Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I like off the ball but they seem to be very player centred.
As in the rights of the individual trump everything else.
Maybe that's a shrewd move on their behalf given that they'll be looking for an interview off Seanie when the dust settles on this.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orangemac

Seanie better hury up, transfer window closes in 1 hour.

Onlooker

Could Kildare be in danger of bringing us back to the bad old days of the GAA when objections were quite common after matches.   If Kildare were to win a Championship match with Seanie Johnston in their team, could the defeated team lodge an objection on the grounds that Kildare fielded an illegal player.  I doubt if it would happen, but they are taking a chance if they play him.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on January 31, 2012, 09:42:47 PM
I thought it was weird the way one of them said after the call, "They'll just prove he lives in Straffan and that'll be that".
As if this was just some petty effort to delay the whole thing by the Cavan county board.
HE DOESN'T LIVE IN STRAFFAN!

I heard he's living in Bill Clinton's place in the K Club...
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hill16 Blues

Would love to be at GAA meet where the bould seanie comes in to try anf convince the lads that he's living in Kildare - has the makings of pure commedy!  ;D

haranguerer

Quote from: Onlooker on January 31, 2012, 10:13:43 PM
Could Kildare be in danger of bringing us back to the bad old days of the GAA when objections were quite common after matches.   If Kildare were to win a Championship match with Seanie Johnston in their team, could the defeated team lodge an objection on the grounds that Kildare fielded an illegal player.  I doubt if it would happen, but they are taking a chance if they play him.

So it would be the defeated team who would be 'bringing us back to the bad old days'..... ???

cornafean

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 31, 2012, 09:46:44 PM
Going on about the training ban last year was a bit like the child who didn't get their way so they picked on something else they thought they could win. Suprised they didn't ask him about the time the players kicked out Liam Austin!

Next week, OTB grill Declan on Cavan's culpability in the Jamesy Kernan incident.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Hardy

Seanie Johnston walks into a bar, sits down and starts crying.

The barman asks, "What's wrong?"

Seanie looks at the barman through teary eyes and between sobs says, "I live with this cracker of a woman. She's a marvellous cook, a brilliant housekeeper, attends to all my wants and needs. Most of all, she's dynamite in the sack."

The barman stares at Seanie. "So what are you crying about?"

Seanie sobs, "I can't remember where I live!"

stephenite

Quote from: heffo on January 31, 2012, 09:48:15 AM
Quote from: shezam on January 31, 2012, 09:47:16 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 31, 2012, 09:43:42 AM
Quote from: shezam on January 31, 2012, 08:47:12 AM
The Cavan County Board has issued the following statement:
"Re: Inter-county Transfer Request
"During the January meeting of Cavan county board's management committee, the issue of an inter-county transfer request was discussed. The committee have decided that they will be unable to assist this particular process as they believe there is a doubt about compliance with rial 6.9 T.O. 2011."

Well done to Cavan County Board. At least someone is looking out for the ethos of the GAA. Hopefully Cavan Gaels will do the right thing and say the same.

The Breffni County have cited Rule 6.9 of the GAA's official guide which relates to the 'permanent residence' of the player seeking the transfer, with Cavan questioning whether Johnston is in fact living in Kildare.

Get away, you mean they don't believe he upped sticks for no apparent reason and commutes to Cavan town each day?

Is it just me or have standards slipped? Used to be the poor unfortunate Nordies cried foul over double standards?

It's obviously free slather so I 'm happy to confirm that Heffo is the journalist Martin Breheny.

Man Marker

Quote from: Hardy on February 01, 2012, 11:11:19 AM
Seanie Johnston walks into a bar, sits down and starts crying.

The barman asks, "What's wrong?"

Seanie looks at the barman through teary eyes and between sobs says, "I live with this cracker of a woman. She's a marvellous cook, a brilliant housekeeper, attends to all my wants and needs. Most of all, she's dynamite in the sack."

The barman stares at Seanie. "So what are you crying about?"

Seanie sobs, "I can't remember where I live!"

lol :D :D

liihb

I like Off the Ball, but I think McDevitt was way off the mark yesterday, especially around the training ban and then payment to managers. What would have been a much more pertinent question was the Rory Gallagher scenario with Cavan.

In fairness, I think Cavan have every right to query when one of their best players is on the way out, and I think the PRO handled it quite well.

McDevitt seems to be very deferential to certain individuals(any of the regular pundits from any sport), and then in an instance like last night tries to be the hard hitting reporter asking the difficult questions, but it doesn't work that well for him
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Give and Go

Thats a Newstalk trait I'm afraid.
Full of pomposity and their own self importance.
They love to be 'one of the lads' and parading their 'inside knowledge' of the dressing room.

Anyone who has Parkinson and Brady as regular contributors can't be taken too seriously.

Yer man on the lunchtime show is another clown.

HOPE YE ARE READING THIS!!!!!!!!!! Put it on air tonight!!

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteKildare County Board president Seamus Aldridge has criticised the handling of Seanie Johnston's stalled transfer to the county.

The former Leinster chairman believes manager Kieran McGeeney was wrong to speak about the switch before it had been formalised.

He also questioned what the transfer, if successful, will mean to Kildare's up-and-coming footballers.

Aldridge's comments come as Cavan's management committee refused to support Johnstown's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's, Staplestown.

They have raised doubts about the legitimacy of Johnston's claim that he is permanently living in Kildare, as is necessary for the switch to be granted.

Kildare chiefs are now likely to be asked by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to prove Johnston is residing in the county on a full-time basis.

Aldridge has no problem with the 27-year-old moving to Kildare providing everything is above board.

However, he believes McGeeney shouldn't have commented on Johnston making the transfer.

"If he's legal to come then he can come but if he's not, he shouldn't," said Aldridge. "I felt it was inappropriate for the team management to say anything on the subject before it has been made official."

McGeeney has stated he would welcome Johnston with "open arms" but warned the player will have to work hard to force his way into the team.

But Aldridge feels the optics of the possibility of the forward coming into the Kildare panel are wrong.

"If someone comes in like that, then you have the problem of the message sent to young players.

"What sort of signal is it going to send to them? It doesn't seem to be fulfilling the requirements of the GAA."

Aldridge appreciates Kildare have a history of transfers but points out Kerry's Karl O'Dwyer, son of former manager Mick, was a teacher in Rathangan and Brian Murphy, a Cork native, managed a factory in Naas.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/johnston-transfer-row-escalates-182154.html#ixzz1l8QmQNQ7

I wouldn't have much grá for Seámus Aldridge but I agree with everything he says here. About time someone from within Kildare GAA articulated the views widely held by a large proportion of Kildare GAA members.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

aldridge was the spokesperson trying to stop a move to a meath club by a couple of players in the early 90's. So at least he isnt completely hypocritical here. Still would have expected him to come out with a stronger view against the move given his past opinions..

Jinxy

Quote from: liihb on February 01, 2012, 12:30:39 PM
I like Off the Ball, but I think McDevitt was way off the mark yesterday, especially around the training ban and then payment to managers. What would have been a much more pertinent question was the Rory Gallagher scenario with Cavan.

In fairness, I think Cavan have every right to query when one of their best players is on the way out, and I think the PRO handled it quite well.

McDevitt seems to be very deferential to certain individuals(any of the regular pundits from any sport), and then in an instance like last night tries to be the hard hitting reporter asking the difficult questions, but it doesn't work that well for him

Yeah the rugby guy (McNaughton) he had on before Woods is a classic example.
He was bemoaning the fact that the Irish government stopped him touring South Africa during apartheid.
It struck me as an interesting thing to say given that black protesters were regularly being murdered in the townships at the time.
McDevitt had the perfect opportunity to question him further on this yet didn't.
The GAA is an easy target these days to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.