Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 12:30:55 PM

Jaysus, have you no google?

looking for it now, in the mean time

http://www.dcu.ie/alumni/spring04/p30.html
tried looking for it quite a few times, but can't find anything really on it (bar the headline figure).  Must go work now, but there doesn't seem to be much extra in that link you've provided.  Aside from the report, which to my mind must have quite a few assumptions, you can start by detailing what expenses are unrecompensed - I am not against the grants at all, but I just don't believe either the report (which I presume refers to possible earnings and opportunities missed out on) or that any player is actually out of pocket due to playing gaa at intercounty level.

M.Schofield

I also dont agree with the figure thats was bandied about regarding lost earnings. I feel it is too much but undoubtedly many Inter county players are left out of pocket by leaving early to get to training and , being unable to work at the weekends and in many cases having to take Fridays off as well to travel down for a saturday qualifier.

rrhf

out a few pounds, if their life isnt appreciable improved by the facilites we put in place for them then they have one big choice they should make.  You cant claim love of the jersey over love of the euro and then try and strike.  I feel sorry for county players who think more of the money than the prestige and honour that the jersey gives them, but its their choice they should leave the GAA rather than try and destroy it, because thats what they are doing. 

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: M.Schofield on December 12, 2007, 01:25:59 PM
I also dont agree with the figure thats was bandied about regarding lost earnings. I feel it is too much but undoubtedly many Inter county players are left out of pocket by leaving early to get to training and , being unable to work at the weekends and in many cases having to take Fridays off as well to travel down for a saturday qualifier.

Very true. They are out of pocket.

Does the club player get mileage expenses for travelling to training, does he have to leave early too? Does he get all his gear and boots supplied? Does he get mileage expenses for matches? Does he get fed at matches? Does he get his physiotherapy paid? (some clubs won't, others will have fund raising nights where the players essentially pay for it then)

The county players do have to make a bigger commitment than club players, but they also have more extensive support structures around them than club players (disregarding the grants).
i usse an speelchekor

M.Schofield

Guys very valid points but i suppose I should have quoted Bogball as my post was directed at himawhen he said that he doesnt belive county players are out of pocket. That was the only point I was trying to make, and I never mentioned the strike or the grant issue or whether IC players are more worthy than club players altho Radio I do agree that IC players make a substancially bigger commitment than club players.

rrhf

An armagh defender, a Cork Goalkeeper and a Dublin forward go into a bar.  Geezer says Donal Og, whos turn is it to get the drinks in.  Agh says dessie sure arent we the only ones in the bar, he turns around to the barman and demands 3 pints on the house.

Bogball XV

Quote from: M.Schofield on December 12, 2007, 01:38:49 PM
Guys very valid points but i suppose I should have quoted Bogball as my post was directed at himawhen he said that he doesnt belive county players are out of pocket. That was the only point I was trying to make, and I never mentioned the strike or the grant issue or whether IC players are more worthy than club players altho Radio I do agree that IC players make a substancially bigger commitment than club players.
I understand why they might be out of pocket, however there are several things to consider:
Firstly, IC players do not neccessarily make a bigger committment than club players - does your Leitrim hurler make more of a committment than a successful Kilkenny junior hurler?  I don't think so, likewise a successful club footballer and a Kilkenny county footballer, these examples are extreme, however, I imagine it's much more widespread than many imagine.
Players in less successful counties may be out of pocket due to having to take time off and so on, not that likely, but they may be, players from successful counties, I very much doubt, employers tend to be more than generous with time off and tend to support the player where possible.  Not in all cases, but I imagine in the majority.  Players from successful counties tend to get many intangible benefits from their status, this includes in many cases jobs, promotions etc, not to mention some of the other benefits outlined by heganboy on another thread, but reproduced here for you all:

Quote from: heganboy on December 11, 2007, 05:19:32 PM
Now this imho could make for a more interesting debate within the gpa especially in the north. There are stories and innuendo and all the rest about cash being handed over to players for any auld excuse. Now that hmrc will be very aware of the 150 odd (allowing for wee 6 players resident in mexico) who are paying tax in the north receiving a taxable income from a foreign country, will the players want their affairs put in the spotlight?
Surely the scrutiny would end up (allegedly) actually putting them out of pocket.
Caveat, I'm not on record as stating that there are many county players who receive large cash incentives to play for their county, nor those who asked for large cash considerations to continue to play rather than retire. I am also not stating that there are county players receiving freebies (benefit in kind mr tax man) from their employers because of the attention being drawn to the company. I am also not stating that county players are driving round in company cars of companies the don't work for (undeclared income mr taxman). I am also not asking for the source of deposits on houses that have been acquired by county players as I'm sure they were all from the players well thought out and legal savings plans. I would also like to point out that at no stage did I even hint at former county players offering to come back for another year if a very lucrative financial package was put in place for the year. Those type of allegations would previously have been absolutely unprovable, and I would distance myself from them completely. However it would just take one hmrc audit to make for a very uncomfortable position for any player who may have been involved in anything that I am not stating that they did.
Looks like the managers may have a pass as there would be no public verification of payment, maybe that's why there's no GMA, the auld fella's are a bit cuter...

ONeill

THE GREAT GAABOARD GRANT GROWL

When Dessie said he had a vision
True Gaels thought that he'd lost the plot.
They'd never take it on board we knew
Sure our council are a stubborn lot

Years passed since the grant's first mooting
In between Kerry nicked a couple more Sams
With Mayo on the end of their beatings
As Tyrone's titles were kind Kingdom alms.

They kept us waiting one March
Fifteen minutes we were made to stand
But we didn't mind this odd delay
And just listened to the Kinsale Pipe Band.

Dark Dessie then finally upped the anti
A strike was their action, 'nuclear!'
Would we be watching the cricket
Or the Ashes? – B'Jaysus the fear!

Our Nicky took wind from their sails
And said yes, you'll get Bertie's dosh
Dessie smiled, as did the genial Geezer
The season was saved, by gosh!

Twas Seany who started the ruckus
By posting the news on boul Toome
And as Dessie thought he'd had her settled
The Gaaboard ignited, Cyber-Boom!

Midlouth weighed in with a belter
And floored Hardstation with his fearsome Wee whelk
Bennyd proposed a new title
For the other gadderin at Derry's proud Elk.

Orangeman barged in all arms flinging
DMarsden dug deep the lighter pro-trench
Tram was taking no prisoners
Backed by Ziggy from the mid-Tyrone bench.

Darybo made an early appearance
But Bensars caught him clean, flush on.
Indiana wound up a haymaker
As pog sniped from his South Armagh bawn.

Drumanee fired all guns a-blazing
With Red Hand Luke fightin his side
Hardy weighed in with a right jab
And left Clubmember bleeding with pride.

Maximus donned his Roman artillery
Only to be pierced from Behind The Wire
Full Back smelt blood and threw uppers
And snapped Nag's head back into the mire.

Jinxy thought he'd scored a winner
But was met by a livid Bogball
Hegenboy saw a small opening
Shut closed by a Tyrone86's stone wall

RRHF led ruthlessly, feet first
DubsforSam caught the force on the head
His holiness used the Almighty
To put the discussion to bed

For 50 pages we dragged and we pulled
And just one thing became clear to all.
That despite all the biting and gouging
Not one budged over the wall.

Despite the slabbers and blabbers,
Name-calling and general points-scored,
Sure where would we be without it
Our unique and beloved gaaboard.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DUBSFORSAM1

Guess I amn't such a GPA supporter after all if I don't get included.... :'(

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Maximus Marillius

O'Neill...your wasting your time on the board with a mind like that...I'll introduce to Mr Heaney...Seamus that is ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 12, 2007, 12:57:45 PM
Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 12:30:55 PM

Jaysus, have you no google?

looking for it now, in the mean time

http://www.dcu.ie/alumni/spring04/p30.html
tried looking for it quite a few times, but can't find anything really on it (bar the headline figure).  Must go work now, but there doesn't seem to be much extra in that link you've provided.  Aside from the report, which to my mind must have quite a few assumptions, you can start by detailing what expenses are unrecompensed - I am not against the grants at all, but I just don't believe either the report (which I presume refers to possible earnings and opportunities missed out on) or that any player is actually out of pocket due to playing gaa at intercounty level.
you beat me to it Boggy

DMarsden - I also think this is all top level players - club and intercounty - that this refers to , if not, I dont see how there could be any differential.

I would love to see how people figure out how an intercounty player is worse off than a club player.
In actual fact due to intercounty players getting gear etc, I beleive and have done for quite some time, that the club players are actually financially worse off. So this whole gpa whinge is based on a lie.