Creationism

Started by tyssam5, May 27, 2010, 11:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2010, 09:02:34 AM
The same Catholic Church that believes chowing down on bread and wine is ~ to the body and blood of Christ...

It's symbolic ::). The CC think cannibalism is a sin.
The CC is riddled with symbolism.

AFS

Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 09:20:40 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2010, 08:51:08 AM
All running hand in hand with Sammy's revelations a while ago that there was no such thing as Global Warming, etc. while he was the minister for the environment.  If this was any other country, these balloons would be laughed out of their positions.  You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads bar hot air and the odd occasional tumble weed... :'(

To be fair to him he's not dening global warming he's questioning the importance of the anthropological role in global warming, he's certainly not alone in that.

Personally i think hes wrong but I would actually agree with his stance (the ends justifies the means), its nonsensical  to think we can hold hold back the tide of global warming like some modern day king canoute with a few windfarms and the odd tax on plastic bags etc :-\
Even if the rabid greenies got their dream wish list it would hold back the inexorable march of temperture rise by a mere few years. Any money thrown at the problem is wasted money so in that respect i agree with sammy.

And tell me, how has Sammy, or yourself for that matter, reached this conclusion given his apparent disregard for scientific opinion? Irrespective of climate change, are wind farms, or anything else that diminishes our dependence on fossil fuels, really a waste of money?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 28, 2010, 02:33:07 AM
The belief that the Earth was divinely created in 4004 BC originates with the writings of another Ulster-based Protestant, Archbishop of Armagh James Ussher, in 1654. Ussher calculated the date based on textual clues in the Old Testament, even settling on a date and time for the moment of creation: in the early hours of 23 October

Even if you accept that particular date, what relevance has it to an exhibition on from "Plantation to Powersharing"?

Did the Plantations not occur around 1600, long after Adam & Eve/Dinosaurs (choose your preference) dissappeared from the scene?

/Jim

tyssam5

Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 09:45:06 AM
The same Catholic Church that believes chowing down on bread and wine is ~ to the body and blood of Christ...

It's symbolic in other churches, in the Catholic church it is apparently the real deal, transubstantiation means you get the actual body and blood of JC.

Zapatista

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 28, 2010, 09:55:56 AM

It's symbolic in other churches, in the Catholic church it is apparently the real deal, transubstantiation means you get the actual body and blood of JC.

So when Jesus did it at the last supper he was handing out his own body and blood? If you actually believe that catholics think they are dirnking and eating Jesus you are as mad as they would be.

eggy bread

At my pre-marriage course nigh on 10 years ago the priest pleaded with folk to finish the wine at communion.  He stipulated it had to be all drank since it was blessed and if he had drank it all he would be over the limit for driving home, hardly the real deal now!!!

tyssam5

Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 09:57:56 AM

So when Jesus did it at the last supper he was handing out his own body and blood? If you actually believe that catholics think they are dirnking and eating Jesus you are as mad as they would be.

Don't believe it myself but that's the teaching. We never got the blood anyway, only the body.

delboy

Quote from: AFS on May 28, 2010, 09:53:50 AM
Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 09:20:40 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2010, 08:51:08 AM
All running hand in hand with Sammy's revelations a while ago that there was no such thing as Global Warming, etc. while he was the minister for the environment.  If this was any other country, these balloons would be laughed out of their positions.  You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads bar hot air and the odd occasional tumble weed... :'(

To be fair to him he's not dening global warming he's questioning the importance of the anthropological role in global warming, he's certainly not alone in that.

Personally i think hes wrong but I would actually agree with his stance (the ends justifies the means), its nonsensical  to think we can hold hold back the tide of global warming like some modern day king canoute with a few windfarms and the odd tax on plastic bags etc :-\
Even if the rabid greenies got their dream wish list it would hold back the inexorable march of temperture rise by a mere few years. Any money thrown at the problem is wasted money so in that respect i agree with sammy.

And tell me, how has Sammy, or yourself for that matter, reached this conclusion given his apparent disregard for scientific opinion? Irrespective of climate change, are wind farms, or anything else that diminishes our dependence on fossil fuels, really a waste of money?

Thats common knowledge i thought, you don't really think we can stop it do you  :D one small volcano in iceland can virtually bring europe to a halt such is our impunity against the forces of nature and you think we can 'fix' something as big and as complex as the planets climate system  :D

Ok wind farms, generally speaking waste of time, the grid has to run at slightly over capacity, electicity isn't stored its generated as its needed, that means the guys that run it have to know when the electricty is being generated and how much, wind farms don't do predictabilty so they have to call upon the coal, gas and nuclear stations to be sure of the energy, the wind farms electricity will of course be fed into the grid as but it'll just be used to top up spare capacity (the bit that doesn't get used) as it can't be relied upon.
It adds insult to injury that we have to pay a premium for this less useful form of electricty generation, its a funny old world right enough.

AFS

Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 10:09:58 AM
Thats common knowledge i thought, you don't really think we can stop it do you  :D one small volcano in iceland can virtually bring europe to a halt such is our impunity against the forces of nature and you think we can 'fix' something as big and as complex as the planets climate system  :D

Ok wind farms, generally speaking waste of time, the grid has to run at slightly over capacity, electicity isn't stored its generated as its needed, that means the guys that run it have to know when the electricty is being generated and how much, wind farms don't do predictabilty so they have to call upon the coal, gas and nuclear stations to be sure of the energy, the wind farms electricity will of course be fed into the grid as but it'll just be used to top up spare capacity as it can't be relied upon.
It adds insult to injury that we have to pay a premium for this less useful form of electricty generation, its a funny old world right enough.

What's the relevance of the effect of volcanic ash on aeroplane engines?

How do you figure that humans were capable of causing the problem, but are not capable of at least attempting to lessen its impacts? Either we're too insignificant, or we're not.

Never said wind farms were the holy grail. They're one part of a very big jigsaw.

eggy bread

Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 10:09:58 AM
Even if the rabid greenies got their dream wish list it would hold back the inexorable march of temperture rise by a mere few years.

Very sensible summation of the theoretical phenomenon that is man made global warming.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 10:00:34 AM
At my pre-marriage course nigh on 10 years ago the priest pleaded with folk to finish the wine at communion.  He stipulated it had to be all drank since it was blessed and if he had drank it all he would be over the limit for driving home, hardly the real deal now!!!

As Peter Griffin in Family Guy said on taking the communion wine at church said :

QuoteWhoa! Is that really the blood of Christ? ... Man, that guy must've been wasted 24/7

/Jim

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 08:45:16 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 28, 2010, 08:34:05 AM
No, I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church embraces evolution and therefore doesn't take quite a lot of the bible seriously. You know, the bits that make their modern day theory look stupid. At least the creationists are consistent in that they reckon that everything in the bible is true. But I reckon that I'm God so I'd like a small corner to myself. I have two other followers. Enough?

Strange run of thought there. Catholism get's a dig for modernising in line with new knowledge while creationists get applauded for being consitantly wrong?
I'm not applauding anybody. Hopefully they'll keep modernising and in years to come they'll decide it was all a big turd all along.

Maiden1

You could imagine the guide showing all the Creationists round the museum.

Err this would be a dinosaur skeleton from 65 million years ago if they existed, which of course they didn't because as we know the world is only 4000 years old. It's actually just a few pieces of joined together rock that is sort of dinosaur shaped.

Anything else in here which claims be over 4000 years old we can just ignore.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

eggy bread

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 28, 2010, 12:25:50 PM
You could imagine the guide showing all the Creationists round the museum.

Err this would be a dinosaur bone from 65 million years ago if they existed, which of course they don't because as we know the world is only 4000 years old. It's actually just a big rock that is sort of dinosaur shaped.

Anything else in here which claims be over 4000 years old we can just ignore.

http://creationmuseum.org/whats-here/exhibits/#dinosaur-den

It exists - I watched a documentary about it - some guy with a PhD in natural science said men and dinosaurs lived together, when questioned about scientific evidence he said all scientific evidence is correct unless it contradicts the bible!!

Zapatista

Did God not bury dinosaurs in in the earth to test our faith?