have claimed the disappearance of the flag as a victory for their cause, others have confirmed that the Catholic McIlroy has no interest in the politics of Northern Ireland's past.

His parents Gerry and Rosie are both Catholics. Gerry's father Jimmy, the first McIlroy to grace the fairways of Holywood golf club, was one of the first Catholics to work in the Harlaand and Wolf shipyard.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

QuoteGerry's father Jimmy, the first McIlroy to grace the fairways of Holywood golf club, was one of the first Catholics to work in the Harlaand and Wolf shipyard.

One of the first Catholics to work in the Haarland and Wolf shipyard? What age is he, 100?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

I disn't know anything about that. I must say it makes the muppet eho threw him the tricolour as Congressional look like some clown and makes this whole "who will he declare for" shite moot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 15, 2012, 07:37:58 PM
QuoteGerry's father Jimmy, the first McIlroy to grace the fairways of Holywood golf club, was one of the first Catholics to work in the Harlaand and Wolf shipyard.

One of the first Catholics to work in the Haarland and Wolf shipyard? What age is he, 100?

Well considering that it opened in 1861 he'd be some age if he were the first FFS. What knobs make this stuff up??

Hate this tribal shite on here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea