NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2023, 02:46:22 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 31, 2023, 11:45:53 AM
Quote from: naka on January 31, 2023, 09:13:46 AM
Armagh / Mayo this Sunday will be interesting , let's see if the hype about Armagh is correct or was last year another false dawn.
Was at blayney and thought Armagh were comfortable in the second half but the Mayo/Galway  game was played at a far higher level .
Looking forward to it myself. Would like to think we'll give a good account of ourselves especially at home!
Apart from 10-15 mins at start of 2nd half Armagh were pretty poor, so getting 2 points was a job well done. Mayo a different kettle of fish, Ruane will Lord MF if we line out the same. Hall to the bench, Soupy to HF and an established MFer in there.

Midfield is definitely a concern and has been for a while. Although he sometimes flatters to deceive and hasn't always delivered on his potential, I think Grimley has to slot in there. 

naka

Quote from: onefaircounty on January 31, 2023, 04:38:48 PM
Armagh / Mayo this Sunday will be interesting , let's see if the hype about Armagh is correct or was last year another false dawn.
Was at blayney and thought Armagh were comfortable in the second half but the Mayo/Galway  game was played at a far higher level .
Looking forward to it myself. Would like to think we'll give a good account of ourselves especially at home!
Apart from 10-15 mins at start of 2nd half Armagh were pretty poor, so getting 2 points was a job well done. Mayo a different kettle of fish, Ruane will Lord MF if we line out the same. Hall to the bench, Soupy to HF and an established MFer in there.

Who though?

Crealey, two Mackins and Oisin O'Neill all out.

Is Stephen Sherifan the only reconised out and out midfielder floating around the first 26?

Rian O'Neill or Murnin may have to do a bit of fire fighting - but the latter may not have the mobility for it.

Edit: Jarly Og too, of course.
What's the score with James Morgan ?

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on January 31, 2023, 05:23:41 PM

Midfield is definitely a concern and has been for a while. Although he sometimes flatters to deceive and hasn't always delivered on his potential, I think Grimley has to slot in there.
Ciaran Mackin was probably our best player or one of them in the league last year and is a massive loss as is Crealey and Oisin O'Neill of course. Take the first 3 choices out of any midfield and it would look light. I'd be confident in Grimley being able to slot in midfield, was excellent a few years back but hasn't really hit those heights since.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 31, 2023, 06:41:33 PM

Ciaran Mackin was probably our best player or one of them in the league last year and is a massive loss as is Crealey and Oisin O'Neill of course. Take the first 3 choices out of any midfield and it would look light. I'd be confident in Grimley being able to slot in midfield, was excellent a few years back but hasn't really hit those heights since.

Yes those 3 players would certainly help matters. I'd be a bit concerned about Oisin O'Neill as he's been out injured a long time and he needs regular matches to thrive. I think our strongest midfield would probably be O'Neill with a workhorse beside him and that would probably be Mackin based on last years League. But he has had injury concerns also. Grimley has the ability but hasn't shown the consistency needed at county level and can flit in and out of matches. Maybe its now or never for him to try and nail down a regular starting slot. 

seafoid

Do Armagh have all decent footballers available? Last year Galway didn't because in January nobody was expecting anything.  A few of the prodigals have returned.

Captain Obvious

Gift of a goal allowed Armagh win. Monaghan was poor their best hope of staying up is for the final points total to be 4 points.

Mayo seem to be at championship pace and fitness already and that could be enough to edge a rusty Armagh.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on January 31, 2023, 07:31:24 PM

Do Armagh have all decent footballers available? Last year Galway didn't because in January nobody was expecting anything.  A few of the prodigals have returned.
Very few can think of that aren't part of the panel that you'd say are a big miss, Ryan Kennedy a miss in defence. Fair few injuries though which is far from ideal.

harryR

What's the story with Oisin O'Neill? Has missed loads of football the last 2-3 years

Armagh18

Quote from: harryR on January 31, 2023, 11:06:04 PM
What's the story with Oisin O'Neill? Has missed loads of football the last 2-3 years
Injury unfortunately. Some miss, he wouldn't be far behind the brother if he was going well!

galwayman

In Galway's case that's only really true of one player - Ian Burke.
Peter Cooke was based in the States at the time so it wasn't a runner for him.
Power and McHugh weren't there because Pj dropped them (and McHugh has been dropped again since).

naka

Tbf he is back trying to get fit, this season ( may June ) will be make or break , Armagh definitely need him if they are to break through .

Armagh18

Quote from: naka on February 01, 2023, 08:33:18 AM
Tbf he is back trying to get fit, this season ( may June ) will be make or break , Armagh definitely need him if they are to break through .
He'd be some addition but I wouldn't say that of any one player, bar probably Rian!

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on January 31, 2023, 11:27:00 PM

In Galway's case that's only really true of one player - Ian Burke.
Peter Cooke was based in the States at the time so it wasn't a runner for him.
Power and McHugh weren't there because Pj dropped them (and McHugh has been dropped again since).
What about Michael Daly and Varley ?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/02/01/burke-fans-competitive-flames-within-squad-as-roscommon-warm-to-top-flight-task/

Burke fans competitive flames within squad as Roscommon warm to top-flight task
Newcomers Cregg and O'Carroll bring their impressive UCD Sigerson form to help inspire opening victory over Tyrone

Davy Burke: 'We're realistic, but it's a good start, a really positive start, but at training there needs to be hair and skin flying, that's ultimately how it works.'
Wed Feb 1 2023 - 05:00

There was an added anxious hush when in the quiet anticipation around Dr Hyde Park last Sunday the announcement came through of three late changes to the Roscommon team. Nothing sends a greater chill down the neck of even the most faithful supporter.

Besides Tyrone were in town, the 2021 All-Ireland champions, the opening weekend of Allianz Football League already loaded with pressing necessity, especially when it came to Roscommon's survival prospects in Division One. Now was not the time for any great experimentation.

Freshly promoted again from last year, Roscommon have been the yo-yo champions of the league for the last decade or so – playing in all four divisions, each of the last six seasons ending in either promotion from Division Two or relegation from Division One.

Indeed they hadn't won a top flight match since pre-Covid times, and hadn't beaten Tyrone in any senior competition in 20 years. For new Roscommon manager Davy Burke, the 34-year-old Kildare native and youngest inter-county manager in the senior game, who only took charge in late October, there was pressure in the air.

So when those three late changes amounted to three first league starts – Conor Carroll in goal, Daire Cregg and Ben O'Carroll among the forwards – that anxious hush turned more anxious again.

Carroll and Cregg were making their first senior starts in any competition, as was Robbie Dolan at right half forward, the changes more surprising given Cregg replaced Enda Smith, and O'Carroll was in for Ciaráin Murtagh, two of the old and trusted guards.
Donie Smith had already been named on the bench, the long-serving Boyle forward with 99 appearances to his name already, between league and championship. Burke's team selection was young and bold and in more ways than one.

And it worked a treat, Roscommon winning 3-11 to Tyrone's 1-12, to ensure confidence is soaring as they head down to old rivals Galway this Sunday for Round 2.

Any concern that Cregg, also from Boyle, and O'Carroll, from St Brigid's mightn't yet be up to the task was promptly dismissed, Cregg setting up O'Carroll for Roscommon's opening score, before O'Carroll doubled the advantage; he finished with 1-2, including the injury-time goal which sealed Roscommon's delight, Cregg scoring one from play while orchestrating countless other offensive moves.

Burke clearly knew their capabilities, aided by the fact he's been observing their progress with UCD in this season's Sigerson Cup (Burke also manages NUI Maynooth).

On the previous Wednesday Cregg hit 2-2 as UCD put 7-8 past Ulster University at Jordanstown, setting up this evening's (Wednesday) quarter-final showdown against Technological University Dublin.

That appointment limits their involvement with Roscommon training this week in advance of the Galway game, though Burke is okay with that. Donie Smith came off the bench on the hour to make that 100th appearance, both Enda Smith and Ciaráin Murtagh also making a telling impact when introduced, Smith deftly setting up Murtagh for Roscommon's first goal on 53 minutes, after Tyrone had gone three points clear.

"Yeah, great team goals, but who did the first come from?" Burke duly noted. "Two subs, Enda Smith and Ciarán Murtagh, two lads who in their heads ask 'why aren't they starting'. It's competition, lads.

"That's the new wave coming, these young lads have been successful all the way up, let's do it. Now Ben's under pressure, because Ciarán came on, and Donie came on. We're realistic, but it's a good start, a really positive start, but at training there needs to be hair and skin flying, that's ultimately how it works."

Still only 22, Cregg also hit 1-5 in the Sigerson Cup first round win over Munster Technological University. He's in his third year of a dairy business degree at UCD (his father Gerard runs a 80-acre dairy farm in Boyle).

Roscommon beat Galway twice in Division Two last year, by five points in the group encounter at Dr Hyde Park, Galway already sure of promotion, and by a point in the final.

Galway got some revenge however when beating them in the Connacht final, and are bidding for their first win at Pearse Stadium after drawing with Mayo in the opening game.

They'll be meeting a renewed Roscommon challenge now that the likes of Cregg and O'Carroll are nailing down starting places. Burke's policy of selecting players purely on form and not reputation has helped the county get off to a winning start at least which, as other years have proven, is more than half the battle for Roscommon.

Rossfan

Some done, a lot to do.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM