Rule Changes

Started by rrhf, September 19, 2011, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Video ref will sort a lot of the reffing mistakes out -  I think that refs would appreciate the help they would get from the use of a replay.

Square ball rule should be got rid of.

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 20, 2011, 01:19:23 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2011, 12:33:18 AM
Need 2 referees.
Get rid of fisted points from hands. -why?
Frees inside the 50 yard line must be from the ground. -why?
Clock stopped every time ball goes out of play.

Hard enough to get one referee for most games.
"Fisted" points are nearly all throws  e.g Donaghy's last Sunday. So no harm to ban the skill less nonsense.
Frees from hand should be taken from where the foul occurred i.e apply the rule that is there.
Video refs are all fine and well in big high profile games but what about the U14 Div 4 League game on a  wet Tuesday evening?
Agree with getting rid of square ball rule.
Otherwise implement the rules that are there and tell Joe McQuillan that a man lying down kicking the ball is NOT touching it with his hand.
Also tell refs that it's ok to give the small counties frees against the big counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bcarrier

BennyCake

Need 2 referees.

It's an ugly way to score, and as someone pointed out most of the time it's not actually fisted.

Frees from hands never taken from appropriate place. It also makes our game too much like Aussie rules. Plus, frees from the ground are a dying art. Sheehan's frees on Sunday were superb. We need more like him.

haranguerer

Every second kick should have to be a drop kick. Drop kicks are a dying art. Back when football was class in the 70's they were all at it, surely it would improve the game immeasurably.

fearglasmor

Rugby bans the forward pass, I say the GAA should ban everything except the forward pass - no back or sideways passing or posession goes to the opposition.
Good crack in a training game anyway. Might make Jim McGuinness think again.

nrico2006

1) Independent time keeping
2) Get rid of square ball
3) Lat man professional fouls or any deliberate foul on man through on goal should be a red, not a yellow
4)- Sin Bin those who commit cynical fouls out the field
5) Yappers and those who get in players faces when frees are to be hit should be sin binned i.e. Kieran Donaghy & the face pushing incident.  He, and other players, are constantly pushing and shoving players or holding onto the ball when a free has been given against them yet it is the team who have won the free who is usually penalised as they either try and get the ball back or move the man out of their face yet referees subsequently throw the ball in which is actually rewarding the offender
6) All bans are for a number of matches and not a period of time
7) End selective retrospective video analysis, too inconsistent
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2011, 04:47:03 PM
Need 2 referees.

It's an ugly way to score, and as someone pointed out most of the time it's not actually fisted.

Frees from hands never taken from appropriate place. It also makes our game too much like Aussie rules. Plus, frees from the ground are a dying art. Sheehan's frees on Sunday were superb. We need more like him.
Any ugly way to score??  ???
Its a skill in itself and allows the player to fet a score from close range on the run alot of the time

I agree its great to see a player striking the ball from the ground, but if a player can do that from the hand, then whats wrong with that, the rest of the game is played with the ball in hand.

I would get rid of the square ball rule, and have a real look at getting the tackle properly defined.
They would also need to macke it clear what level of physical contact is acceptable and try and get some consitancey in referees implimenting that.
Alot of refs now seem to take the handy option of blowing nearly all shoulder charges, whether legal or not.

most of the rest of the rules are fine, if they where implimented properly
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

The advantage rule should only apply in the forward position (past midfield) and if no advantage after, say 5 seconds, pull it back and a free to be given from where the foul occurred.

Too many times a player is given advantage and looses the ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Rule 1) no rule changes
Rule 2) see rule 1.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2011, 04:07:47 PM
The advantage rule should only apply in the forward position (past midfield) and if no advantage after, say 5 seconds, pulled back and a free given from where the foul occurred.

Good point.  Was a few obvious cases at the weekend where advantage was given yet the man lost the ball 2 seconds later as a result of the earlier illegal tackle. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Applesisapples

The advantage rule should only apply in the forward position (past midfield) and if no advantage after, say 5 seconds, pull it back and a free to be given from where the foul occurred.

There is no advantage rule in Gaelic Games, all frees should be blown and awarded as per the rules. Some refs may play advantage but that's a different argument. There should be an advantage rule as in rugby or soccer where the player fouled can choose whether to stop/give let play break down and take the free or play on. Ref could allow 4/6 steps before blowing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 21, 2011, 04:50:16 PM

There is no advantage rule in Gaelic Games, all frees should be blown and awarded as per the rules. Some refs may play advantage but that's a different argument. There should be an advantage rule as in rugby or soccer where the player fouled can choose whether to stop/give let play break down and take the free or play on. Ref could allow 4/6 steps before blowing.

Play/watch a lot of games this year ::)

Advantage rule is in lad, where have you been? When the referee raises his hand he's letting advantage go. As for the 4/6 steps, you are allowed 4 already (shakes head) 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

I thought the rule was in that the refereee could play advantage as in let the play continue instead of blowing a free if it was advantageous to the attacking team (many refs used to do this anyway so it was only formalising practice).

This is very different from the advantage rule as we know it from other sports, whereby if no advantage accrues after a certain period the initial free can then be awarded. I'm guessing this is what apples is referring to, and the 4/6 steps is the period he is suggesting the referee allows play to continue before deciding whether an advantage has been gained.

sheamy

Quote from: haranguerer on September 20, 2011, 05:14:54 PM
Every second kick should have to be a drop kick. Drop kicks are a dying art. Back when football was class in the 70's they were all at it, surely it would improve the game immeasurably.

lol...drop kicks are like russian roulette. I've seen some howlers over the years.

Most intercounty footballers can't kick a 30 yard pass accurately, nevermind drop kick it accurately.