USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Actually thought Jordan was one of Tyrone's worst performers. Lost more ball than was healthy. Most players put in excellent performances. The forwards put Monaghan under unreal pressure when they tried to come out.

Monaghan were pathetic.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

David McKeown

I notice the round 4 qualifiers are next week.  Did I dream the rule existed or did they get rid of the rule to guarantee a beaten provincial finalist a one week break
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2010, 09:24:05 PM
Totally astonished by that performance today. Shadow-boxed for 20 mins and then destroyed them. As LB says, Tyrone have completely changed tact in terms of defensive strategy. Mickey seems to have convinced the FB line that they can cope with any opponent without hauling in reinforcements.

Tyrone won that by 10 points without a conventional FF line at all. Truely astonishing result.

Not sure I agree entirely with that point Joe played the same role last year in numerous games. 

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2010, 09:27:29 PM
The one thing that has been noticeable in the last 2 games for Tyrone is the incredible defensive effort from all players on the team, akin to 2003 again.  Mugsy is even out the field helping out frequently.  Ironic how well the defence has played as a unit given that after the league the big worry on my mind and most fans would have been the defence in light of the huge tallies being shipped during the NFL campaign.  It was good to see Colly Mc Cullagh on the pitch today, think he could have a big role to play this year yet and with SON returning the forward line will have a bit more potency about it.  Really strong bench when you see the like of Carlin, Harte, Brian McGuigan and Colly coming on today.  Still think Sean Cavanagh is wasted in the forward line, not as good receiving the ball with his back to goal. 

Would agree a bit more with this point as made by Nico, the entire team is defending with a lot of vigour.  The Tyrone defenders are almost making the opposition attackers defend against them at times.  Every Tyrone defender bombed forward today when the opportunity arose and could do so in the knowledge he had cover in the shape of the midfield and half forward lines.

up tyrone

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on July 18, 2010, 11:28:14 PM

Actually thought Jordan was one of Tyrone's worst performers. Lost more ball than was healthy. Most players put in excellent performances. The forwards put Monaghan under unreal pressure when they tried to come out.

Monaghan were pathetic.
R u sure watched the game at all are is that an anti moy comment i seem to remember you giving colm cavanagh plenty of grief earlier in the year as well.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: up tyrone on July 18, 2010, 11:48:48 PM

Monaghan were pathetic.
R u sure watched the game at all are is that an anti moy comment i seem to remember you giving colm cavanagh plenty of grief earlier in the year as well.

If you'd bothered to read my comments today you'd read how I had Colm up with Gormley and McCarron for MOTM so you're so far wrong it's not even funny. The world doesn't revolve around the Moy. The anti CC club had plenty of members, I was'nt one. Not often Colm puts in a better performance than Sean, today was for sure one. Philly came thought 4/5 times on the break and completely threw away the ball, you must not have seen the game I watched from the Hill.

He's pure fit and I rate him very highly - Jordan, but FFS grow up, he's not beyond a bit og criticism.
H. L. Mencken

tyroneboi

Thought that was Jordan had his best game of the championship so far. Those few times he lost it were more or less when the game was over in the last 7/8 mins.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 19, 2010, 12:02:48 AM
Thought that was Jordan had his best game of the championship so far. Those few times he lost it were more or less when the game was over in the last 7/8 mins.

Not true at all. Not often Davey Harte or Gormley outshines Philly, normally the fittest man on the field, but if you watch the game again in full you'll see him lose possession under no pressure on a number of occasions. Wish some Tyrone supporters would drop the clubs colours and call and spade a spade.
H. L. Mencken

tyroneboi

I'm not a Moy man I can assure you. Just giving my opinion that I thought Jordan was good today - defensively very solid and was very good when he moved forward with the ball.

up tyrone

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on July 18, 2010, 11:57:55 PM
Quote from: up tyrone on July 18, 2010, 11:48:48 PM

Monaghan were pathetic.

If you'd bothered to read my comments today you'd read how I had Colm up with Gormley and McCarron for MOTM so you're so far wrong it's not even funny. The world doesn't revolve around the Moy. The anti CC club had plenty of members, I was'nt one. Not often Colm puts in a better performance than Sean, today was for sure one. Philly came thought 4/5 times on the break and completely threw away the ball, you must not have seen the game I watched from the Hill.

He's pure fit and I rate him very highly - Jordan, but FFS grow up, he's not beyond a bit og criticism.
Mayb i`m wrong but i wud say he was involved in at least half a dozen of tyrones scores cleaned up on break ball and his support play was very good also.I`II watch the video anyway!

tyrone86

I'm my humble opinion - which may be coloured by a several hours on the beer and without the aid of highlights or a second viewing-

Negatives: Ricey and Davy should be under serious pressure to start in the QF. For a start - Rory Woods shouldn't be beating any man to the ball - time and time and time again. Secondly, Davy may have got a couple of points but he's still a defensive liability.
Penrose was well snuffed out by young Browne - very few lads he'll meet that are on the same planet as him for pace - he can be forgiven for one off day!

Onto the positives.

Christ, was I wrong about Cathal McCarron! Tremendous man marking performance on Tommy Freeman and looked good on the ball coming out of defence. I don't think he's a future number 3 but he certainly has the makings of  a very good corner back.
I really don't have the superlatives to describe the McMahon brothers in every aspect of the game. Unreal.
Colm Cavanagh? Ahem
Quote from: tyrone86 on February 07, 2010, 12:20:58 AM
As for Cavanagh the younger, play him at 8, 11 or 14 and give him a few weeks in the league to find his feet. He's certainly not a wing or corner man as the game passes him by far too much Sink or swim.

Forward line hasn't really kicked into gear yet - however they tend to be a different proposition in Croke Park. How could you  be concerned about a forward line that has Sean Cavanagh with a performance that was mediocre at best and Stevie O'Neill not even togged out?

Edit: I was particularly harsh on Davy on second viewing, I think Mickey has gave him a specific job to do and it he did it fairly well. Ricey wasn't that bad either - still worrying that Woods was out in from so often but he'll improve.

ONeill

Despite not finding the posts yesterday I thought Mugsy was sharp. He was out in front every time and set up a few scores - completely opposite performance from the Down game. Was it McArdle on him?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wee Shea

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on July 18, 2010, 05:34:01 PM
McCarron was outstanding today and it'd be hard to look past him for MOTM. Gormley was also excellent as was Colm Cavanagh. Maybe Packie should get it for those two unreal saves. The defence was completely outstanding, choking out Monaghan and suffocated them at every opportunity.

Still the wasted opportunities for Tyrone will be a concern against sterner opposition, but with such a strong bench and the likes of CC and McCarron coming good at the right time things are looking good for Tyrone this year. Dare I suggest another Senior/Minor double?

Also, would it have killed yis to do a lap of honour before firing another Ango-Celt in the kit bag and into the back of the bus?

Hardly unreal saves seeing as they were straight at him and he didn't even have to move for them. Any one o us could have saved them.

Hedley Lamarr

Fair play to Tyrone, they bossed the game from the start, very disappointed with Monaghan.

Tyrone will be hard to beat.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Jimmy14

Quote from: Wee Shea on July 19, 2010, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on July 18, 2010, 05:34:01 PM
McCarron was outstanding today and it'd be hard to look past him for MOTM. Gormley was also excellent as was Colm Cavanagh. Maybe Packie should get it for those two unreal saves. The defence was completely outstanding, choking out Monaghan and suffocated them at every opportunity.

Still the wasted opportunities for Tyrone will be a concern against sterner opposition, but with such a strong bench and the likes of CC and McCarron coming good at the right time things are looking good for Tyrone this year. Dare I suggest another Senior/Minor double?

Also, would it have killed yis to do a lap of honour before firing another Ango-Celt in the kit bag and into the back of the bus?

Hardly unreal saves seeing as they were straight at him and he didn't even have to move for them. Any one o us could have saved them.
Two fantastic saves didn't commit himself and made the goal small for the forward...
What gloves was he wearing they looked the business?

timmyot501

Firstly well done to Tyrone, some performances in the full back and half back lines and then throw the keeper into the mix too.  Up front they prob missed as much as they scored which also shows their dominance.
From a Monaghan point of view it was a very disappointing day out.  The missed goal chances could have kept us in it a bit longer but too many of our better players didn't play up to standard and in most cases just were not let play due to Tyrones defensive brilliance.  I thought Woods tried hard throughout, Darren Hughes too and Colin Walshe kept going right until the end.  Our biggest problems were up front. One point by Finlay, one point by Tommy Freeman and just 2 from McManus tells its own story. We had enough of the ball early on around the middle of the field but converting that possession into chances (nevermind scores) was the issue. High balls into a one man full-forward line of Freeman was never going to work.