Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Watched Trainspotting, decent enough but there wasn't much of a story there.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nifan

Quote from: Orior on January 21, 2013, 12:54:30 PM
Had the misfortune of (having to) watching two 'girlie' films at the weekend. Both complete tripe, but women seem to enjoy.

1) Because I Said So, with Diane Keaton. Awful tripe. Included a scene where a daughter tried to explain to her mother what an orgasm felt like.
2) Its Complicated, with Meryl Streep. Complete tripe.

From a television perspective, worst weekend ever.

I was made sit through that first one too - awful is not the word. It defied all logic.
I was working on the laptop but the crapness still managed to seep through to me

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2013, 10:46:08 PM
Quote from: The Worker on January 18, 2013, 10:43:34 PM
Anyone seen fligh yet? Heard good reports.
Denzel is on The Graham Norton Show.

You have a while thing for him.
He was saying to Graham Norton that he was glad his stalker had stopped following him, but apparently Ryan Gosling is getting it tight these days.

I liked Flight - had no idea what it was about other than snippets from The Graham Norton Show. A solid 8/10.

Started watching Lincoln last night and didn't realise it would be so based on the legalities of the emancipation proclamation. I sort of assumed there would be a lot of battlefield scenes. At half-time the report is very good and Daniel Day Lewis and supporting cast are excellent.

Canalman

Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).
Good film all the same. 1st 60 minutes or so especially.  7/10.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on January 23, 2013, 09:24:54 AM
Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).

Always thought the same about Pulp Fiction, nearly as over-rated as Anchorman or Apocalypse Now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

front of the mountain

Watched Lawless other night on DVD, thought it was great show about bootlegging in prohibition era. Tom Hardy one of best actors around at minute!!

blanketattack

I thought Django Unchained was very good. From watching the first hour or so I thought it'd be one of the all-time great movies, but didn't turn out that way. Still a very enjoyable few hours. Looking at IMDB it must hold the record for anachronisms in a movie!
I'm glad I watched it in the cinema rather than on my laptop. The cinematography of the mountain scenery was incredible. I couldn't tell if one scene with the ice-covered mountains glistening was fake or not though.
The next film I plan to see is Lincoln, essentially the sequel to Django Unchained!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AFS on January 23, 2013, 12:02:58 AM
Thought Silver Linings Playbook was OK. Worth watching for Jennifer Lawrence if for nothing else. Probably indicative of how poor the last year has been that a nothing movie like this hoovers up the Oscar nominations. Probably also indicative of what a load of shite the Oscars are.
I could not disagree more. Completely ott negative critique. It was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. The performances of cooper, Lawrence, deniro and coopers mum were outstanding. I found the story compelling and also well paced. It was heart warming. It was re released in the states and distributed to wider audience based on word of mouth. How can you say "probably also indicative of what a load of shite the oscars are" ? It is totally deserving of all its award IMO. But the funny thing I agree in part about the oscars as how they can ignore Ben afleck and Leo this yr is a joke and last yr how did that hanks movie get nominated...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mouview

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about. A bit like all of Quentin "Look how many character actors I cast whose faces you know but names you've forgotten such as James Remar, Don Stroud, Bruce Dern, Walton Goggins, Russ Tamblyn, MC Gainey, Franco Nero, Lee Horsley, John Jarratt, Gary Grubbs etc." Tarantino.

ballinaman

Watched "Out of the blue". New Zealand movie about true story of a guy who went on a shooting spree in a quiet seaside village in 1990. Remains as the worst massacre in NZ history. Compelling watch.

john mcgill

Went to see Lincoln over the Christmas holidays.  It is long and slow at times but DDL is a great Lincoln.  It made me read up on Lincoln and I feel that I would need to see it again.  This coming from a person whose last excursion to the cinema was to see Michael Collins!

Puckoon

Quote from: mouview on January 23, 2013, 02:34:14 PM

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about.

And in turn I wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is one of the most memorable movies in recent (even though its 20 years old) history.

trileacman

Quote from: Puckoon on January 23, 2013, 05:25:18 PM

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about.

And in turn I wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is one of the most memorable movies in recent (even though its 20 years old) history.

I think Pulp Fiction is shit, don't by the hype at all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Puckoon

Quote from: trileacman on January 23, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

If you're watching it looking for hype, I'm not surprised.

I wonder if there'd be any value in a thread for "movies I didn't really get". I was watching Ocean's 12 last night and I still for the life of me can't really figure out how they did it. Ocean's 11 took me a good few watches to figure the scam out as well, much to my shame.

trileacman

Quote from: Puckoon on January 23, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 23, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

If you're watching it looking for hype, I'm not surprised.

I wonder if there'd be any value in a thread for "movies I didn't really get". I was watching Ocean's 12 last night and I still for the life of me can't really figure out how they did it. Ocean's 11 took me a good few watches to figure the scam out as well, much to my shame.
I watched it following some friends recommendations, I thought it was shit.

They swap bags on the train.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014