44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Fishead_Sam

This game is sounding like it could be
Derry 4.08
Mayo 1.17

With Derry banging in the goals & Mayo popping over the points.

Bogball XV

Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2007, 12:23:29 PM
is it definetly going to be on in celtic park? ipresume Armagh were selected at home yesterday.
it a grand pitch the most thing i rmember about it is the fiercesome cold but that wont be a problem next week. will it?.
no real parking other than in residential areas unless they allow the cars to park in the middle of the old dogtack beside the football pitch .

Very Much BTW
I know freud would have something to say but does the the Peanalty and exclusion together area not looks like a bit odd.
Neither Armagh nor Fermanagh have a ground capable of hosting a qualifier at the moment (Fermanagh doing work on Enniskillen, Armagh, don't have one) - Celtic Park has hosted quite a few qualifiers, but they wouldn't allow us to play Dublin there when we were drew at home against them!!
As for the penalty area and exclusion area when looked at from that rather peculiar angle, I don't know what you mean at all - why what do you see??

OirthearMhaigheo

I was pretty happy to see Armagh getting knocked out as they were probably the team everybody wanted to avoid, but then we go and draw the team that beat them... away, so not the ideal draw in fairness. I still think it's as well to get a good test though and Derry with that FF line will certainly be some test, if we can learn to deal with the likes of Bradley and Muldoon we will be on the right track. The only worry is how to we fix the problems of Saturday? That whole full-back line was poor, only Trevor Howley after an initial roasting managed to get into it and in the end he escaped with his reputation intact, thanks mainly to Larry Reilly going off. O'Malley and Higgins were brutal, and for all his qualities K Higgins wouldn't solve all those problems as he is nowhere near sticky enough to be a top corner back, just yet anyway. Who are they going to throw in the next day? we will need some height to handle Muldoon. I thought the Trevor experiment worked, I'd stick with that again for another day anyway, he attacked well but also read the game well defensively and picked up alot of breaking ball in the second half.
D Kilcullen didn't have a good day at the office, he looked a bag of nerves at times, I'd be inclined to give him another go. Everyone reacts differently to making their debut, Hanley thrived on it, Kilcullen didn't, but he is a much better player than he looked so I'd stick with experiment number 2 aswell. Hanley as everybody has said was a success, brings something new to the setup, pace and power along with finishing ability are all too rare in our county, we have found a gem in this fella. I'd also stick with B Moran at FF, he wasn't overly convincing but he really upset their fullback line and he showed good mobility at times, I think himself and D Kilcullen are in the same boat, they'll get better with time and practice.
I'd say the last night could be the end of the road for Billy Joe and Gardner, Harte will come in at no. 10 I think and Heaney will drop back to 5/6 when McGarrity comes on (McGarrity will hardly start the next day?). BJP seems lost at the moment and Gardner, well we know what he can and can't do at this stage, but we can't afford having both him and Trevor in the half-back line.
As for the full-back line, if the management solve that conundrum we'll take serious beating, the problem is are the players there?
Tough test ahead against Doire, but if we have serious ambitions, it's a game we should be winning, even if it is up there.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 09, 2007, 03:06:17 PM
I was pretty happy to see Armagh getting knocked out as they were probably the team everybody wanted to avoid, but then we go and draw the team that beat them... away, so not the ideal draw in fairness. I still think it's as well to get a good test though and Derry with that FF line will certainly be some test, if we can learn to deal with the likes of Bradley and Muldoon we will be on the right track. The only worry is how to we fix the problems of Saturday? That whole full-back line was poor, only Trevor Howley after an initial roasting managed to get into it and in the end he escaped with his reputation intact, thanks mainly to Larry Reilly going off. O'Malley and Higgins were brutal, and for all his qualities K Higgins wouldn't solve all those problems as he is nowhere near sticky enough to be a top corner back, just yet anyway. Who are they going to throw in the next day? we will need some height to handle Muldoon. I thought the Trevor experiment worked, I'd stick with that again for another day anyway, he attacked well but also read the game well defensively and picked up alot of breaking ball in the second half.
D Kilcullen didn't have a good day at the office, he looked a bag of nerves at times, I'd be inclined to give him another go. Everyone reacts differently to making their debut, Hanley thrived on it, Kilcullen didn't, but he is a much better player than he looked so I'd stick with experiment number 2 aswell. Hanley as everybody has said was a success, brings something new to the setup, pace and power along with finishing ability are all too rare in our county, we have found a gem in this fella. I'd also stick with B Moran at FF, he wasn't overly convincing but he really upset their fullback line and he showed good mobility at times, I think himself and D Kilcullen are in the same boat, they'll get better with time and practice.
I'd say the last night could be the end of the road for Billy Joe and Gardner, Harte will come in at no. 10 I think and Heaney will drop back to 5/6 when McGarrity comes on (McGarrity will hardly start the next day?). BJP seems lost at the moment and Gardner, well we know what he can and can't do at this stage, but we can't afford having both him and Trevor in the half-back line.
As for the full-back line, if the management solve that conundrum we'll take serious beating, the problem is are the players there?
Tough test ahead against Doire, but if we have serious ambitions, it's a game we should be winning, even if it is up there.
[/quo
I didnt BJ Paden was that bad,he went through a power of ball and is it any wonder he is the way he is after all the messing he has had to endure all year. Give him another chance i say.

mylestheslasher

Having watched Mayo beat Cavan on Saturday I don't think Derry will have too much trouble here. As long as Derry break even around the middle they will win. Mayo FB line is poor and they will struggle with high ball into Muldoon and any ball into Bradley. I expect Lockhart to pocket mortimor. A confident Derry team is nearly impossible to beat in Celtic park.

IolarCoisCuain

I believe that game is now fixed for Saturday at half-three in Celtic Park. Anyone able to confirm or deny? There was some slobbering last time about when the games would be played. :(

AbbeySider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 09, 2007, 03:53:01 PM
Having watched Mayo beat Cavan on Saturday I don't think Derry will have too much trouble here. As long as Derry break even around the middle they will win. Mayo FB line is poor and they will struggle with high ball into Muldoon and any ball into Bradley. I expect Lockhart to pocket mortimor. A confident Derry team is nearly impossible to beat in Celtic park.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now that is confidence.
Il remind you of that quote next Monday morning.
Do you honestly think the Mayo full back line wont be changed around?

Your innocence is unbelievable!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bogball XV

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 09, 2007, 04:10:24 PM
I believe that game is now fixed for Saturday at half-three in Celtic Park. Anyone able to confirm or deny? There was some slobbering last time about when the games would be played. :(
I hope not, that would hardly be on tv then.

tbrick18

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 09, 2007, 03:53:01 PM

In my opinion the Derry fullback line and full forward line are superior to those of Mayo, but the rest of the field is 50/50.
I think if we can get fair share around the middle third we should shade it by a point or two, but only if the right Derry team show up.
If the team against Monaghan show up, and judging on how we've perfromed in the passed after a big win that might well be the case, Mayo will destroy us. But, if we play the way we can, I think we will be too physical around the middle third for Mayo and as such the Derry verdict.

I hope this doesnt come across as being over-confident because I am anything but.

Barney

Game confirmed for Celtic Park at 3.30 on Saturday

Tyrone Dreamer

It might still be on tv at 3.30. They showed dublin cork in hurling at this time. I see on the schedule they have it down for 2 matches on tv but it was the same last weekend and there was only 1. Ideally this game would be live at 3.30 and the westmeath/donegal or meath/fermanagh at 6.30. Cant see it happening though. Will the famous Derry support turn up for the match? It will be an interesting game and we'll learn exactly were Mayo are at. Derry are physically very strong in some sections of the pitch and on there day can be a match for anyone. Whether they turn up on Saturday is the big question - they were terriblle against Monaghan. People could be guilty of reading to much into yesterday - Armagh havent played a decent game all year and despite their supporters claims they were top 3 after a defeat to Donegal I dont think they were even close. With Muldoon back Derry could be very dangerous up front if they kick the ball in early and expose Mayo's weaknesses in defence. Very interesting game ahead.

Fishead_Sam

See so far most people going with Derry on this one in the poll, I think 3.30 is to give us Mayo people a chance to get home after, I suppose ya have to give alot of time in the evening, some parts of Mayo 1&half - 2 hours from the Sligo border

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 09, 2007, 04:28:44 PM
It might still be on tv at 3.30. They showed dublin cork in hurling at this time. I see on the schedule they have it down for 2 matches on tv but it was the same last weekend and there was only 1. Ideally this game would be live at 3.30 and the westmeath/donegal or meath/fermanagh at 6.30. Cant see it happening though. Will the famous Derry support turn up for the match? It will be an interesting game and we'll learn exactly were Mayo are at. Derry are physically very strong in some sections of the pitch and on there day can be a match for anyone. Whether they turn up on Saturday is the big question - they were terriblle against Monaghan. People could be guilty of reading to much into yesterday - Armagh havent played a decent game all year and despite their supporters claims they were top 3 after a defeat to Donegal I dont think they were even close. With Muldoon back Derry could be very dangerous up front if they kick the ball in early and expose Mayo's weaknesses in defence. Very interesting game ahead.

Think your right Tyrone Dreamer, Mayo are famous for struggling miserably past weaker opposition but then are World Beaters against the other big boys (except Kerry)

Bogball XV

Their listing is for a game at 6.30 on tv - probably be another meaningless hurling qualifier - cork v tipp most likely.
Can't see them showing a game during the day too, though you're right about Dublin v Cork.
Re the Derry attendance, it'll not be good, that time doesn't suit people, it's also the holidays for many derry folk (witness their complete absence from the board today).
I remember up at the Derry v Kildare game in Celtic Park last year, timed for 3.30 on a saturday too, about 2000 made the trip - if that.
Hopefully the win on Sunday will get a few more there, but I can't make it.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/webcastschedule.html

Fishead_Sam

A Sh!t is this that really dodgy week up north, never would have copped it until ya said. Feck just got real nervous about wearing the GAA jersey up there. Hope no-one points out what the Green over the Red stands for  :o