Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

I agree, I said this earlier on the thread surely it would be advisable for the new manager to be having a look at players at this stage
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

maddog

Heard the other night that McDonnell has the job. Anyone else heard anything?

Passing_Interest

To clear up a bit of confusion on this thread about Houlie's Harps ancestry.......The Houlahan name has always been synonymous with Armagh Harps. Indeed Houlie's Grand - Uncles Joe and Pat were instrumental in reforming the Harps from the ashes of the Young Ireland Club. Houlie's father Joe made the switch to the Ogs in the 50s as a result of not being able to break into the great Harps team of that era.......and so, unfortunately, the Harps lost out on the talents of Gerard and Paul, and indeed some other members of the extended Houlahan clan.  However other sides of the family stayed loyal to the Harps.
Nothing but the same old story.........

full back

Kevin Brady has announced that there are 3 interested candidates in the post & the county board will make a decision ;) in the next week or so

Kentucky Blue

Heard it will be Grimley with possibly McGeeney as assistant

But hard to imagine Geezer going to the trainings and not joining in himself!
especially if the thing was not being done right!

Imposerous

I should know better than to trust the Hogan Stand Armagh comments page, but someone has posted that, according to a radio report, Packie McConville has been announced as the new Armagh manager.  Any truth to this?

Candyman

McConville would be the last choice of the 3 I would have thought???
Grimley seems a cert for it now that he's given up the Cavan job etc....

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

ExiledGael

McDonnell is new Armagh manager

Peter McDonnell has been appointed as Armagh's new county football manager.
On Wednesday night, the Armagh county board opted for McDonnell ahead of former county assistant Paul Grimley and Michael McConville.
McDonnell guided Mullaghbawn to the Ulster Club title in 1995 and also achieved another provincial success with Errigal Ciaran five years later.
He then had stints with Burren and Armagh Harps before guiding Armagh U21s to this year's Ulster title.
McDonnell has a big act to follow after Joe Kernan's historic successes with the county over the past six years.
Kernan guided Armagh to their historic All-Ireland triumph in 2002 as well as four provincial titles - including a three-in-a-row from 2004 to 2006.
Grimley was part of the Armagh backroom team for all those successes before he left Joe Kernan's backroom team 13 months ago.
Last month, Grimley resigned as assistant manager of Cavan in order to concentrate on his attempt to secure the Armagh post and he is likely to be hugely disappointed at being overlooked for the role.
There has been speculation that a number of prominent Armagh players were keen that Grimley would get the job.
McDonnell will inherit a talented squad but his first task may be to ascertain whether several experienced players wish to prolong their intercounty careers.
These include the likes of Kieran McGeeney, Oisin McConville and Paul McGrane.
Grimley, who was assistant to Kernan before resigning in 2006, was one of four men interviewed for the job by the Armagh county board.
Mullaghbawn man McDonnell guided Armagh Under-21s to this year's Ulster title.
John Rafferty and Michael McConville were the other interviewees but Rafferty is understood to have withdrawn his candidacy.

fcuksake

McDonnell got the post alright. :o :o :o

I thought Grimbley was a cert.. :(

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

fcuksake

downtown

thats a joke, grimley is the only man 4 the job! cant believe that!

Erwin Rommel

The word around Armagh City at the end of last week was that McDonnell had the job, and was already in the process of sounding out men for his back room team.

The delay in the announcement has been put down to nervousness amongst the powers that be - they were firmly behind the choice of McDonnell but were totally aware of the players' loyalty to Big Paul - and there were fears amongst them as to what the reaction of the players might be if Big Paul was not announced - that one of course isstill for the future!

Peter McDonnell has an excellent track record, one which would probably surpass that of Big Paul as a manager - yet I am very disappointed that Big Paul has not got the nod - he would have been an excellent manager.

twotwocharlie

McDonnell will do a sound job for armagh . all armagh people should get behind him and move on.