Railway Cup 2014

Started by BennyCake, February 06, 2014, 08:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Plenty of Connacht players have opted out by the sounds of it & meeting up for the first time this weekend.

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/breen-outlines-connacht-challenges/

Selector Brian Breen talks about some of the challenges they face in trying to assemble a squad for next Sunday in Tuam.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: haranguerer on February 14, 2014, 03:36:44 PM
Grimley didnt let the Armagh lads that were selected join the panel.
Proper order. Big Joe wouldn't release the Cross lads for Armagh duties when he was Cross manager.  What goes around comes around

Itchy

Grimley isn't up to much is he. If his players want to play he should let them.

muppet

Quote from: stibhan on February 14, 2014, 03:13:33 PM
Has anyone ever won a Railway Cup with two different provinces?

T'was all a bit of a blur....but........I was once told by a drunk pub quiz expert that the answer to any Railway Cup question is always either Christy Ring or Martin Carney.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Quote from: Itchy on February 14, 2014, 06:40:41 PM

Really? What if they want to booze or play soccer, should an inter county manager let his players do what they want?

stephenite

Quote from: Zulu on February 14, 2014, 10:04:27 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 14, 2014, 06:40:41 PM

Really? What if they want to booze or play soccer, should an inter county manager let his players do what they want?

That's as big a stretch on what someone says as I've ever seen

ck

I can't believe some of the Sligo lads picked. Breheny and Kelly yes, the other two may not even make the Sligo team.

As for Grimley banning players from playing for Ulster. Yet another example of county managers ruling the GAA. If they aren't telling lads who to play for them they're organising fixtures and postponing club Cships.

Anyone know bookie odds for Railway cup? Nothing on PaddyPower

Zulu

Not really, Itchy seems to be suggesting that an inter county manager who doesn't want his players playing a non event game is 'not up to much'. I would feel that an inter county manager, in the middle of the national league, is as entitled to decide if his players play in a non inter county challenge match as he would be to ask them to not play soccer for their local club or stay off the beer. Would you not agree?

Zulu

QuoteAs for Grimley banning players from playing for Ulster. Yet another example of county managers ruling the GAA. If they aren't telling lads who to play for them they're organising fixtures and postponing club Cships.

Nonsense, if I was an inter county manager I wouldn't let my players near this kick around. How would you feel if Kelly and Breheny came back from this game with injuries that rule them out of the season? Would you tell me that 'them's the breaks'?

Syferus

Barney Breen said in the interview on Shannonside that the Connacht team can't even meet up before the match, let alone train. They'll just come together on the day.

Says it all about what the Railway Cup now is.

Itchy

There are 2 parts to my post. Point 1 is grimley isn't up to much as quite frankly he talks the biggest load of bull ive ever heard and his tactical performance last yr against Cavan was just incredible. Point 2 is that this is another example of his stupidity, denying his players the chance to represent their province. Hardly going to build morale. But I'm delighted to see it as the longer he last with armagh the better chance Cavan have to beat them. If I were an Armagh man I'd not be too happy with him.

Zulu

QuotePoint 2 is that this is another example of his stupidity, denying his players the chance to represent their province. Hardly going to build morale.

He may or may not be a great manager but I fail to see the link between morale and playing in a kick about against a fourth choice Connacht team that has had less preparation than your average junior C club team. Whatever about his other decisions Grimley is bang on here.

Itchy

We'll have to agree to disagree. Most county players love to play in the inter pros. Do you think Grimley is forbidding them because he thinks it's a kick around (did he ban them last year too?) or is this a bit of small minded pay back?

Zulu

QuoteMost county players love to play in the inter pros

I'm not sure that's true at all, plenty of them seem to be able to take or leave it.

QuoteDo you think Grimley is forbidding them because he thinks it's a kick around (did he ban them last year too?) or is this a bit of small minded pay back?

I don't know to be honest but I do believe it is his choice and I don't think any of his players will be too upset about not playing. I certainly don't think his decision reflects either positively or negatively on him as an inter county manager.

ck

Any county manager who denies his players playing for their province just smacks of utter desperation and would appear to be living in fear rather than confidence. Grimley has been a disaster for Armagh, he's not up to the job and this is yet another example as to why. Incompetence should not excused. Regardless of the stature of this competition it remains on the GAA calendar and players love it. Grimley is wrong (yet again) and try's to disguise his incompetence with autocratic hitlar style management.