Previous topic - Next topic

Am I a GAA bigot?

Yes
16 (64%)
No
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

theticklemister

It gets up my tits that people who say they are big GAA followers would rather tune into a soccer game than watch a gaa match. They then go onto chat a way more about soccer. Like missing club things to go and watch a soccer game; be it training / fundraiser. Like come NFL now this Weekend have a gluttony of games on  TV and games to go to . However these peoe will not chat about the upcoming league and the big ties or read about them in the paper. Instead they will chat shite about the big premier league games. The same boys won't lift a paper to look at the match reports or query a university team to find out how many boys from their county compete for a respective uni.

Am I GAA bigot?

sligoman2

YES

Relax and let people live their lives however they want to.

Be thankful we can choose to watch what we want and say what we want.  Following gaa is a choice not an obligation.

By the way who are Arsenal playing this weekend. ;D ;D ;D ;D
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

BennyCake

I like soccer as much as the next man, but GAA always comes first.

RTE give me the shites with their constant news bulletins with coverage of the likes of Hull v Leicester, while GAA takes a very distant second place. Then they'd show feckin' Porto v Lyon live in the CL. Who gives a fcuk about that?! Makes me wonder why I pay their license fee. Oh, hang on..

Throw ball

Yes and fair play. I think I must be one myself!

It is not only soccer though. There are as many now who comment on the rugby because it makes them feel a better class of person! Give me the GAA any day. I remember turning down a free ticket for the first rugby match at Croke Park to watch Armagh play Louth in Crossmaglen. I think I am a GAA snob too!

BennyCake

Quote from: Throw ball on January 28, 2015, 12:23:31 AM
Yes and fair play. I think I must be one myself!

It is not only soccer though. There are as many now who comment on the rugby because it makes them feel a better class of person! Give me the GAA any day. I remember turning down a free ticket for the first rugby match at Croke Park to watch Armagh play Louth in Crossmaglen. I think I am a GAA snob too!

Quite right too. I'd prefer to watch paint dry than waste an afternoon watching thon excuse of a game.

Leave it to the toffs, I say.

Ohtoohtobe

You are, and I admire you for it. Keep it up.

Eamonnca1

It's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Itchy

I can never understand why RTE does be giving such high profile slots on sports news to Cricket. I don't know anyone who watches it, don't know any team that plays it and couldn't tell you where there is a cricket pitch in Ireland. I'd say women's darts is a more popular sport yet it never gets a mention. At least soccer is a popular sport as is rugby.

theticklemister

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on January 28, 2015, 02:37:11 AM
You are, and I admire you for it. Keep it up.

Nearly fell off my seat here. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2015, 12:21:30 AM
I like soccer as much as the next man, but GAA always comes first.

RTE give me the shites with their constant news bulletins with coverage of the likes of Hull v Leicester, while GAA takes a very distant second place. Then they'd show feckin' Porto v Lyon live in the CL. Who gives a fcuk about that?! Makes me wonder why I pay their license fee. Oh, hang on..
Me too.
I can tune in and out of soccer but the GAA is far more compelling.

Bingo

I try to let every man live his own life as he sees fit and not worry too much about what he says/does/watches or how he lives unless it affects me.

What sport he says he watches or "loves" is way down on my list of "stuff to get remotely annoyed about".

DennistheMenace

Should proabably be in grind my gears but I hate those GAA Memes 'showing' how hard GAA men are compared to the 'diving' footballers. Complete inferiority complex in most cases. Why isn't it ok to like both?

BennyHarp

I'd be a forward thinking sort of guy. So, why don't we try and put forward some sort of motion to congress to put in place a rule whereby members of the GAA can't play or watch other sports? Especially soccer??
That was never a square ball!!

The Raven

Bring back the Ban, in fact bring back all the bans

PAULD123

Quote from: Itchy on January 28, 2015, 07:50:52 AM
I can never understand why RTE does be giving such high profile slots on sports news to Cricket. I don't know anyone who watches it, don't know any team that plays it and couldn't tell you where there is a cricket pitch in Ireland. I'd say women's darts is a more popular sport yet it never gets a mention. At least soccer is a popular sport as is rugby.

I love GAA, really love it. But also am a big fan of rugby and it is a terrific sport. Soccer is okay but in all honesty most games are pretty dull. Yeah Chelsea v United is fine but seriously try watching Bolton v Blackburn, Fulham v Charlton, Reading v Huddersfield. These guys get paid thousands every week and trust me it is pretty turgid stuff. By the way I actually attended (not TV) all those games.

However the comments above are a perfect example of snobbishness. The Irish Cricket ground is in Malahide, I watch it, I really like cricket, Ireland play it and we are pretty good being the best nation that isn't assigned test status so we are at least the tenth best team in the world having beaten England, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Don't be  sports snob. For me it isn't even a contest that I would rather watch Down on a muddy field on an Sunday in preference to any other sport but that doesn't mean i can't watch and enjoy other sports too, that doesn't mean that other sports aren't also good to watch!