Tablets

Started by lurganblue, July 16, 2011, 08:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Anyone tried the Kindle Fire yet? Her who nags me until she gets what she wants has asked for an I-pad but any decent tablet will do. One thing it must do is be able to connect to Skype (by video). If anyone has any recommendations for a suitable device your advice will be appreciated.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggy90 on October 28, 2012, 03:24:28 PM
Anyone tried the Kindle Fire yet? Her who nags me until she gets what she wants has asked for an I-pad but any decent tablet will do. One thing it must do is be able to connect to Skype (by video). If anyone has any recommendations for a suitable device your advice will be appreciated.
Google Nexus 7 will run the Skype app. Almost all review I have read put the Nexus ahead of the Kindle Fire. I think the Fire is tied into an Amazon app store which is behind the Apple app store and Google Play.

supersarsfields

The other half wants an Ipad for Christmas. But there's no way I'm forking out that dough for something that she is going to just use for browsing T'internet. Nexus 7 seems to be getting great reviews, anyone tried it? Currys had the 16GB on sale at £169 ( But can't book it on line and no available in any stores inNI at the minute!!  ::) )
Is the smaller screen a big issue when browsing?

liihb

Would Windows 8 tablets be any good? If Microsoft own Skype now then surely they should be most compatible?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

trueblue1234

Was looking for a Cheap tablet for her in doors to use for browsing the web. Was orginally looking at the Samsung Tablet, but came across this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C93-ZT-280-1GB-DDR3-8GB-Wi-Fi-10-2in-Android-4-1-capacitive-Samsung-Chipset-/290810428549?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43b5a6fc85

Not really that into my Tech so was wondering if anyone could advise if this is any use? Seems cheap compared to other 10' models. Dont need it to do anything too fancy, just browsing and maybe viewing TV programs and movies.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 12, 2012, 02:24:18 PM
Was looking for a Cheap tablet for her in doors to use for browsing the web. Was orginally looking at the Samsung Tablet, but came across this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C93-ZT-280-1GB-DDR3-8GB-Wi-Fi-10-2in-Android-4-1-capacitive-Samsung-Chipset-/290810428549?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43b5a6fc85

Not really that into my Tech so was wondering if anyone could advise if this is any use? Seems cheap compared to other 10' models. Dont need it to do anything too fancy, just browsing and maybe viewing TV programs and movies.

Looks like a fake, and will more than likely break.

If you are looking for a cheap tablet, why not a Blackberry playbook which is £120 at curry's or a scroll excel?

trueblue1234

The guy is based in derry so would actually go up so would be fit to check if it's a fake. He's getting really good feedback on his previous sales. been chatting him on email and he says it's the same spec as a Samsung galaxy only that it doesn't have a rear facing camera. He says it's quicker than the galaxy as it runs an overlay called whizz (Haven't a fecking clue what he's on about!!) and can run native android (Whatever that is???)
He gives a years warranty as well.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 12, 2012, 04:56:54 PM
The guy is based in derry so would actually go up so would be fit to check if it's a fake. He's getting really good feedback on his previous sales. been chatting him on email and he says it's the same spec as a Samsung galaxy only that it doesn't have a rear facing camera. He says it's quicker than the galaxy as it runs an overlay called whizz (Haven't a fecking clue what he's on about!!) and can run native android (Whatever that is???)

It sounds like he has made it to his own spec, but it probably hasn't gone through the rigorous testing. However, from a personal stance, I don't think I could part with the amount of cash he is asking for, especially as I could probably find a branded samsung android for a little extra. I can't fault the tablet, it's just the reliability of the product I would have a problem with.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 12, 2012, 02:24:18 PM

I bought a similar Android tablet last year on Ebay. It worked fine for a few months. Then it started crashing for seemingly no reason. Had to let the battery go dead before it would allow me reboot. I still have it and use it occasionally but in hindsight would have been better off spending a couple of hundred extra on an IPad or a Samsung Galaxy.

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 31, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
The other half wants an Ipad for Christmas. But there's no way I'm forking out that dough for something that she is going to just use for browsing T'internet. Nexus 7 seems to be getting great reviews, anyone tried it? Currys had the 16GB on sale at £169 ( But can't book it on line and no available in any stores inNI at the minute!!  ::) )
Is the smaller screen a big issue when browsing?

If you are considering the Nexus 7" you might want to think about the Kindle Fire also. Both working out about £100 cheaper than the 7" iPAD.
I think I read somewhere that Google and Amazon are selling them as loss leaders to try to make the money on App's (Amazon) or to get you browsing (Google).

nifan

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on November 12, 2012, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 12, 2012, 04:56:54 PM

It sounds like he has made it to his own spec, but it probably hasn't gone through the rigorous testing.

Its not his own spec - its a ztpad c93
http://www.zenithink.com/Eproducts_C93.php

Sketchy enough detail on specs - wouldnt go for it myself.

I have the nexus 7 - decent job, but for those who want a bigger screen (less portable which is why i went 7") the nexus 10 is released today and has great specs for the price.

ziggy90

Where is the cheapest place to by the Nexus 10?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 13, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
Where is the cheapest place to by the Nexus 10?

You won't get it for a while it seems, google have sold out.

I am looking into buying a new tablet, I want to stay as far away from Apple as possible, not a hater just don't like Apple. Has anyone used the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and what do they think of it? I think it would come in handy for uni next year.

tyronefan

Anyone tried the Microsoft Surface yet.

Orior

I've been trying to play videos (.MOV) on a Fujitsu Stylistic M532 Tablet which runs Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich apparently).

It tells me that I need to install flash, but i can't find flashplayer for Android.

Any ideas?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians