USFC Round 1: Derry vs. Antrim

Started by whiskeysteve, May 06, 2007, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Slim...good luck on the bet, did ye think that ye would not get slagging over yesterday. Inevitabl

Black and white

Jesus Springfield are you ever going to see anything rationally where Eoin is involved?  Just because he didnt get the frees you say he should have, he was justfied he sticking the head into his marker???  

Springfield

didnt i say i wasnt justifying the action.what i was merly saying was that bruno had a stinker of a game.as for calling the incident a headbutt, its abiot OTT. the two men had their heads pushed forward into each other and as the dungiven man moved his head back, eoin continued to push his forward.it wasnt a draw back of t6he head and a full on headbutt.
none the less, hel get two monthes.with him suspended and paddy injured, our championship hopes are up in smoke

Black and white

just becasue you made the statement i am not trying to justifiy it, doesnt mean you didnt go on to try and justifiy it.  what you did was like saying

no offence but you are one ugly c*nt. 

Is Paddy out for long? i dont think you championship hope are over just yet

Dungiven Sur

Quote from: Springfield on June 11, 2007, 04:56:02 PM
didnt i say i wasnt justifying the action.what i was merly saying was that bruno had a stinker of a game.as for calling the incident a headbutt, its abiot OTT. the two men had their heads pushed forward into each other and as the dungiven man moved his head back, eoin continued to push his forward.it wasnt a draw back of t6he head and a full on headbutt.
none the less, hel get two monthes.with him suspended and paddy injured, our championship hopes are up in smoke

He put his head into our player, not a fully blown head butt I agree, but he then attempted to throw another punch at him, going off the pitch another altercation ensued where he hit another Dungvien player, albeit rather pathetically.  He made a real tit of himself and has probably fcuked up Glenullin's already slim championship chances.

Glensman

Good piece by Heaney in the Irish News today.

Jody had to adapt after the performance in the league and as I was saying on Sunday alot of Derry's wides were forced rather than just plain bad shooting. The difference was indeed that Derry did have a couple of half forwards about to pop them over on occasion from long range and eventually Antrims lack of experience (and arguably skill) cost them.

Blanket defence used by the successful Ulster teams over the past number of years. Antrim try it, it works for a bit and they eventually fall. It will come with hard work and application.

Milltown Row - I await your scorn/scepticism with bated breath.

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: Glensman on June 12, 2007, 08:49:22 AM
Good piece by Heaney in the Irish News today.

Jody had to adapt after the performance in the league and as I was saying on Sunday alot of Derry's wides were forced rather than just plain bad shooting. The difference was indeed that Derry did have a couple of half forwards about to pop them over on occasion from long range and eventually Antrims lack of experience (and arguably skill) cost them.

Blanket defence used by the successful Ulster teams over the past number of years. Antrim try it, it works for a bit and they eventually fall. It will come with hard work and application.

Milltown Row - I await your scorn/scepticism with bated breath.

bollocks. Antrim covered the area where any half decent forward would score 10 times out of 10 and left the wing and beyond the 45 free of any kind of defence. Derry kicked 10 wides in the first half and you're trying to tell me this was due to good defending by Antrim?? good defending wouldnt allow 10 shots! when Derry realised the amount of space on the wings the popped it out there and had a go- even threw it out beyond the 45 for Diver to drive one over the heads of Antrims 12 man defence and between the sticks!!

derrymad

Only back in country this morning.  We won anyway.  Heard not too impressive but still in the semis.  Anyone who was at the match go through player ratings.  Missed monday supplement of the irish news.  No one kept it for me. cheers!!

A fan is prob better than paddy heaney anyway!!

Glensman

You can keep your bollocks Slim...when forced to shoot from distance you are more likely to miss than if you are shooting from nearer the net. Fact. Antrim did that by keeping Derry out of their 21/40 as best they could - giving 10 shots from distance is better than a few inside and giving goal chances.
Muldoon was just a different class and caught a couple of long balls and popped them over.
Gilligan didn't get too many opportunities as Loughrey was on him tight enough but when play loosened up in second half with Antrim chasing/wilting he did and he scored a few...therefore Antrim's tactic worked.
It was just quite a few things outside of the tactic that didn't work - when Antrim did get the ball and broke they often ran into traffic, some basic errors etc etc.

Also and again I agree with Paddy Heaney - aside from their goal which came from an error Derry did not have a sniff of a goal chance. Therefore what was a big problem previously was erradictaed. Again it was just the fact that there weren't too many outlets between the defence and the wee men up front.

If Antrim were allowed 17 players this would have all been solved...

DUBSFORSAM1

Glensman

Sorry I don't know how anyone could argue that Antrim played the right tactics....if they were planning on losing but keeping the score down maybe but there was absolutely no chance of winning with them tactics....

It was absolutely hilarious watching players just turn their backs on the ball and sprint back to defence when the ball was lost...Derry players were allowed bring the ball from their own 21 yard line up to the Antrim half without anyone even getting close to make a tackle..

There were example of Antrim getting a free in midfield - they had 2 players in the Derry half being marked by 4 defenders and they had no-one running forward....

How were Antrim going to avoid running into traffic when everyone in the ground knew that they couldn't kick the ball forward as there were no forwards to kick the ball to!!!!

saffron sam2

Quote from: Glensman on June 12, 2007, 12:18:47 PM
You can keep your bollocks Slim...when forced to shoot from distance you are more likely to miss than if you are shooting from nearer the net. Fact. Antrim did that by keeping Derry out of their 21/40 as best they could - giving 10 shots from distance is better than a few inside and giving goal chances.
Muldoon was just a different class and caught a couple of long balls and popped them over.
Gilligan didn't get too many opportunities as Loughrey was on him tight enough but when play loosened up in second half with Antrim chasing/wilting he did and he scored a few...therefore Antrim's tactic worked.
It was just quite a few things outside of the tactic that didn't work - when Antrim did get the ball and broke they often ran into traffic, some basic errors etc etc.

Explain the easy frees Gilligan missed in the first half then Einstein - too much pressure from Loughrey then too.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Real SlimShady

Antrims tactic worked?? holy f**k. You are obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer Glensman- Antrim were beat convincingly by a very very poor Derry performance.

''giving 10 shots from distance is better....'' I'll stop you right there- giving any free shots from anywhere is the height of stupidity, maybe it'd be OK if they were playing Mitchels or someone of that calibre but a County side that had Enda Muldoon on it?! Get a grip man.

''when Antrim did get the ball and broke they often ran into traffic...''

when you have 13 men behind the ball it doesnt leave defenders much of an outlet when they do get hold of it- look at Tony Scullion in the 2nd half, a couple of driving runs up the field with absolutely nobody in front of him apart from Derry jerseys and 2 hidden Antrim ones covered by 4 defenders in CJ and Cunningham.

Loughrey? Loughrey was absolutely brutal man, were you at the game?!#

''Also and again I agree with Paddy Heaney - aside from their goal which came from an error Derry did not have a sniff of a goal chance. Therefore what was a big problem previously was erradictaed''

a 12 year old could have erradicated that problem-they'd just have done what Gormley did and brought all the players back in front of goal!!

I've listened to a lot of chat about the tactics and who played well/poor etc since Sunday but you're the 1st person to have came from this slant. You seem to have accepted that we aren't good enough and are willing to settle for that.

Black and white

Slim you arent good enough and you should settle.  and you calling Derry a very very very poor team doesnt make them one.  Derry are at worst an average team maybe even just above average esp with Bradley playing.

saffron sam2

Quote from: derrymad on June 12, 2007, 11:20:58 AM
Only back in country this morning.  We won anyway.  Heard not too impressive but still in the semis.  Anyone who was at the match go through player ratings.  Missed monday supplement of the irish news.  No one kept it for me. cheers!!

A fan is prob better than paddy heaney anyway!!

Firstly, Irish  News ratings:
ANTRIM RATINGS

Sean McGreevy: Probably could share 20 per cent of the blame for Derry's goal. His short kick-out to Sean McVeigh was a bit risky and the Antrim full-back was dispossessed. His long

kick-outs were more effective. Didn't have a save to make. 6

Tony Scullion: The Cargin defender did a good job on Mark Lynch. For a brief period, he was released into the half-back line and broke forward with purpose before being pulled back to nullify Paddy Bradley. 6.5

Paul Doherty: Tracked Joe Diver for the majority of the game at wing-half, but the Derry man had too many openings at Antrim's goalposts for Doherty's liking. 5

Kevin O'Boyle: An encouraging debut for the Cargin defender. Kept Raymond Wilkinson quiet for most of the game. 6

Sean McVeigh: The Antrim full-back found Enda Muldoon's craftiness too much. He was also caught in possession which led to Derry's goal. 5

Gavin Bell: Saw off Barry McGoldrick's threat and was moved around Antrim's backline. Didn't really get into any attacking positions. 6

Justin Crozier: The 19-year-old Championship debutant broke forward from centre-back to great effect several times and showed he has a lot of quality. But didn't see the ball enough. 7

Michael McCann: A mixed bag for the highly-rated midfielder. Won a couple of high balls, but made some unforced errors. 6

Joe Quinn: Enjoyed some good and bad spells against Fergal Doherty. Strangely, dropped back in front of his defence at times, but didn't have the influence Antrim would have expected. 6

Aodhan Gallagher: Worked tirelessly and had reasonable spells on Paul Carton and Patsy Bradley. Had a sniff of the goalposts in the 48th minute, but scuffed his shot. 5

Kevin Niblock: An odd substitution by Jody Gormley. The St Gall's centre-forward was up for the fight and was giving Sean Marty Lockhart a run for his money. Effective from open play. 7

James Loughery: Expended a lot of energy by shuttling back to pick up Conleith Gilligan and cut out the hub of Derry's attack in the first half. Gilligan, though, had more influence in the second period. 5.5

Conor McGourty: A touch of class. The fearless teenager didn't see a lot of the ball, but still managed to pick off three smashing points from play. Antrim's best player by some distance. 8

Kevin Brady: Played a very defensive game and therefore didn't make an impression. Pushed further forward in the second half, but was surprisingly substituted when he might've pinched a three-pointer. 6

Patrick Cunningham: Ended the game with five points and did his bit for the cause. Reliable from frees and linked play well. 7

Subs

Eoin O'Neill: Didn't make the impression on Sean Marty Lockhart, but tried very hard. 5

Ciaran Close: Like for like with Kevin Brady making way. Looked lively, but didnt get a shot at the posts. 5

Paul Close: Not on long enough to be rated.

DERRY RATINGS

Barry Gillis: Had no saves to make. Claimed one very awkward high ball that dropped at cross-section of the crossbar and upright. 7

Michael McGoldrick: Had a tough baptism against CJ McGourty, who landed three points from play, although there wasn't much McGoldrick could have done on two of them. 5

Kevin McCloy: Initially it looked like Paddy Cunningham would have too much speed for McCloy, but he survived a couple of scares and held his opponent scoreless from play. 6

Gerard O'Kane: Was extremely prominent in the opening quarter when he made several strong runs from defence. Thereafter he got on with defending and did a sound job on Kevin Brady. 6

Paul Carton: Forced to retire after just half-an-hour. Guilty of one bad error when he lost possession, but otherwise was solid. 6

Sean Martin Lockhart: Had a few tricky moments against Kevin Niblock. Competent and efficient at centre-back, he would probably have preferred to mark with CJ McGourty. 6

Cathal McKeever: Assumed the role of spare defender when his opponent, James Loughrey dropped back into the Antrim defence. Provided cover for McCloy and McGoldrick and picked up a few stray passes. Distribution was good. 7

Fergal Doherty: Went through a phenomenal amount of work. Showed great example when he gave away possession with a bad pass, but then won the ball back for Derry after chasing, then robbing Michael McCann with a great tackle. 7

James Conway: The Ballinderry man won an inordinate amount of possession. He made driving runs, landed a couple of telling passes and caught his fair share of kick-outs. 8

Barry McGoldrick: Struggled to escape the shackles of the impressive Justin Crozier. Scored a good point in the 17th minute. 5

Conleith Gilligan: Had a poor first half in which he kicked four wides. Was transformed in the second half. Played a key role in setting up the goal and finished the game with an impressive tally of 0-5. 7

Joe Diver: Was a member of the quartet which included Doherty, Conway and Patsy Bradley that allowed Derry to dominate at midfield. Struck a great point in the seventh minute. 7

Raymond Wilkinson: Did well when setting up the goal for Mark Lynch. Tried hard but his shooting lacked accuracy and conviction. 5

Enda Muldoon: Star Man

In a game bereft of genuine quality, Muldoon was like a rose amongst thorns.

James Conway provided a towering display of power and industry, CJ McGourty struck three fine points, but Muldoon was just undiluted class.

Virtually every time he had the ball, something happened. He scored four points from play. He was also fouled for a number of scores. On one occasion he out-fielded three Antrim defenders who promptly fouled him and Gilligan converted.

With Paddy Bradley sitting on the sidelines, Derry needed a forward to win the game for them. Muldoon filled the breach with aplomb. 8.5

Picture: Jonathan Porter

Mark Lynch: Was guilty of a couple of wides. Got into the scoring groove when moved to wing-forward. Got the all-important goal. 6.5

Subs

Patsy Bradley: Replaced Paul Carton. Had a fine second half, particularly in the closing quarter when he collected lots of breaking ball. 7

Colin Devlin: Move and acts like a quality corner-forward. Just needs to start hitting the target. 6

Paddy Bradley: Not on long enough to be rated.

Liam Hinphey: Not on long enough to be rated.

Now Saffron Sam's ratings
ANTRIM RATINGS

Sean McGreevy: Shamefully treated in the past by Culbert, showed commendable attitude in coming back.  May have a backroom role to play, but it is time to blood young Kerr. 6

Tony Scullion: Looked fit, but unable to kick the back in the direction he intended.  Wouldn't get near a full strength Antrim defence.  5

Paul Doherty: Certainly knocked his pan in and produced a committed performance, but has to be a central defender. 7

Kevin O'Boyle: Very quiet game (as did his opponent), unusual man-marking style. Has potential. 6

Sean McVeigh: Not a full back, was never a full back and was totally the wrong man to be asked to deal with the only attacking option Derry had. I don't blame him - I blame those who put him there and told him not to challenge under the high ball. 4

Gavin Bell: Not a county standard footballer, I don't blame him; I blame those who put him there.  6

Justin Crozier: Will be the mainstay of the Antrim defence for years to come if he doesn't get afflicted with Carginitis. 7

Michael McCann: Decent performance, but not just big or strong for inter-county midfield. Would be more at home at half-forward, but again one to build the team round. 7

Joe Quinn: Time's up for big Joe I'm afraid, but he's done his bit for Antrim through many lean years. 5

Aodhan Gallagher: See Gavin Bell. 4

Kevin Niblock: Seemed to be doing ok - surpirse change.  6

James Loughery: Not particularly noticeable, but hopefully will provide something in the future. 6

Conor McGourty: It must be extremely frustrating for such an exceptional talent to be surrounded by such mediocrity and to have such tactics employed by his own team.  Will be the mainstay of the Antrim forward line for years if he doesn't get his brother Kevinitis. 9

Kevin Brady: Needed much more from the most experienced man in the forward line. 6

Patrick Cunningham: Decent game, scored a cracker from 55 yards. Will be a bit part of the Antrim forward line for years if he doesn't get Buchananitis.  7

Subs

Eoin O'Neill: Pointless substitution.  3

Ciaran Close: Strangely didn't wear his shirt before he came on, but got on just long enough to prove why he didn't start. 4

Paul Close: Not on long enough to be rated.

DERRY RATINGS

Barry Gillis: A liability for later in the summer.  Uncomfortable under the high ball and kicks big looping kickouts making it extremely difficult for his team to win clean possession. 5

Michael McGoldrick: Tried hard against McGourty but too small. 5

Kevin McCloy: Very solid in the air, but could have been cleaned out for pace. 7

Gerard O'Kane: Very disappointing, good at solo running with the head down, but little else. 6

Paul Carton: An accident waiting to happen.  Has neither the discipline or skill needed for championship football. 6

Sean Martin Lockhart: Didn't impress me as a chb, may be better sacrificing him to man mark the opposition dangerman. 6

Cathal McKeever: Looked the part, but wasn't overly tested. Better option than Hinphey. 7

Fergal Doherty: Horse of a game.  Has nearly everything you would want as a midfielder.  We were cleaned out there. 8

James Conway: See Fergal Doherty. 8

Barry McGoldrick: Lacked pace for the wing, more suited to chf - may struggle to get his place the next day. 5

Conleith Gilligan: Awful first half, missed several easy chances.  Has never convinced me that he is capable of making the step up to county standard. Decent second half as those around him wilted in the sun.  5

Joe Diver: Big strong performance, prepared to throw his weight around.  Harshly penalised for overcarrying twice.  Excellent point, but came across as a bit of a loose cannon. Unfortunate to be substituted. 7

Raymond Wilkinson: Who? 4.

Enda Muldoon: Superb, radar like accuracy, but doesn't convince in the way that Kieran Donaghy does in that role. 9

Mark Lynch: Wasted standing in the corner for near an hour. Get him out to the half forward line or midfield. Scored one great point when moved out.

Subs

Patsy Bradley: Surprising introduction at half back, but more than justified this. Certainly worth a start the next day. Very unlucky to be behind Conway and Doherty in the pecking order. 7

Colin Devlin: Too small. 6

Paddy Bradley: Shouldn't have been brought on - very disappointing that Derry choose to do this.

Liam Hinphey: Not on long enough to be rated.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

Look it's very simple we (Antrim) don't have the players that can match other teams in Ulster even Fermanagh for size, yes we can match them for skill but what was evident on Sunday was that we were smaller than all the Derry lads bar Wilkinson who makes up for it with speed, McCann in midfield is a big lad for Antrim but up against the Derry lads he looked average in height. We died in the second half so our fitness levels were poor as well.

Blanket defence only works if the team is super fit, play as a team, who look for the ball, and half forwards defending and attacking the whole game. Too many times on Sunday I saw lads standing still after they off loaded the ball, that's bull-shite.

Antrim were coming out of defence and there was no options for them. I don't want to harp back to when we won the Ulster club and semi final but, that was a major part of our game, support play, working the ball into the forward line, another big part of our game was the fitness, when an opposing player had the ball he was closed down by at least 3 players forcing errors or making him over carry the ball. The intensity that Naomh Gall put into those games I've yet to see at Antrim county level.

When Cargin beat us last year in Championship, they had it. Antrim need to develop a team spirit, very hard to do when players don't get on or are heading off every summer. But don't come on and say we forced Derry to play badly. When the game was 6 each at half time that's when Antrim should have put them on the back foot.

I was standing in the crowd with at least 6 players that played for the county last year. The lads have various reasons for not playing but I'd say Antrim need these lads to be playing or part of the panel for Antrim to be competitive