Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on June 06, 2022, 05:29:42 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2022, 01:28:31 PM
Clones Sunday at 4pm for Donegal v Armagh it seems.

Why not Omagh or Enniskillen on Saturday evening?

Madness.

Sunday suits as many people as Saturday. And while you are saying that people will not come from outer Donegal, at least in Clones anyone who wants a ticket will be able to get one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

The GAA is a business.
It's not there to sort out local communities or think about fan welfare.
It's about maximising profits and honouring contracts.

The welfare of Pubs, shops and petrol stations in Roscommon or Tullamore is of no concern to the GAA.

illdecide

Where's Casement Pk when you need it.

Clones suits Armagh although coming from north of the Co it will be 80-90 mins and Clones is terrible to park and get in and out of but glad it's there and not Croke Park. Wouldn't have been surprised if they'd fixed it for the Hyde knowing them
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Loughshore2022

In 2005 I recall attending a qualifier double header in Croke Park, 3 Ulster teams and Laois. The attendance was 36000 that day.

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2022, 06:02:09 PM

Madness.

Sunday suits as many people as Saturday. And while you are saying that people will not come from outer Donegal, at least in Clones anyone who wants a ticket will be able to get one.

I'd be fairly confident Omagh or Bewster could easily accommodate this match.

I'll be stunned if you get 5K from Donegal for this, especially if you're looking at getting home between 9 and 11pm on a work night.

yellowcard

The venue decision is made primarily on what is best commercially for the GAA. The ordinary match going fan are treated as consumers and the GAA need to maximise lost revenue from Joe Public after 2 years of reduced match day revenue. That's the sad reality but I can see an awful lot of people choosing to stay at home on Saturday in particular.

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 06, 2022, 06:10:40 PM

The welfare of Pubs, shops and petrol stations in Roscommon or Tullamore is of no concern to the GAA.

Are you saying there would have been more people in Croke Park than in Tullamore say, last Saturday evening?

How many people are needed in CP to make it viable, business wise?

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on June 06, 2022, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2022, 06:02:09 PM

Madness.

I'll be stunned if you get 5K from Donegal for this, especially if you're looking at getting home between 9 and 11pm on a work night.

Again it's a commercial decision I'd say, the GAA lose Vat on matches held in the north. They will have worked out which venue they can get the most revenue from and made the decision accordingly.

armaghniac

The GAA is a business.

The GAA is not a business, it is an association of its members, and the welfare of those members should be a concern. Businesses in Roscommon or Tullamore might well be putting something in the GAA, whereas many in Dublin do not.

It isn't clear what maximises revenue for the GAA in this case. Croker is expensive to operate, will it get more people?

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 06:36:43 PM
Again it's a commercial decision I'd say, the GAA lose Vat on matches held in the north. They will have worked out which venue they can get the most revenue from and made the decision accordingly.

Is that VAT thing actually true. Was there not some discussion about that? Anyone in the accounting end know?

Games of any importance were always typically at 3:30 on a Sunday, does having it at 4pm actually make that much of a difference? Unless you live on Tory island you'd be home at  8:30pm and have your tea before the Sunday Game.

Now the electronic distribution of tickets does make things easier, allowing a ground be filled effectively, so in that respect Brewster or Omagh is easier than in the past. But having some capacity means that you can send the clubs a sufficiency of tickets, if people want them, and have them online as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full moon

The GAA is a business.

You must be thinking of the Premier League. The GAA is primarily an amateur sporting and cultural organisation that promotes Gaelic Games and pastimes.

Your comment that GAA is not concerned by fan welfare or local communities is not true, but the way it is being run by the accountants in Croke Park one might be misled into thinking that.

GAA should not be above maximising profits about fan welfare or local communities. It has become like that but isn't in tune with the ethos of the organisation.

full moon

Doesn't the fixing of these games in Croke Park run totally against the reasoning we got for Tailteann Cup regionalisation split? Like less travel and fuel costs for teams and supporters, more interest locally etc.

yellowcard

Quote from: full moon on June 06, 2022, 07:06:18 PM
Doesn't the fixing of these games in Croke Park run totally against the reasoning we got for Tailteann Cup regionalisation split? Like less travel and fuel costs for teams and supporters, more interest locally etc.

Very good point. It's either one or the other but it can't be both. They should come out and give their reasoning for asking 3 western counties supporters to trek across the country on 5 hour round trips.

yellowcard

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2022, 06:42:20 PM
The GAA is a business.

The GAA is not a business, it is an association of its members, and the welfare of those members should be a concern. Businesses in Roscommon or Tullamore might well be putting something in the GAA, whereas many in Dublin do not.

It isn't clear what maximises revenue for the GAA in this case. Croker is expensive to operate, will it get more people?

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 06:36:43 PM

Is that VAT thing actually true. Was there not some discussion about that? Anyone in the accounting end know?

Games of any importance were always typically at 3:30 on a Sunday, does having it at 4pm actually make that much of a difference? Unless you live on Tory island you'd be home at  8:30pm and have your tea before the Sunday Game.

Now the electronic distribution of tickets does make things easier, allowing a ground be filled effectively, so in that respect Brewster or Omagh is easier than in the past. But having some capacity means that you can send the clubs a sufficiency of tickets, if people want them, and have them online as well.

The Vat thing used to be true it was a big part of the reason for having Ulster finals in Clones, I'm not sure if it's still the case.

Captain Scarlet

If you are bringing teams across the country tickets should be around €25 and there should be links with transport too.

Kildare fans won't travel and are giving out about Croker Park and there is some love for Tullamore, even though less than 5000 went to the first game in Leinster there. Being honest, the stadium just has such a negative for fans now after all the hidings from the Dubs.
I'd say it would be good for Mayo as a team to get a game there and probably a win.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Quote from: full moon on June 06, 2022, 07:01:14 PM
The GAA is a business.

You must be thinking of the Premier League. The GAA is primarily an amateur sporting and cultural organisation that promotes Gaelic Games and pastimes.

Your comment that GAA is not concerned by fan welfare or local communities is not true, but the way it is being run by the accountants in Croke Park one might be misled into thinking that.

GAA should not be above maximising profits about fan welfare or local communities. It has become like that but isn't in tune with the ethos of the organisation.

Your reply is a loaded with contradictions. You seem unsure of the ethos of the organisation.