Where can I found a Hurling match ?

Started by Leonel, May 07, 2008, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonel

Hi everybody,

I'm a Corsican student finishing my study year in Ireland, and before leaving I would love to see a hurling match. But I can't find where and when...

I managed to find something on ticketmaster for Gaelic Football, but nothing for Hurling. If somebody can advise me, that would be grand !

Cheers

AZOffaly

Hi Leonel,

Welcome on board.

In answer to your question, I suppose it really depends on where in Ireland you are based, or are going to be, and when you leave. Some of the relatively soon 'bigger' games are as follows.

May 25th in Portlaoise is a double header (two games at the same venue on the same day) featuring Dublin versus Westmeath and then Offaly versus Laois. The standard here won't be as high as in some of the later games, but they will be fast, fierce and well contested.

The following weekend is the start of the Munster hurling championship, and sees (on June 1st) the meeting of Clare and Waterford in Limerick.

The weekend after that would be the pick of the 3 opening weekends as the new league Champions Tipperary open up against one of the favourites, Cork, in a game which is a fantastic rivalry between 2 very historic hurling counties.

As a newcomer to the games, any of those 3 would suit you perfectly, but if you are based in Dublin, I would head to Portlaoise on the 25th of May.

scalder

Well the Kilkenny county championship starts this weekend which while not quiet the same buzz as a big intercounty game you would see high quality hurling and experience genuine club hurling. If you're relying on Public transport then maybe Nowlan Park this Sunday for the Carrickshock v Tullaroan game would be a good one (The stadium is beside the train station coming from Dublin).

More here:
http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/site/all_fixtures.php?comp_id=9

thejuice

If your still around on the 1st of June, Clare Vs Waterford in Limerick would be a great game to see and on the 8th is Cork Vs Tipperary in Cork will be another great game.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rav67

If you're looking at ticketmaster I presume you're maybe thinking you will need a ticket to get to an inter-county hurling game.  Don't worry, you will not need one.  Just turn up at the ground for some of the matches mentioned previously and you can pay at the gate.

Leonel

Thank you very much for your answers.

I'm in Athlone, Westmeath, and I will leave the 4th of June. I don't have any car here so anyway I'll have to take the bus.

Limerick might be the easier from Athlone... I'll have a look for it ! And if I don't need to buy tickets in advance, that's great !

ziggysego

Westmeath play Dublin in the Quarter-Final of the Leinster Hurling Championship on 25 May 2008 at Portlaois.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: Leonel on May 08, 2008, 11:45:07 PM
Thank you very much for your answers.

I'm in Athlone, Westmeath, and I will leave the 4th of June. I don't have any car here so anyway I'll have to take the bus.

Limerick might be the easier from Athlone... I'll have a look for it ! And if I don't need to buy tickets in advance, that's great !

There are direct buses from Athlone to Limerick alright, but I'd say, being in Westmeath, that you'd have a better chance of getting to Portlaoise on the 25th. The double header there has Offaly and Westmeath, so you might even be able to arrange a lift from some of your fellow students.

bottlethrower7

Lionel, the lads should be able to point you to some junior B games in Offaly. It doesn't really get much better than that. Right on your doorstep too

AZOffaly

That's true BT7. Although more suited to Spaniards who like the old bullfighting :D

neilthemac

there are club games on in Westmeath this weekend

check out the local papers

Leonel

Great !

Is that the reason why we start to see Westmeath flags in town ?  :)

I'll try to manage something then... Right that it will be better to see the team from where I live this year !

AZOffaly

The Westmeath flags (Maroon and White) will be up for the football probably, against Longford on Sunday, but if you are around, I would say go to Portlaoise for the hurlers against Dublin. You'll get 2 games in one day.