Ballymote 0-7 Tourlestrane 3-12
Easkey 2-8 Bunninadden 2-6
St. Mary's 0-3 Eastern Harps 4-12
Castleconnor 0-7 Curry 2-9

Enniscrone PvP St. John's
Coolera/Strandhill 1-14 Tubbercurry 0-9
Calry/St. Joseph's 1-7 St. Farnan's 0-10
Shamrock Gaels 2-8 Drumcliffe/Rosses Point 1-11

Eastern Harps v St. Molaise Gaels (no result yet)
Owenmore Gaels PvP Geevagh
St. Pat's 1-9 St. Michael's 1-11
Coolaney/Mullinabreena w/o Coolera/Strandhill

Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Mary's
Ballisodare v Cloonacool
Easkey 1-6 Curry 1-11
St. Michael's 0-16 St. Farnan's 1-6

The decline of two once-great clubs continues, Mary's suffer another rout at home, and are certainties to go down in 1A, while Pat's are losing ground in 2A after losing to Michael's, and need to get results soon. The 'big three' are clear in 1A, and it's tight in 1B, Drumcliffe, Coolera and Tubber on 6 points, with Shams just behind on 5.

Owenmoresider

RTE.ie's report on the Hurling Division 3 final, hard luck to them, they were leading for a good while but the Rossies came through narrowly. Should put up a strong challenge in the Rackard Cup though.

Roscommon 1-13 Sligo 0-15
Sunday, 29 April 2007 22:59
A 58th minute goal from Colm Kelly proved crucial as Roscommon claimed a 1-13 to 0-15 victory over Sligo in today's NHL Division Three final at Breffni Park.

In what their first senior final since 1997, the Rossies triumphed despite having David Loughnane sent off for a straight red card offence in the ninth-minute.

Sligo sharpshooter Keith Raymond hit seven of his side's eight first half points, but Roscommon only trailed by the minimum at half-time thanks to free-taker Shane Sweeney.

Three Sweeney frees helped the Rossies go ahead, Kelly's goal followed and although Paul Seevers kept Sligo competitive, time ran out on the 2004 winners.

Given that twelve months ago, Roscommon were struggling to fulfil their league fixtures and Anthony Flaherty, a 47-year-old selector, was forced to line out in the starting team at one stage, today's win marks a remarkable turnaround in the county's small-ball fortunes.

Since David McConn's appointment last year, the Rossies have worked themselves into shape and proved more than a match for a Sligo side that were competing in their third Division Three final in five years.

Sligo went in front thanks to a early free from Seevers and stil led 0-4 to 0-3, midway through the first half. Roscommon were seeing plenty of ball and were unfortunate not to chalk up a goal when Sweeney kicked the sliotar wide from close range.

Raymond, who hails from Calry-St Joseph's club and also plays Under-21 football for the county, then took control, landing seven excellent points to stamp his authority all over the game.

He helped wind-backed Sligo into a four-point lead but McConn's charges never wilted with Sweeney proving an effective scorer from frees.

A trio of Sweeney frees, who brought his tally to 0-8, allied to a Tom Redmond point, sent the Rossies into a 0-11 to 0-9 lead, ten minutes into the second half.

Goal scorer Kelly, a former Sigerson Cup winner with UCC, struck a point before Raymond (0-2) and Morgan Fitzsimons  bisected the Roscommon posts.

With the game ebbing and flowing, it was always likely that a goal would make the difference and so it proved as the 6ft 6in Kelly took down a high ball into the danger area before turning and firing to the Sligo net.

Kelly moved his side 1-13 to 0-12 ahead with a further point and despite a late rally from the Yeats men - Michael Gilmartin, Fitzsimons and Seevers sent over a trio of unanswered points - Roscommon held on to continue their encouraging revival under McConn.

Owenmoresider

And one other result of note - Sligo ladies won their Connacht Championship opener against Roscommon, 3-13 to 1-10.

magpie seanie

A welcome return to form by our senior footballers. Tubber were missing a good few though. Still, I'm encouraged.

Disgusted with the pulling of county players over the weekend. At this time of year with exams approaching its very tight for fielding a second team and it caused us to not be able to field a second team. The rules set out are quite clear for county players - can't play for their club 13 days or less prior to a championship match. If Tommy Breheny wants to change that I suggest he tables a motion through his club next year to do so. Another example of clubs being shit on from a height and a further undermining of the leagues.

Very hard luck to the hurlers. They have made great strides and should be contenders for the Rackard Cup this summer.

A good result too for the women. Hopefully if we get NY out of the way the men can do likewise.

Minors playing next weekend - any word of venue/time?

Owenmoresider

The Park on Saturday AFAIK. Rossies only drew with Leitrim so the pressure is on for them.

magpie seanie

continues our losing streak in Div 2A last night - this time going down to St. Pats 0-6 to 2-9. Actually score does not do us justice for a decent performance with a really threadbare team. At one point in the second half we worked a goal opportunity which was somehow saved and they went straight down and got a goal. Anyhow - we need to up it considerably after the NY break. Groud is shocking hard, can hardly walk today.

all star

Big one for us tomorrow Easkey at home at 4 it will be a hot one on all fronts. there's no love lost between us and easkey and this is the first time in a while we had a chance to host them so I would excpet sparks to fly. Played Ballymote last week think they were missing a couple but were poor.

I am not a big fan of Marys always like beating them, but for the future of football in sligo/town  you can't afford to have a weak st. Marys team.   

Mano

Good man all star (easier name to quote that the last one). I will be over to see ye in action tomorrow. Easkey will hardly bring the 'rent a mob' to an away game. There should be no lack of motivation to put one over on them.

magpie seanie

QuoteEaskey will hardly bring the 'rent a mob' to an away game.

The ould random breath testing has these bucks fecked for going to away matches. Would you give them a lift?!!

On the Mary's issue they are fecked cos they haven't had any signings in recent year and in fact the two Rooneys and Heavin have gone back to where they came from. Their underage system was non-existant for years (to be fair they have now rectified this admirably) so they really are short of good players. I still wouldn't be surprised if they avoided relegation but the morale there isn't good from what I hear. They need a win soon.

In terms of Sligo town St. John's have a way bigger population to pick from and they were in Div 3 (or 2A as it is called) last year.

baoithe

Seanie, what were Pats like last night?

magpie seanie

To be honest and this doesn't reflect too well on us but I thought Pats were pretty poor. I know a lot of their players and there is more in them but they just don't seem to be going great at present. I think they have a major problem scoring - no really accurate forwards. All that said Pats tend to get things going for the championship and should be a tough test in the intermediate. Are not short of big strong lads and love the physical stuff. They have a couple of lads missing at the moment too who will add to things.

That's it really. Spent most of the first half in the jetwash of a speedster so missed a lot of what was going on around me. Had a more sedately paced opponent in the second period which suited me grand.

Shrewdness

Connacht Minor Football Championship, Round Robin played in Markievicz Park last night.........
ROSCOMMON 1-13, SLIGO 0-8. Donal Shine didn't play for Ros, still carrying an injury.

Ros through to semi's to play Galway or Mayo.....

Owenmoresider

Were Sligo any good Shrewdness? Were 9-1 down at HT I believe.

At least the Juniors beat the Ros on Friday evening anyway (what is it with Sligo v Ros this year?), 1-17 to 1-15 AET.

Team/panel was:
Darren Kearns, Conor Carroll, Thomas Gormley, Eoin McHugh, Cathal Sheridan, David McDonagh, Dermot Walsh, Peter Wilson, Shane Stenson, Francis Quinn, Mark Gordon, Peter Lyons, Stephen Coen, Kevin Langan, John Scanlon Subs used :- Michael Gormely for Quinn, Neil Ewing for Conor Carroll, Liam Og Gormley for Langan -- Glen McCormick, Mark McGrath, Jason Farrell and Caolan O'Grady.

Final against Mayo is on before the Galway/Mayo game in Salthill.

Also should mention, albeit belatedly, the death of former Sligo captain Pat Dockry of Ballymote. Played around the late 80's/early 90's, captained the team in '89 IIRC. From Duffy's piece in the Champion:

Sligo G.A.A. followers were shocked and saddened at the weekend to learn of the untimely death of Pat. Dockery in Cork. Pat was an outstanding footballer with his native Ballymote and played for Sligo at all levels. He was a great leader on the field and was honoured with the captain's role on the team in the early 90's.Indeed his late father Padraic had also played for Sligo in the 1950's .Pat was a great sportsman and a very versatile performer. He will be sadly missed. On behalf of all Sligo G.A.A. followers I extend sincere sympathy to his wife and family in Cork and his family in Ballymote. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam

Owenmoresider

The weekend's fare so far. Once again Aertel ignores the fact that there are four divisions, so no 2B results yet. Website is back up but not in full action, speaking of which we are looking to find our third Assistant Secretary in the one year, Henry resigned recently. We got a proper trimming from the St. Molaise Gaels club, an amalgamation of the clubs formerly known as Grange, Northern Gaels (Cliffoney) and Benbulben Rangers (Maugherow), at the weekend, and another coming from Geevagh tomorrow I fear.

Bunninadden 1-8 Ballymote 1-10
Tourlestrane 2-10 Easkey 3-5
Curry 3-15 St. Mary's 0-7
Eastern Harps 2-13 Castleconnor 0-6

Tubbercurry 2-5 Enniscrone 2-5
St. John's 0-8 Coolera/Strandhill 0-12
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point 1-9 Calry/St. Joseph's 1-9
St. Farnan's 1-13 Shamrock Gaels 2-9

Geevagh v Eastern Harps
St. Molaise Gaels 1-19 Owenmore Gaels 0-6
Coolera/Strandhill 0-6 St. Pat's 2-9
St. Michael's 2-17 Coolaney/Mullinabreena 3-9

Cloonacool v Calry/ St. Joseph's
St. Mary's v Ballisodare
St. Farnan's v Easkey
Curry v St. Michael's

magpie seanie

Correction - in Div 1B we beat St. John's 0-12 to 0-8, not the way they had it on Aertel.