Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 12, 2015, 05:05:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 04:54:29 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 04:43:18 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on November 12, 2015, 04:30:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 04:02:47 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2015, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 03:39:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 02:31:43 PM
Whitey, why does a cop have to be of a different race for it to be a signal of racial prejudice?

The issue is the institution and who the agent represents , not  just the individual. Society views black men with suspicion. That seeps into police policy and actions. A black cop can easily have preconceptions about likely guilt based purely on skin colour and thus conduct themselves  differently than if it were some white or Asian  person they were looking at.

So following that logic...a Garda (let's say from Kerry) stationed in Dublin.....who comes down hard on a tracksuit wearing resident of Ballymun or Finglas is rascist toward white people....interesting point of view.

Not to put words in J70's mouth but, em, no? You're not following the logic at all. Nor do I suspect you're attempting to.

It's EXACTLY the scenario he's painting.

Do you think you can be rascist to your own race?

J70 has made a perfectly reasonable point - and to elaborate on it - imagine a guard came down hard on a Traveller, simply because he was a Traveller - prejudice is prejudice whether it is based on race, appearance, class or demographic.

Remember the standard that we should be judged on - the content of our character only.

So if the Garda was a traveller, and he came down hard on a fellow traveller simply because he was a traveller, then following your logic, he would be prejudiced against travelers.

Yes.

What other conclusion could you possibly  draw if he came down hard only because  the guy was a traveller.

I think what whitey is saying is that if a Garda came down heavily on a traveller and was actually a traveller himself, then it would be fairly unlikely the reason he came down hard on him was due to him being a traveller. And could just be a case of the garda being a dick rather than racist motives.

He said "came down hard simply because  he was a traveller "

J70

On the video Whitey (just watched it - f**k me! :o), did BLM really protest AFTER seeing it?

Because  that guy was clearly a serious  and present danger to the public and police who had to be stopped immediately.

whitey

Whitey, why does a cop have to be of a different race for it to be a signal of racial prejudice?

The issue is the institution and who the agent represents , not  just the individual. Society views black men with suspicion. That seeps into police policy and actions. A black cop can easily have preconceptions about likely guilt based purely on skin colour and thus conduct themselves  differently than if it were some white or Asian  person they were looking at.

So following that logic...a Garda (let's say from Kerry) stationed in Dublin.....who comes down hard on a tracksuit wearing resident of Ballymun or Finglas is rascist toward white people....interesting point of view.

Not to put words in J70's mouth but, em, no? You're not following the logic at all. Nor do I suspect you're attempting to.

J70 has made a perfectly reasonable point - and to elaborate on it - imagine a guard came down hard on a Traveller, simply because he was a Traveller - prejudice is prejudice whether it is based on race, appearance, class or demographic.

Remember the standard that we should be judged on - the content of our character only.

So if the Garda was a traveller, and he came down hard on a fellow traveller simply because he was a traveller, then following your logic, he would be prejudiced against travelers.

Yes.

What other conclusion could you possibly  draw if he came down hard only because  the guy was a traveller.

I think what whitey is saying is that if a Garda came down heavily on a traveller and was actually a traveller himself, then it would be fairly unlikely the reason he came down hard on him was due to him being a traveller. And could just be a case of the garda being a dick rather than racist motives.

Yes...that is exactly my point

trueblue1234

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 05:12:42 PM

Yes.

He said "came down hard simply because  he was a traveller "

Yeah I think that came from Gallsman's post. But I think what he meant was what I said.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 05:14:06 PM
On the video Whitey (just watched it - f**k me! :o), did BLM really protest AFTER seeing it?

Because  that guy was clearly a serious  and present danger to the public and police who had to be stopped immediately.

Not only did they protest, but this interaction was recorded (with a black cop I might add)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ULf-n8l2rY0

(Oh.....I just read the comments on the video and it seems like it keeps getting deleted by people who do t want it to be seen)

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 05:15:37 PM

Yes.

If a cop is a dick to a guy simply because he is a traveller, that is clearly evidence that the cop has some kind of issue with travellers. If I'm missing  something, please fill me in!

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 05:30:23 PM

Yes.

If a cop is a dick to a guy simply because he is a traveller, that is clearly evidence that the cop has some kind of issue with travellers. If I'm missing  something, please fill me in!

What you're missing is the scenario where he cop in question is  a TRAVELLER himself.

Can a "TRAVELLER GARDA" be prejudiced against "CIVILIAN TRAVELLERS"

easytiger95

Splitting hairs here a bit - I know Travellers are campaigning to be officially recognised as an ethnic grouping but, if we take as a starting point, two white men, one a guard, who treats the other unfairly because he hears from the accent that he is a traveller. Is there any difference between a black cop looking at someone wearing a hoodie and his jeans slung low and treating him unfairly?

Picking the most unlikely example, saying it can't be proved and then extrapolating backwards from that, won't wash. There are countless examples throughout history of oppressive systems using members of a particular ethnic group to persecute that group. I'm not going to go into them because the conversation is guaranteed to take a swerve into some fairly unsavory alleys.

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 05:33:07 PM

Yes.

What you're missing is the scenario where he cop in question is  a TRAVELLER himself.

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 05:25:20 PM

Not only did they protest, but this interaction was recorded (with a black cop I might add)

(Oh.....I just read the comments on the video and it seems like it keeps getting deleted by people who do t want it to be seen)

That looks like it was filmed in the aftermath. The cop was explaining  what happened.

Can't see much damning  with that. The protester got a bit stroppy about the cops putting their hands on them, but thats about it.

J70

Yes.

I didn't miss that. I already answered it. And the answer is yes.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 05:37:03 PM

Yes.

That looks like it was filmed in the aftermath. The cop was explaining  what happened.

Can't see much damning  with that. The protester got a bit stroppy about the cops putting their hands on them, but thats about it.

Well BLM must feel it hurts their cause because they keep deleting it

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 05:37:03 PM

Yes.

Well BLM must feel it hurts their cause because they keep deleting it

Maybe they do, but I don't see much wrong with it. Tensions run high in those situations . The cop did a great job keeping it all reasonably calm.

whitey

Yes, but they're on the street  protesting the shooting of a career criminal who shot a police officer in the face at point blank range and then continued firing at the other officers. Do you think that helps their cause?

Gmac

Suppose I was a cop on the south side of Chicago for 20  years and over that time 80% of people I arrested for drug possession or intent to distribute were black with hoodies and pants hanging around their arses would I be a racist for watching out for said persons to pull over or traffic stop or would I be a good cop ,?

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 12, 2015, 06:04:18 PM
Yes, but they're on the street  protesting the shooting of a career criminal who shot a police officer in the face at point blank range and then continued firing at the other officers. Do you think that helps their cause?

Depends on timeline. If they're protesting  before they knew the details, it could be understood. If they're still out after that video is made public, then if course that is damaging to their cause.

I don't know  how well coordinated and run the movement  is in terms of setting up protests and controlling where and when they occur.