Euro 2024

Started by statto, Today at 08:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Always good to have a tournament on in the summer for a few weeks.England pre tournament favourites but think they have issues at centre half and left back which will winder their progress.Germans on home soil and France should be difficult to beat.

lurganblue

Quote from: statto on Today at 08:02:05 AMAlways good to have a tournament on in the summer for a few weeks.England pre tournament favourites but think they have issues at centre half and left back which will winder their progress.Germans on home soil and France should be difficult to beat.

I looked at that England squad annouced yesterday and I just thought, I dont see the favourites tag here.  Yes they have some very talented players in the likes of Kane, Foden, Bellingham and even Rice but we all know that they will be set up poorly for a start.  Foden has been Pl player of the year playing in the 10. Bellingham has been playing 10 too. What does Southgate do there... foden to the wing or Bellingham back to being an 8.

Their defence looks poor and will struggle against good attacking units. France would surely be ahead of them.

Very interested to see how Germany go.

RedHand88

Has Foden not been playing on the left wing? De Bruyne is their 10.

lurganblue

Quote from: RedHand88 on Today at 08:54:32 AMHas Foden not been playing on the left wing? De Bruyne is their 10.

Not when kdb was out for long periods.

SouthOfThe Bann

Portugal are another side with an incredible squad.

Whether Martinez can get the best out of them is another question.

And is Ronaldo a hindrance?

thewobbler

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 08:44:32 AM
Quote from: statto on Today at 08:02:05 AMAlways good to have a tournament on in the summer for a few weeks.England pre tournament favourites but think they have issues at centre half and left back which will winder their progress.Germans on home soil and France should be difficult to beat.

I looked at that England squad annouced yesterday and I just thought, I dont see the favourites tag here.  Yes they have some very talented players in the likes of Kane, Foden, Bellingham and even Rice but we all know that they will be set up poorly for a start.  Foden has been Pl player of the year playing in the 10. Bellingham has been playing 10 too. What does Southgate do there... foden to the wing or Bellingham back to being an 8.

Their defence looks poor and will struggle against good attacking units. France would surely be ahead of them.

The worrying thing is that Southgate grew a set of balls and moved out Rashford and Henderson.

If he continues with picking form players for the tournament (ie not Maguire), and emphasises wingers getting the ball into Kane, then England could be so dangerous.

Walter Cronc

Havertz 33/1 top scorer  8)

Taylor

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 08:44:32 AM

They wont be far away with that squad.

I dont rate Southgate either but he did get them to a recent final only beat on pens

statto

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on Today at 09:37:40 AMPortugal are another side with an incredible squad.

Whether Martinez can get the best out of them is another question.

And is Ronaldo a hindrance?

Goalkeepers: Diogo Costa (Porto), Jose Sa (Wolves), Rui Patricio (AS Roma)

Defenders: Antonio Silva (Benfica), Danilo Pereira (Paris St Germain), Diogo Dalot (Manchester United), Goncalo Inacio (Sporting), Joao Cancelo (Barcelona), Nelson Semedo (Wolves), Nuno Mendes (PSG), Pepe (Porto), Ruben Dias (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), Joao Neves (Benfica), Joao Palhinha (Fulham), Otavio Monteiro (Al Nassr), Ruben Neves (Al-Hilal), Vitinha (PSG)

Forwards: Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Al Nassr), Diogo Jota (Liverpool), Francisco Conceicao (Porto), Goncalo Ramos (PSG), Joao Felix (Barcelona), Pedro Neto (Wolves), Rafael Leao (AC Milan).

Decent alright. 

johnnycool

Belgium should be there or there abouts as well given the players they have, but seem to fill the togs at tournaments...

Surely there's a left sided Fullback in England rather than pinning all their hopes on a perennially injured Luke Shaw

Both Branthwaite and Quansa (Liverpool) invited to the extended panel, maybe to put pressure on Maguire, but one of the two need to go as I think Stones is first choice, it's just a matter of who he's paired with, but Southgate has traditionally stuck with the tried and tested Maguire no matter how shíte he's been with Utd.

statto

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 11:39:43 AMBelgium should be there or there abouts as well given the players they have, but seem to fill the togs at tournaments...

Surely there's a left sided Fullback in England rather than pinning all their hopes on a perennially injured Luke Shaw
I was surprised Mitchell from palace wasn't in the 33.  Gomez and Trippier don't give great balance if Shaw is injured or not really up to speed fitness wise. 

Both Branthwaite and Quansa (Liverpool) invited to the extended panel, maybe to put pressure on Maguire, but one of the two need to go as I think Stones is first choice, it's just a matter of who he's paired with, but Southgate has traditionally stuck with the tried and tested Maguire no matter how shíte he's been with Utd.

nrico2006

Southgate said he dropped Rashford and others as he picked players on form. He has selected Luke Shaw and Ivan Toney, hardly players in form. Solanke has got nearly 5 times the number of league goals that Toney has.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

If Toney goes, he goes for pens only.

bennydorano

Was reading Southgate sees Luke Shaw as a long shot to make tournament, probably cut when the final panel is announced.