Are we entering a vintage era for football?

Started by thewobbler, August 05, 2012, 05:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderfox

I have nothing but admiration for Donegal after witnessing the hammering they took in Crossmaglen two short years ago. The turnaround which they have achieved under Jim McGuinness is nothing short of miraculous.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thewobbler

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2012, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2012, 05:58:25 PM
This might seem a bit of a strange statement given the modern focus on stopping the opposition.

But having watched the four quarter-finals this weekend, i'd say we've now got in front of us four of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware sides in the history of the game together at once.
They're also each got a handful of cracking technical footballers who would have graced any team in history.

In my time watching football we've had umpteen great rivalries, and a few very competitive three-ways, but I can't remember four quality sides at once. The fact that there's a gap to Kerry tells you all you need to know, while the rest of Ireland (even Tyrone) have been pushed miles behind.

Yesterday I never wanted to watch football again. Now I can't wait for the semis.

Master of hypebole!!!  Dublin are a one trick pony and when Brogan struggles, Dublin struggle.  Mayo are a good team but do they hae the mental strength to get over the line or will they fail like many other Mayo teams?  Donegal are a strong physically fit unit who all buy into the 'system' but Kerry were very poor today and had no real leadership.  Cork are potentially one of the great teams but might they end up like the great Armagh 1 in a row team?  Hardly Vintage era stuff ::)

The one thing about the 4 semi finalists, they are all cynical and negative when needed, Mayo being the least worst of them, if that makes sense.  The game has steadily movd away from the basics of how to play the game towards systems and strength.  If anything it is the antithesis of a vintage era.

Pure hyperbole - except I phrased it 'are we entering?' rather than we are in.

I'd agree that Dublin are the weaker side in this equation. But then again they've won 752 of the last 753 Leinster titles, so mut be a better than average side. And while they lack flair, if they were to play an All Star select every week, you know they'd still be in the mix in the last 5 minutes - their fitness, athleticism and commitment makes up for other shortfalls.

Mayo are the new kids in all this for me. But what I saw yesterday was a team that bossed Down in every aspect of football; any team that has done this in the past decade has gone on to pick up silverware. I couldn't believe how discreetly cynical they were - it was almost Kerry-esque.

Time will tell, but I think we're in for a cracking few years of these four bating' the sh1te out of each other at Croke.

rrhf

Give me Donegal v Kerry any day of the week, fabulous sport.

BennyHarp

Are Mayo really one of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware teams in the history of football? That actually made me laugh!
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Are our players' physiques aligned to AFL now more than ever?

But then you've wee McHugh buzzing about I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 05, 2012, 11:34:45 PM
Are Mayo really one of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware teams in the history of football? That actually made me laugh!

And why did that make you laugh? Go on tell us? Share the Joke.  :P

thewobbler

Time will tell Benny. While not trying to deny Down's weaknesses, Mayo just made Down look like children yesterday. Probably of more importance is that last year they stood up to Cork and won. The current Cork team is the most athletic I've ever seen in football. Only a very athletic team could have done that.

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2012, 11:59:56 PM

We must have different senses of humour - but I find exaggeration on this scale quite funny. This is a decent Mayo team who struggled to beat Sligo and beat a very poor Down team. Their arse fell out in the all Ireland semi final again last year when Kerry thumped them by 9 points - hardly the best display of tactical awareness. If this Mayo team go on to actually win something I may change my mind but if someone said to you in a pub tonight that Mayo were one of the most disciplined and tactically aware teams IN HISTORY - would you not laugh at them. No? Ok - maybe it's just me.  :P
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2012, 12:47:28 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2012, 11:59:56 PM

We must have different senses of humour - but I find exaggeration on this scale quite funny. This is a decent Mayo team who struggled to beat Sligo and beat a very poor Down team. Their arse fell out in the all Ireland semi final again last year when Kerry thumped them by 9 points - hardly the best display of tactical awareness. If this Mayo team go on to actually win something I may change my mind but if someone said to you in a pub tonight that Mayo were one of the most disciplined and tactically aware teams IN HISTORY - would you not laugh at them. No? Ok - maybe it's just me.  :P

Fair enough! Being honest i missed the IN HISTORY bit, The first time around. They are definitely not that. But you must admit they are a bit cuter than Mayo teams of old. Peace

bcarrier

This might seem a bit of a strange statement given the modern focus on stopping the opposition.

But having watched the four quarter-finals this weekend, i'd say we've now got in front of us four of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware sides in the history of the game together at once.

They're also each got a handful of cracking technical footballers who would have graced any team in history.

In my time watching football we've had umpteen great rivalries, and a few very competitive three-ways, but I can't remember four quality sides at once. The fact that there's a gap to Kerry tells you all you need to know, while the rest of Ireland (even Tyrone) have been pushed miles behind.

Yesterday I never wanted to watch football again. Now I can't wait for the semis.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I found this weekends games poor viewing.

The closeness in the last few minutes of the Donegal-Kerry game made it briefly interesting but I saw no great sporting spectacle.   

Might be an Olympic effect but it all seemed petty and irrelevant with more gamesmanship than sportsmanship.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2012, 11:28:27 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 05, 2012, 06:28:55 PM

Master of hypebole!!!  Dublin are a one trick pony and when Brogan struggles, Dublin struggle.  Mayo are a good team but do they hae the mental strength to get over the line or will they fail like many other Mayo teams?  Donegal are a strong physically fit unit who all buy into the 'system' but Kerry were very poor today and had no real leadership.  Cork are potentially one of the great teams but might they end up like the great Armagh 1 in a row team?  Hardly Vintage era stuff ::)

The one thing about the 4 semi finalists, they are all cynical and negative when needed, Mayo being the least worst of them, if that makes sense.  The game has steadily movd away from the basics of how to play the game towards systems and strength.  If anything it is the antithesis of a vintage era.

Pure hyperbole - except I phrased it 'are we entering?' rather than we are in.

I'd agree that Dublin are the weaker side in this equation. But then again they've won 752 of the last 753 Leinster titles, so mut be a better than average side. And while they lack flair, if they were to play an All Star select every week, you know they'd still be in the mix in the last 5 minutes - their fitness, athleticism and commitment makes up for other shortfalls.

Mayo are the new kids in all this for me. But what I saw yesterday was a team that bossed Down in every aspect of football; any team that has done this in the past decade has gone on to pick up silverware. I couldn't believe how discreetly cynical they were - it was almost Kerry-esque.

Time will tell, but I think we're in for a cracking few years of these four bating' the sh1te out of each other at Croke.

It is hyperbole to say we have "four of the most athletic, disciplined and tactically aware sides in the history of the game together at once".  I firmly believe that the Donegal team of 1992 was far beyond the current bumch in terms of pure ability but also in terms of physique.  Maybe they are not gym monkey bar bell eating monsters but the half back line alone of Reid, Gavigan and Shovlin were much more physically imposing and I would contend just as fit as the current line, the midfield was much stronger, the HF line of the 2 McHughs and Manus Boyle were far smarter than the current incumbents and they worked just as hard and as for the FF line, Murphy is a poors Tony Boyle.  He may be as good as him in time but Boyle was one of the best FF of the last 30 odd years.  I also would rate Declan Bonner ahead of McFadden.  Up to this year and to a lesser extent last year McFadden was very much a sunshine footballer.  He is playing well now but I still believe that he is there for the taking. 

The current Mayo team is good but I would still rate the team of the early to mid 90's a stronger unit.  They were within a bounce of a ball and a row from beating a very good Meath team which had a great mix of the old and new Meath.  They were mentally weak as a result but they were a better group of footballers and under the Tanned one were very fit. 

Like I said about Dublin they are a one trick pony and very much a confidence team who will play very well in space but their exertions over the last 18 months are catching up with them. 

Cork are probably the closest thing potentially to a great team but they need to put at least 1 more Sam on the sideboard before they can be considered that. 

Wobbler I actually thought you could see beyond the media spin on things.  We have a change in our games which has moved away from the bases that the best of the game is founded on.  In my view we are moving in the complete opposite direction from a vintage era.

thewobbler

QuoteWobbler I actually thought you could see beyond the media spin on things.  We have a change in our games which has moved away from the bases that the best of the game is founded on.  In my view we are moving in the complete opposite direction from a vintage era.

Ah hold on.

I'll rephrase from here.

How about: Are we about to enter a vintage era in terms of football competitiveness?

Not: Are we about to enter a vintage era in terms of football quality?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2012, 10:19:51 AM
QuoteWobbler I actually thought you could see beyond the media spin on things.  We have a change in our games which has moved away from the bases that the best of the game is founded on.  In my view we are moving in the complete opposite direction from a vintage era.

Ah hold on.

I'll rephrase from here.

How about: Are we about to enter a vintage era in terms of football competitiveness?

Not: Are we about to enter a vintage era in terms of football quality?

Well then say what you mean!  As for an era of football competitiveness at the weekend 2 of the losing QF's lost by 12 and 13 points, I would hardly call that competitive!  Kerry should have been kicked out the gate but at the heel of the hunt Donegal relied on a lucky goal to really give them a cushion!  See it for what it is, its not a golden age!

thewobbler

BCB, what I've been getting at all along is that we might have a "big four" for a few years rather than a "big three" or a "big two".

Teams getting slapped in quarter finals has been a feature since day one. Being able to predict semi-final winners has normally been a formality.

There's no formality about this year's pairings. Any of the four could win the AI, not just because they're still in it, but because they have the raw materials.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2012, 10:29:54 AM
BCB, what I've been getting at all along is that we might have a "big four" for a few years rather than a "big three" or a "big two".

Teams getting slapped in quarter finals has been a feature since day one. Being able to predict semi-final winners has normally been a formality.

There's no formality about this year's pairings. Any of the four could win the AI, not just because they're still in it, but because they have the raw materials.

What the weekends games has shown me is that there is very little inspiring going on.  Mayo beat a very inept Down team who have no clue how to defend, Dublin struggled past a hard working but limited Laois team who had very little cutting edge up front, Donegal beat a Kerry team that had a serious case of premature ejeculation against Tyrone and blew their load a week early.  COrk to me put in the only real convincing display over the weekend, I don't see these teams making a 'big 4' as you describe it.