Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Well seeing as a healthy bar at the club could only be a sign of a prosperous, close knit community, then you're probably right Ross.

Blue Island

Wobbler. I don't think we are that far apart on the issue. I would not advocate the scrapping of the starred system, I just believe it has been over used and I would prefer quality over quantity. There are too many starred games. The starred system was inventive. but I believe it has been extended too far and we need to get the intensity back.

That of course was not the only problem. Allowing a situation where you can come near the bottom of the league and beat the fourth team from the bottom and stay up created a problem too.  It allowed complacency by providing a safety net.   

A ten team division would naturally mean less need for starred games and would require less teams involved in the play off positions. At least there is a reduction now to 12 teams. 16 was a disaster.

As regards to Turkey's voting for Christmas, we would be one those Turkey's and whilst I don't know what the majority would vote in my own club, most people I speak to would have the attitude that if you are good enough you will be in Div One  and if not you will just have to work harder.

6th Sam. I can see what you are saying, particularly about intercounty player burn out. It is like the Children of the Corn now where players disappear when they hit a certain age. (about 31) Too much is expected of county players, but whilst I agree with the symptoms I would not agree with the cure.

Your suggestion reminds me of the way Rugby has went in Ireland. The All Ireland league used to draw crowds and their best players played for the province, but their primary loyalty remained with the club. The provincial system (permanent contracts etc) has been a raging success, but their club league is away to the dogs. We don't have an international audience and our strength is primarily with clubs. I realise you are not suggesting players are not allowed to play for the clubs, just a reduction. But the more county players are distanced from the clubs the more it will diminish the leagues. The GAA's core strength remains primarily with the club.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a club v county thing. There are other ways of limiting the amount of games and times spent training by county players.

6th sam

Yes, I think we're all in agreement what the problems are, just probably have different views on solutions. I am not actually recommending less club games for county players, but more club games for ALL county players.  My GAA utopia would involve Dec/Jan/Feb:off season/pre-season. Mar/April/may:provincial seeding championships & club league. May/June/July  :club championship "regular season". July/August/sept: AI series top 16 round robin/bottom 16 Roundrobin with bottom 16 finalists earning re-entry into top 16 knockout stages , & club league. Sept/oct/Nov: remaining regular club championship season, with last 3 weeks being knockout qf/sf/f and relegation qf/sf/f. Nov/dec : club provincials and AI series.

The key concept is that ALL players are given the opportunity for regular club and county football. We retain the provincial championships but in a champions league round-robin format , providing regular games, no dead rubbers in view of top 16 qualification and seeding. Ulster and Leinster would provide 5 qualifiers each for top 16 , Munster & Connacht 3-thus redressing the current provincial imbalance. The bottom 16 finalists gain re-entry to top 16 for qf playoff with lowest ranked qualifying top 16 teams7,8.
This gives every county regular football for their Intercounty block , & therefore a chance to develop in-year.
Club league football proceeds during county football blocks with some county panellists released on certain days and all county players can return to clubs as soon as their county campaign finishes.
However Come early sept, it's "club time"! The big difference is that this must involve a system of games for all clubs up until the last two weeks of county championships eg seeded Roundrobin, & also championship relegation qf/sf playoffs . This gives all club players exposure to meaningful championship games, & means that clubs get a chance to play several games with their full complement. The club league allows fringe players to fight for their club championship place , in th knowledge that county players will be coming back into the squad for the championship .

This sounds more complicated  than it actually is. It allows for competitive club football, county football for all, while protecting county players.

interested

Unless any of Blueisland,6thSam or indeed any others sit on county board we are all wasting out keyboard time on something that we have no control over. Potential Down team for Sat night,anyone?

general

Anyone have the list of teams in the 4 Football divisions this year?

outinfront

Division 1
Burren=sean ward
Bryansford= brian burns
Ballyholland= Steven poacher
Kilcoo= Paul McIlvor
Mayobridge=
Glenn=
CPN=
Clonduff=
Castlewellan= shorty trainer
Saval=Gareth thornton
Longstone=
Ballymartin=

Division 2
RGU Downpatrick=Conor Deegan
Rostrevor= Shane Mulholland
Annaclone=
Liatroim= Shane King
Clann na Banna= Gary Farrell
Loughinisland= Jerome Johnstone
Darragh Cross=
Tullylish= was Eamon Burns but now with County
Bredagh=
An Riocht=
Carryduff=
St. John's= Paul McShane

Division 3
Attical=
Drumaness=
Bosco=
Saul=
Dromara=
Shamrocks=
Kilclief=
Drumgath=
Glassdrumman= Emmett Devlin
Teconnaught=

Division 4
Aughlisnafin=
Dundrum=
Mitchels=
Ardglass= Ryan Kelly
St pauls=
Bright= Noel Burke
St Michaels=
Aghaderg=
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

A man from Down

Quote from: interested on January 26, 2016, 09:16:51 AM
Unless any of Blueisland,6thSam or indeed any others sit on county board we are all wasting out keyboard time on something that we have no control over. Potential Down team for Sat night,anyone?

No idea.

Apart from the papers writing that Laverty and Benny McArdle are unavailable, who else is injured?
Are any more old heads in?
Are the Sigerson lads playing?
Any new faces getting a chance?
Will it rain?
Will a player do an interview with the Irish News before Saturday "stating that Down need to start winning things and that the spirit is better than ever"?

F$ck knows, but at least the proper football is back. I have missed the torture

Predictor

Quote from: outinfront on January 26, 2016, 10:38:06 AM
Division 1
Burren=sean ward
Bryansford= brian burns
Ballyholland= Steven poacher
Kilcoo= Paul McIlvor
Mayobridge=
Glenn=
CPN=
Clonduff=
Castlewellan= shorty trainer
Saval=Gareth thornton
Longstone=
Ballymartin=

Division 2
Annaclone=
Liatroim= Shane King
Darragh Cross=
Tullylish= was Eamon Burns but now with County
Bredagh=
An Riocht=
Carryduff=
St. John's= Paul McShane

Division 3
Attical=
Drumaness=
Bosco=
Saul=
Dromara=
Shamrocks=
Kilclief=
Drumgath=
Teconnaught=

Division 4
Aughlisnafin=
Dundrum=
Mitchels=
Ardglass= Ryan Kelly
St pauls=
Bright= Noel Burke
St Michaels=
Aghaderg=
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

Dundrum have Francie Toner in and near sure Killyleagh and Ballykinlar have folded so that leaves 8 teams in Division 4 so each team prob play each other 3 times

Ed Hardy

Quote from: interested on January 26, 2016, 09:16:51 AM

I would imagine something like this;

Kane
Magee
C Mc Govern
D O hagan  (if fit?)
O Hanlon
Carr
Boyle
P Turley
Mc Kernan
Maginn
Poland
Mooney
O Hare
Madine
Mc Conville.

I'd personally like to see G Mc Govern, N Mc Parland, R Johnson involved. And Clarke obviously! Is Jerome J. out injured?

PAULD123

Quote from: Predictor on January 26, 2016, 07:45:55 PM
Dundrum have Francie Toner in and near sure Killyleagh and Ballykinlar have folded so that leaves 8 teams in Division 4 so each team prob play each other 3 times

I can't understand this. How can there not be 15 guys that want to play football? Even playing badly or at a poor standard is at least a game. Surely Ballykinlar can find 15 fellas who would like  a run-out, if for nothing else other than health and social purposes. Or is it money? Can they simply not make enough to pay for the upkeep of the ground, the club, the kits? Do GAA clubs have to pay rates to the council on their field?

My post may sound naive, but I actually know nothing about clubs financing methods. So is it money or a lack of players?

redzone

Between £70000 - £90000 to run a club for the year Pauld

A man from Down

Rubbish,

It varies much more depending on the size of the club, its membership, clubhouse facilities etc. 70k - 90k is too specific.

A big club in Dublin is a world apart from a small rural club with few teams and limited facilities. 

I'd imagine any club person with access on this information won't be forthcoming so lets not open a can of worms here.......

The main problem is people power as people bring in the money:

If a club are unable to attract people then you are going to struggle not just with playing numbers (across the age groups) but also fundraisers, volunteers, members who contribute to fundraising, membership fees, etc.

DownFanatic

Division 1

Burren=Sean Ward
Bryansford= Brian Burns
Ballyholland= Steven Poacher
Kilcoo= Paul McIvor
Mayobridge=Frank Dawson
Glenn=John Kennedy
CPN=Bernie Ruane
Clonduff= Ross Carr
Castlewellan= Shorty Treanor
Saval=Gareth Thornton
Longstone=Keith Kelly
Ballymartin=Hugh Trainor

Division 2

Annaclone=Justy Lynch
Liatroim= Shane King
Darragh Cross=Bundy Mason
Tullylish=
Bredagh=Jody Gormley
An Riocht=Brendan McVeigh Snr
Carryduff=Tom Potter
St. John's= Paul McShane

Division 3

Attical=Paddy O'Higgins
Drumaness=John Morgan
Bosco=Gavin Quinn
Saul=Cathal Murray
Dromara=Niall O'Toole
Shamrocks=
Kilclief=
Drumgath=
Teconnaught=Dan Rice

Division 4

Aughlisnafin=
Dundrum=Francie Toner
Mitchels=
Ardglass= Ryan Kelly
St Pauls=
Bright= Noel Burke
St Michaels=Simon Crozier
Aghaderg=

knockitdown

Division 1

Burren=Sean Ward
Bryansford= Brian Burns
Ballyholland= Steven Poacher
Kilcoo= Paul McIvor
Mayobridge=Frank Dawson
Glenn=John Kennedy
CPN=Bernie Ruane
Clonduff= Ross Carr
Castlewellan= Shorty Treanor
Saval=Gareth Thornton
Longstone=Keith Kelly
Ballymartin=Hugh Trainor

Division 2

Annaclone=Justy Lynch
Liatroim= Shane King
Darragh Cross=Bundy Mason
Tullylish=
Bredagh=Jody Gormley
An Riocht=Brendan McVeigh Snr
Carryduff=Tom Potter
St. John's= Paul McShane

Division 3

Attical=Paddy O'Higgins
Drumaness=John Morgan
Bosco=Gavin Quinn
Saul=Cathal Murray
Dromara=Niall O'Toole
Shamrocks=
Kilclief=
Drumgath=Ronan Sexton
Teconnaught=Dan Rice

Division 4

Aughlisnafin=
Dundrum=Francie Toner
Mitchels=
Ardglass= Ryan Kelly
St Pauls=
Bright= Noel Burke
St Michaels=Simon Crozier
Aghaderg=

redzone

Quote from: A man from Down on January 27, 2016, 02:32:20 PM
Rubbish,

It varies much more depending on the size of the club, its membership, clubhouse facilities etc. 70k - 90k is too specific.

A big club in Dublin is a world apart from a small rural club with few teams and limited facilities. 

I'd imagine any club person with access on this information won't be forthcoming so lets not open a can of worms here.......

The main problem is people power as people bring in the money:

If a club are unable to attract people then you are going to struggle not just with playing numbers (across the age groups) but also fundraisers, volunteers, members who contribute to fundraising, membership fees, etc.

Lol, how can u rubbish that statement when u don't have anything to back it up. That's what it costs for a div 1 team that fields at all levels men and women. I'm sure someone can confirm it. That's no outside manager, standard clubrooms, 2 pitche. Prob a bit cheaper on lower divisions . Even to enter teams in completions at all age groups is big money. Strange how u think nobody in down will be forthcoming with any info.