most important club to your county

Started by thejuice, November 17, 2012, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antoinse

Quote from: INDIANA on November 19, 2012, 11:02:22 AM
St Vincents. But then again I would say that. ;D

But leaving players aside. Without the influence of the likes of Kevin Heffernan, Pat O Neill, Mickey Whelan, Pat Gilroy as managers we'd be nowhere.

Still means every club in Dublin hates us!
no, not everyone just the jealous ones and the ones that are
not members to get the €3.50 drinks at the weekend

Walter Cronc

Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2012, 01:52:17 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on November 18, 2012, 07:48:26 PM
I would say bellaghy have been the most important. They backboned the county for years, not now but. Now it would be ballinderry, they have been the most consistent club in recent years. In the future itll be magherafelt and glen, they are producing great underage teams.

But the most important place overall will be derry city. There is one senior team and 4 junior teams in a city of 110,000 people. If they can manage to get more players playing here then itll be a huge difference. After derry won sam in 93 it was said derry city was like the ' the untapped oil resources of north russia'. 20 years on they remain untapped. One city player in squad last year, none this year.

Cant disagree with that analysis, but only add that Ballinderrys dominance has resulted in zero returns at county championship level which is a pity considering some of the players they had/have. When you think of Dungiven, Lavey and as you said Bellaghy, when these teams were at the top, our county team prospered, not with Ballinderry, don't really know why either.

Think you are being a tad harsh on Muldoon and Kevin Mc Guckin there. Glen provided 4 key players to successful Derry sides of the early to mid 90s but a bit like the Moy of Tyrone struggled to take that into club level.

shawshank

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 19, 2012, 02:11:40 PM
I would say bellaghy have been the most important. They backboned the county for years, not now but. Now it would be ballinderry, they have been the most consistent club in recent years. In the future itll be magherafelt and glen, they are producing great underage teams.

But the most important place overall will be derry city. There is one senior team and 4 junior teams in a city of 110,000 people. If they can manage to get more players playing here then itll be a huge difference. After derry won sam in 93 it was said derry city was like the ' the untapped oil resources of north russia'. 20 years on they remain untapped. One city player in squad last year, none this year.

Cant disagree with that analysis, but only add that Ballinderrys dominance has resulted in zero returns at county championship level which is a pity considering some of the players they had/have. When you think of Dungiven, Lavey and as you said Bellaghy, when these teams were at the top, our county team prospered, not with Ballinderry, don't really know why either.

Think you are being a tad harsh on Muldoon and Kevin Mc Guckin there. Glen provided 4 key players to successful Derry sides of the early to mid 90s but a bit like the Moy of Tyrone struggled to take that into club level.

Why did you pick on Muldoon, at least he played on an Ulster championship winning team. But did mention Mc Guckian, there were more than that, Mc Cusker, Gilligan, Conway  to name a few also. I am certain that since Ballinderry dominated Derry club football from 2001 onwards we have had a brutal period in championship football. As I said before I don't why, ,maybe there isn't a correlation to make. Is it as simple as 'shit happens'

camanchero

Quote from: INDIANA on November 19, 2012, 11:02:22 AM
St Vincents. But then again I would say that. ;D

But leaving players aside. Without the influence of the likes of Kevin Heffernan, Pat O Neill, Mickey Whelan, Pat Gilroy as managers we'd be nowhere.

Still means every club in Dublin hates us!
would agree with St Vincents - but didnt think Pat O'Neill was a Vincents man ??

Walter Cronc

Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2012, 02:35:11 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 19, 2012, 02:11:40 PM

Why did you pick on Muldoon, at least he played on an Ulster championship winning team. But did mention Mc Guckian, there were more than that, Mc Cusker, Gilligan, Conway  to name a few also. I am certain that since Ballinderry dominated Derry club football from 2001 onwards we have had a brutal period in championship football. As I said before I don't why, ,maybe there isn't a correlation to make. Is it as simple as 'shit happens'

Why did I pick on Muldoon?? What are you on about, I'm the one defending Muldoon and Mc Guckin. They both had great careers for their county. You are the one stating that Ballinderry provided zero return at county level. You must be from Bellaghy or Kilrea ;)

shawshank

Don't be bringing TFAL into this FGS. I didn't mention Muldoons name, you did. I then pointed out he has an Ulster championship winners medal. You obviously think that we have had a wonderful 12 years at intercounty football.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2012, 02:47:07 PM
Don't be bringing TFAL into this FGS. I didn't mention Muldoons name, you did. I then pointed out he has an Ulster championship winners medal. You obviously think that we have had a wonderful 12 years at intercounty football.

And Kilrea provided who? Martin O'Neill? ;)

trileacman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 19, 2012, 01:19:58 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2012, 11:13:53 PM
In terms of the recent success it has to be Errigal. Mickey Harte, Peter and Pascal Canavan, Davy Harte, John Devine, Enda McGinley, Mark Harte, Cormac McGinley, Peter Harte and Daisy McDermott amongst many others have played their part in silverware at different levels.

Ardboe seem to provide the mercurial talents in Frank, Brian and Tommy McGuigan as well as the twinkle-toed McConville. The Moy have produced solid All-Ireland performers in Philip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh, Ryan Mellon and Colm Cavanagh - all scorers in All-Ireland finals. And Plunkett.

Collie Holmes also played all his underage football with the Moy and part of his senior career. He along with S Cavanagh, Mellon and Jordan all started the 08 final with Colm coming off the bench. Definitely an achievment for a small enough club.

Important player, big man to break the middle, something we never had for an extended period. Easy to forget he was from Moy, always Armagh Harps on the programme.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Lucifer

How did Holmes end up with Armagh Harps? Seems strange considering the short distance between the 2 areas.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Crete Boom on November 19, 2012, 01:22:49 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 18, 2012, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 18, 2012, 01:45:51 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2012, 06:41:41 PM
Mayo would probably be the big town clubs of Ballina Stephenites and Castlebar Mitchels. (36 and 27 county titles respectively)

Though it must be noted how much of a sleeping giant Castlebar are in this respect.
They haven't won a title in 20 years, their longest drought since 1903-1930.

Here's hoping we can return to the glory days of 95-07 where the North Mayo trinity of Crossmolina (6), Ballina (4) & Knockmore (2) won 12 out of 13 between them.

Don't mind deelin NBTD  ;)  It would have to be ourselves the 1st team to bring Andy Merrigan to the plains of Mayo , throw in 3 connact titles , 6 county championships when the competion was savage ,8 or 9 league titles and the fact that we allways had 4 or 5 players on the county senior panel/team .

Remind me which club set the record for the most amount of county titles won in a row which even the mighty men from Crossmaglen could only equal? I think you'll find we managed an All Ireland too and how come Mayo don't wear the Cross colours if they are the most important team in the county ???? Oh the Maroon and white of Mayo just doesn't have the same ring to it  ;).
Up the Stephenites the heart and soul of the county 8)

Hould yer horses...Mayo actually took up the colours of that great club, yes you've guessed it, Carnacon.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Lucifer on November 19, 2012, 04:52:55 PM
How did Holmes end up with Armagh Harps? Seems strange considering the short distance between the 2 areas.
even better, how did he end up at APM?

trileacman

Quote from: Lucifer on November 19, 2012, 04:52:55 PM

Don't know, strange allright.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 19, 2012, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 19, 2012, 10:59:34 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 18, 2012, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 18, 2012, 05:43:52 PM

Cornafean did draw their great teams from neighbouring clubs as there was a rule at the time stipulating you had to play senior club championship to play for Cavan.

The Reds might have a few lads playing Senior Championship next year, if the amalgamations go ahead. Think it will be the only way they will ever win a Senior Championship in the future.

I honestly think that will ruin football in the county if that goes ahead

What is the story there, is it related to the restructuring of the leagues?
I was looking through the Cavan board and could see no discussion on it.

I think Tom Reilly the County Chairman has a vision of turning Cavan into Kerry in the Future by replacting their County Championship. It was mentioned back around March/April this year and is going ahead as far as I know.
It will lead to a congested fixture list. The League's started this year back in Feburay, the Division Final is only being played next Sunday.

Divison 1 Senior League will have 10 teams next year. 7 teams were relagated. Senior Championship  will cosist of those teams and a a few amalgamations. 20 teams will play in the intermediate. Some of those will be part of the senior under the amalgamations. Going to be a bit crazy...
[/quote]

Cavan club football has gone from bad to dire. Something has to be done to try and address this. I think Tom is trying to do something to raise the standards and while there will be problems I think it is worth a go.

thejuice

Actually I think arguments could be made in the case of Meath football that the most influencial clubs at the minute are either the Vortex(or whatever its called now) or the Palace.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 19, 2012, 01:50:20 PM
Rather than saying who the most important club in Longford is/was (actually, in my opinion there is no such thing as the Forgneys and Grattans are just as important as the top senior clubs) I could say who thinks that they are the most important.

I am sure the other lads would agree with me if I said Clonguish  ;)

I agree, though not so much the club as the current officials. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...