Best Footballer in Ireland..

Started by 5 Sams, November 08, 2008, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: J70 on November 09, 2008, 06:51:47 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 08, 2008, 03:18:39 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 08, 2008, 02:39:04 AM
..right lads gimme your views.

Cavanagh is probably the most high profile ...and is one of the best exponents of the game today ...BUT...is he better than Tomas...Mattie...Canty..Benny..Clucko...what constitutes the best player in the land??

Take a moment in time this year and ask yourself...fcuk me me that's the best player in the country................

Just wonderin like???

Who the f**k is "Clucko"?  ???

Anyone?

Sorry lads what I was trying to say through the haze of a bottle and a half of vino tinto on Friday night was...Sean is player of the year...deservedly so....but is there guys better than him in their own positions that's why I mentioned Cluxton and Tomas......in an awkward kind of way I'm trying to figure out who is the best exponent of our game right now...mebbe Darragh, mebbe Sean, mebbe even Dooher....
The Aristocrat Years

The Voice Of Reason

I've had to go with Colm Cooper ... vision-wise he's operating on a different plane to every other footballer in the country in my opinion (he's the only footballer I've watched who has picked out passes that people high up in the stands of Croke Park couldn't even see)

Doire abú

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on November 09, 2008, 09:31:18 PM
I've had to go with Colm Cooper ... vision-wise he's operating on a different plane to every other footballer in the country in my opinion (he's the only footballer I've watched who has picked out passes that people high up in the stands of Croke Park couldn't even see)

You've gotta see Enda Muldoon in action!!

mylestheslasher

It would be the Gooch for me. Cavanagh is class but a large part of his game is due to his unbelievable athleticism while gooch is just a pure class footballer. Benny Coulter? Are ye serious, a very good player but has gone missing in loads of games that I've seen.

Tim Buzaglo

Sean Cavanagh for me - Quite simply more effective than anyone else in the game!

Honourable mention to the Gooch and a biassed shout for Fergal Doherty from a Derry point of view
Will we ever see another one?

supersarsfields

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on November 09, 2008, 09:31:18 PM

I'd have to rate Brian McGuigan up there with the passing. Ciaran McDonald used to pick out some exceptional passes aswell.

But I'd agree with TYP. Is it Who's the best now? If so I'd prob go for Cavanagh. If not, then that's a whole different kettle of fish!!

Fuzzman

As it's a team sport lads different players have different strengths and weaknesses

Usually its the forwards that get all the praise for their skill and score taking which wins matches.

I think Gooch is awesome and thought he was gonna finally get the stage to torment Tyrone this year as he roasted Gormley in the 1st 10 mins
He was then starved of good possession and our defense tighten up on him with him roaming further out the pitch.

For such a scrawny looking wee guy he can he win his own high ball and his passing, vision and shooting is something else.
Interesting though that both Sean and Gooch scored 2.19 this year though 11 were frees for Gooch and only 4 for Sean. (As per the ulster website)

Trying hard not to wear my Red tinted glassed but I think Sean is more of an influence on a game and is much more adaptable to play in lots of possesions.
He probably doesn't have Gooch's silky skills or vision but his score rate is awesome and he makes most of his own scores either charging through from Midfield carrying the ball or playing at FF

I wonder what is the goal ratio of the two guys.

I hope Colm Cavanagh can get his act together next year and stay injury free

lynchbhoy

he will be a huge loss to the game of Gaelic football and Kerry,
but in spite of only playing senior football for one year, I thought Tommy walsh was the outstanding player in the country.
Unmarkable at times and when he wasnt doing that much, it was down to poor posession/passing from the Kerry outfielders into him.

Got taken off in the AIF when imo he was clearly the better option and most likely to do damage to tyrone - so I was delighted to see him being substituted , and mentioned to my colleague that I thought Pat O'Shea had made a huge mistake thankfully.
He was looking more lively than the over rated donaghy, and this year outshone his higher profile colleagues Donaghy and Cooper in the Kerry full forward line.

People prob wont think of Walsh as Gaelic footballs best player and there have been some great names mentioned here- Canty, cavanagh, O'se etc... but I dont think Tommy is a one season wonder, he will be Kerrys main man at midfield or in attack for many a year to come- if he doesnt get snapped up by the aussies.
Sure he powered his club side to a closer game v club supremos Nemo than the scoreline suggested.
If he goes to oz, we will miss out on the best of what could be the new improved version of tohill/o'se

for a 20 year old in his firs season, he was frighteningly good, no actually the word I would use is magnificent.

all imo of course

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2008, 05:32:40 PM

for a 20 year old in his firs season, he was frighteningly good, no actually the word I would use is magnificent.

Absolutely, he is a joy to watch
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Fuzzman

I think Walsh had a good 1st year and will improve should he decide to stick with GAA but I think ye are both going a bit OTT (IMHO) to say that he was better than Gooch
He's a big strong lad but hasn't got the finesse of Gooch and tends to fade in and out of games

I thought he was well held in the final and in some of the Cork games.
In the final would Gooch or big Sean have hit that shot straight at the keeper. I think NOT

SidelineKick

Fergal Doc really doesnt get the recognition he deserves.  Shame he hasn't a championship medal of some sort with Derry to show for his efforts.  Captain this year????

In previous years I would have thought Cavanagh slightly yella but this year and especially after the Aussie game he was one of the few who stood up to them in terms of putting in the big hits, so my opinion has changed.  Best player in the country at the min.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tyrone Dreamer

What did Tommy Walsh score this year in the championship? He spent a good bit of time at corner forward but dont think he scored that much. An excellent prospect but wouldnt have him any where near best player in Ireland at this stage. Thought he looked decent for Kerry in the u21 final but even at that level wouldnt have said he was brilliant. Thought he was quiet enough v Nemo on Sunday too. He does look impressive at times when running with the ball but at this stage drifts in and out of games to much. Id say in a few years he will be hard to stop though.

Puckoon

Was Oisin McConville ever the best footballer of any generation?

ONeill

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on November 14, 2008, 06:23:00 PM
What did Tommy Walsh score this year in the championship? He spent a good bit of time at corner forward but dont think he scored that much. An excellent prospect but wouldnt have him any where near best player in Ireland at this stage. Thought he looked decent for Kerry in the u21 final but even at that level wouldnt have said he was brilliant. Thought he was quiet enough v Nemo on Sunday too. He does look impressive at times when running with the ball but at this stage drifts in and out of games to much. Id say in a few years he will be hard to stop though.

Agree totally. Watched a right bit of Tommy and although he had a very good first year, he was nowhere near the top 6 forwards  in the country this year. Some people got caught up in the hype, especially surrounding his goal v Cork.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ball Hopper

Tommy scored 1-11 in the 7 games he appeared in, which is third highest on the Kerry squad for the 2008 championship (behind Gooch and Sheehan).  He started 6 games and was taken off in all 6.  He did not start the Munster Final...but came on as a sub.