Armagh v Wicklow

Started by bennydorano, June 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: David McKeown on July 10, 2011, 08:18:04 PM
I've heard Parnell park mentioned too something to do with replays being in neutral venues? As I said earlier I thought the tannoy last night had said it would be neutral venue.

tyrone drew with louth in 06' and the replay was in omagh - although that was 5 years ago and the rules seem to change year in year out.

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2011, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: clarshack on July 11, 2011, 09:14:24 AM
I've heard Parnell park mentioned too something to do with replays being in neutral venues? As I said earlier I thought the tannoy last night had said it would be neutral venue.

tyrone drew with louth in 06' and the replay was in omagh - although that was 5 years ago and the rules seem to change year in year out.
Antrim drew with Kildare in Newbridge last year. The replay was in Casement. We were stuffed.

Really? What did you have to eat?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Only reason the game wouldnt be in Aughrim is for crowd size and safety reasons.
Seeing as there were 6,415 at the drawn  game I think Aughrim will be well able to handle the crowd.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Family guy on July 11, 2011, 12:45:08 AM
I see johnny murtagh didnt get much game time when he got on to be taken off again,did he get injured or what??
No and when he went up to Donal to ask why, (I was sitting close by and he appeared to say what the f@@k?) Donal just turned a way without so much as a word. Leaving aside the debate as to why Johnny is in the panel or the merits of his inclusion, his humiliation on Saturday Night was undeserved as there were others still on the pitch whos should have been called ashore. Neither Donal or POR said a word to him and he had to come off in front of a stand packed with Armagh fans. A word of explanation or consolation should have been forthcoming. Micko spoke to every Wicklow player who was subbed.

A previous post asked were Armagh poor or Wicklow good? For the answer I refer you back to the Derry match...Poor!

PAULD123

Micko clearly thinks that it will not be neutral, here are his comments on RTE today:

"Ah sure they were telling us that about Armagh when we were going up there that it would be very hard for us to beat them. Down in Aughrim there's a pitch there, it's about 160 yards long and a hundred yards wide so there's no difference playing on that pitch as there is playing on any other pitch in the country.

But yes we've done pretty well there since I went to Wicklow so let's hope it continues there on Saturday."

Rufus T Firefly

Any thoughts about the team for the replay? One of the things that I would take issue with management over is the need to change the team as a reaction - a kneejerk reaction? - to the previous match, rather than considering longer term trends. Anyone can have a bad match but if the form is generally good, then they should retain their place. My fear ahead of next Saturday would be that Dyas would get dropped given the failure of the experiment that saw him moved into attack. I'd commend the management for trying it, but don't lose sight of he fact that he was one of our best players this year - so I hope he is retained in defence.

After that, there appear to be worries about injuries. Paul Duffy and Stevie are meant to be less than 100% fit, which is a worry in itself. Anyone know what the story is with Billy Joe Padden - I can only assume he is hurt if he did no feature at all on Saturday? Add to that Nippy, David McKenna and Kieran Toner who are definitely injured and problems are mounting. However the loss of our best player - Ciaran McKeever - is without doubt a body blow, particularly as a visit to Aughrim is going to require what the British tabloids like to call 'bottle'. If, as is being suggested, he is unavailable, then the loss of his leadership is potentially a game turner.

On the basis that Kieran Toner, Nippy, Ciaran McKeever and David McKenna are uavailable, but Stevie and Duff are fit, I would go with something like;

Hearty

Mallon Donaghy Dyas

Kernan Veron Duffy

Hanratty Lavery

MOR Padden Grugan

Stevie Mackin Jamie

My midfield would be dictated by injuries. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Hanratty, despite missng a couple of very good opportunities. I would have CV at centre back - the alternatives are Martin (not in good form), McKenna (big ask for one so young) and Donaghy (he played very well at 3 - leave well alone). By withdawing CV from midfield, I would give Lavery the benefit of the doubt, as he did not play well on Saturday.

The Mackin experiment worked well, so I'd go with that again, and withdraw MOR to the half forward line. I would have BJP back in at 11 (as he got a raw deal if not injured) and give Grugan ago at 12 - the alternative is Brian Mallon and I think he has had his chance for now and needs to prove his worth again.

I still think we'll be up against it though!!   :-\

holylandsniper

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2011, 12:55:02 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2011, 09:07:19 PM
Why all the booing? Presumably the Armaghs ?
The booing was for the ref, quite the worst display of one-sided refereeing I have ever seen, frees given in at the Armagh end and out at Wicklow end. Both goals should have been free outs. there were more decisions that were questionable too numerous to mention. Some one mentioned Leinster Ref favoring Leinster team, I'm not sure but either way he was worth 2-4 for Wicklow. That said Armagh performance in the first half was crap. The half forward line in particular turned over ball after ball. Also Johnny Murtagh should not be on that panel but even he did not deserve the humiliation served up to him - on 10 mins max and substituted. Smacks of a line that is floundering. Tony Kernan and Johnny Hanratty made some difference as did McParland. Part of me wanted Wicklow to win just to put O'Rourke out of his misery...deadman walking. As for  Michael O'Rourke playing well again and pulled ashore. What does Donal Murtagh see in the stand that we don't?

Would say its a case of black and amber tinted glasses but surely he cant even make it onto 'cross 2nds team... Shoudn't be anywere near an Armagh team, and let's hope thats the end of his Armagh career

#bloodthickerthanwater

mackers

I hear that McKeever is touch and go.
Have to say that I'd have more sympathy for MOR than Johnny Murtagh in respect of his treatment by the management. He has been substituted in the last two games while playing well.
Stevie played better when he moved out to a deeper position, hopefully he will continue there with Malachy and Jamie continuing where they left off on Saturday night.
If our injury list is not too bad and if the spirit shown on Saturday night (after the first 30 mins) continues we will sneak the replay.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Throw ball

Quote from: mackers on July 11, 2011, 01:47:55 PM
Have to say that I'd have more sympathy for MOR than Johnny Murtagh in respect of his treatment by the management. He has been substituted in the last two games while playing well.
Stevie played better when he moved out to a deeper position, hopefully he will continue there with Malachy and Jamie continuing where they left off on Saturday night.
If our injury list is not too bad and if the spirit shown on Saturday night (after the first 30 mins) continues we will sneak the replay.

I assume you will be there Mackers. You will not get to many more matches before you are due your bus pass! ;D

armaghniac

QuoteWould say its a case of black and amber tinted glasses but surely he cant even make it onto 'cross 2nds team.

I'm not saying that Murtagh should be on the Armagh first 15, but he can be a reasonable forward. I don't think the question of his not being suitable for the Cross 2nds arises. When he returned from the US he could not have played for Cross in AI club as he had already played in NY. He then joined  Dublin club so is not eligible to play for Cross currently.

I do think he was reckless in Saturday's game and should have come off for that reason.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

drici

Saturday 7-00pm Aughrim

PatDaly

AFS

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 11, 2011, 12:29:14 PM
I would have CV at centre back - the alternatives are Martin (not in good form), McKenna (big ask for one so young) and Donaghy (he played very well at 3 - leave well alone). By withdawing CV from midfield, I would give Lavery the benefit of the doubt, as he did not play well on Saturday.

This is interesting from a Harps man. I wouldn't have been that impressed by any of the brief stints that Vernon has spent in defence for Armagh. His marking wouldn't be great and his style of tackling sometimes isn't the most controlled, often selling himself by diving in for the big hit. On the other hand McKenna didn't look out of place at all on Saturday in the HB line, and would have plenty of experienced heads around him if he was asked to fill in at 6.

DuffleKing

Jeez rufus, I have to admire you. I wish I still had the heart for in depth analysis at this stage

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on July 11, 2011, 01:47:55 PM
I don't rate Johnny, and he should not have been on in the first place, but contrast O'Dwyer's hand shake and back slap for every man coming off with the treatment of Murtagh and indeed Michael O'Rourke. If the had to take Murtagh off then a quick word would have spared his blushes a bit, Donal would't even speak to him. you can't treat players like that and keep their respect.