Weatherspoons come to Site Cinty Dublin

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 26, 2013, 03:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on November 27, 2013, 08:26:14 AM
I'd think the problem with Weatherspoons in Belfast in that it's the only one of its ilk. So it's like a magnet for every degenerate within 3 miles. In London where there's more of these types of pub, the degenerates get thinned out, and there's some cracking JD pubs.

I was in the Belfast Weatherspoons once, never noticed the neanderthals TBH as I thought they hung out in Benedicts just up the road??

tc_manchester

The Weatherspoons are generally decent run pubs - it all depends on the clientele. There are 4 in Manchester City Centre. 3 of them are decent but the one in Piccadilly Gardens (by the bus station and tram) is a nightmare. Generally the scrotes will walk to the cheapest and closest pub. If you want to drink with decent company then don't go to the cheapest pub in an area. They will have a lot of decent people in them but they will attract the scrotes.

southdown

They do very decent pub food at good prices.  Cheap drink.  Good for during the day but lack of music at night makes it a bit dull.  All in all, its decent for a few jars and a bite to eat. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on November 27, 2013, 08:36:40 AM
I'd think the problem with Weatherspoons in Belfast in that it's the only one of its ilk. So it's like a magnet for every degenerate within 3 miles. In London where there's more of these types of pub, the degenerates get thinned out, and there's some cracking JD pubs.

I was in the Belfast Weatherspoons once, never noticed the neanderthals TBH as I thought they hung out in Benedicts just up the road??
Haven't been in it in years but the last time I was there we made a hasty exit as a mass brawl started and the punters started attacking the bouncers when they intervened! The front door fell off the hinges onto the footpath outside and I clearly remember someone swinging a bottle at a bouncers head but luckily it just caught the doorframe and smashed!  :o I should say this was more than 12 years ago, so maybe it has tightened itself up since then!

CD

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 27, 2013, 01:39:38 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 27, 2013, 08:36:40 AM

Haven't been in it in years but the last time I was there we made a hasty exit as a mass brawl started and the punters started attacking the bouncers when they intervened! The front door fell off the hinges onto the footpath outside and I clearly remember someone swinging a bottle at a bouncers head but luckily it just caught the doorframe and smashed!  :o I should say this was more than 12 years ago, so maybe it has tightened itself up since then!

Nope - they just reattached the door and got bigger bouncers
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Shamrock Shore

To top off the decline of Blackrock it has been confirmed (although the dogs on the street had an inkling) that Cuala GAA club are moving from Dalkey to Blackrock having agreed a share arrangement with the seriously in-debt Blackrock RFC on Stradbrook Road.

Dougal Maguire

Don't worry SSS. Weather spoons will be the making of Blackrock. It might even persuade that tight fisted website brother in law of mine and neighbour of yours to actually buy me a drink next time I'm down that way instead of threatening to buy me one!!!
Careful now

Eamonnca1

Quote from: CD on November 26, 2013, 03:41:20 PM
'And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear's, and its mouth was like a lion's mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marvelled as they followed the beast. And they worshipped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshipped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?" And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. ...'

This was written in BC 3400 when the first Ye Olde Weatherspoons opened in Gomorrah. It was known as the Jewel of Canaan before it opened. Forty-two months later, fire and brimstone. Goodbye Blackrock.

Quality!  ;D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
I've been in many a Weatherspoons in England and never felt threatened.

Two things I liked about the ones in England:

• The barmen were trained to keep an eye out for who was next. Nobody ever got served out-of-turn before me in a Weatherspoon's pub.
  • No music. You could actually hear people talking. What a concept.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tc_manchester on November 27, 2013, 08:43:35 AM
The Weatherspoons are generally decent run pubs - it all depends on the clientele. There are 4 in Manchester City Centre. 3 of them are decent but the one in Piccadilly Gardens (by the bus station and tram) is a nightmare. Generally the scrotes will walk to the cheapest and closest pub. If you want to drink with decent company then don't go to the cheapest pub in an area. They will have a lot of decent people in them but they will attract the scrotes.

I know the one you mean. Used to go to the one by Piccadilly Gardens many's a time and had no bother, but they say you don't want to be there when City's playing United.

The Moon Under Water down on Deansgate was a different crowd altogether. Mostly students and people just finished working in offices nearby.